Cyclists being allowed to run red lights in Paris

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Apologies if the has already been posted/discussed, but I did a search and didn't find anything ...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-n ... 6266066014
Paris is to become one of the first major capital cities in the world to officially allow cyclists to ride through red lights.

The radical measure, which is intended to cut down on accidents, will be studied by city and town planners in numerous other countries outside France, including Britain.

<snip>

It will allow those on bicycles to turn right or go straight ahead, even when a traffic light is on red.

But they will have to give way to pedestrians, and traffic coming from the left. Crucially, they will also be held responsible if there is an accident.
Thoughts and opinions?

trailgumby

Re: Cyclists being allowed to run red lights in Paris

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Oxford wrote: can you imagine that rule in Australia, just what would the shock jocks complain about then?
Some other "out" group, or failing that, about cyclists getting special treatment.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:30 pm

I look forward to seeing the results of the trial but can not see AU politicians snubbing their constituents in the motoring associations and manufacturers lobby by giving cyclists an undeserved (in their eyes) exemption to a rule. The possible upside were it to happen would be 'Arold Skrulloose keeling over of apoplexy. :twisted:
Oxford wrote:... just what would the shock jocks complain about then?
Blah blah don't pay road tax. Blah blah privileged. Blah blah, menace to pedestrians. Blah blah don't pay road tax. Blah blah MAMILs. Blah blah should be registered. Blah blah don't pay road tax. Blah blah stopping me blasting away at the lights so I can test the brakes at the next ones. Blah blah perfectly good bike path over there. Blah blah arrogant. Blah blah hog all the good cafes. Blah blah don't pay road tax. Blah blah selfish. Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah blah ad infinitum.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm

In Paris, cars don't stop at pedestrian crossings. In Milan, cars regularly ignore red lights. In both cities, they allow cyclists on footpaths.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

The radical measure, which is intended to cut down on accidents
Roll through red lights to cut down on accidents. This is a new one. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:16 pm

sogood wrote:
The radical measure, which is intended to cut down on accidents
Roll through red lights to cut down on accidents. This is a new one. :mrgreen:
Sounds crazy, but I reckon it'll work.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:29 pm

rkelsen wrote:Sounds crazy, but I reckon it'll work.
Know Paris streets well and I'd agree it'll likely to work if it's treated like a give-way. Yet again, Parisian drivers/road users are pretty crazy.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Well we do it here all the time and no one blinks an eyelid. Won't really change anything.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:00 pm

There are plenty of intersections up here in Darwin with signs saying "Left turn on red permitted after stopping". These can work really well, although people often don't stop completely.

There's a bike path that dumps you at an intersection on the edge of town that had one though, and a couple of cyclist got hit by cars looking right for oncoming traffic and then driving into a cyclist crossing the intersection. The driver is considered at fault because they didn't check for a clear path, but it's clear that it can be confusing.

In the right place they make a lot of sense.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm surprised Parisians bothered to make it legal, rather than just ignoring / not enforcing the law.

One of my favourite signs in France went something along the lines of "it is absolutely forbidden for you to go beynd this point. When you do ...".

Different culture, different attitude to both bikes and the law.
Mulger bill wrote:The possible upside were it to happen would be 'Arold Skrulloose keeling over of apoplexy. :twisted:
Yep, hopefully someone will have video

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:32 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:There are plenty of intersections up here in Darwin with signs saying "Left turn on red permitted after stopping". These can work really well, although people often don't stop completely.
I've seen a lot of intersections like that overseas - can't remember where though. So if you drive on the left side of the road, you can turn left on red if its clear. Kind of like a slip lane here in qld, without actually being slip lane.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm

sogood wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Sounds crazy, but I reckon it'll work.
Know Paris streets well and I'd agree it'll likely to work if it's treated like a give-way. Yet again, Parisian drivers/road users are pretty crazy.
+ 1

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:49 pm

People usually judge the intersection before plowing through ... If it is a buzy 4 lane road you wait at the lights ( probably in the bike lane ).
There are hundreds of bike lanes in town... Many of them go against the flow of traffic on small one way roads. Like I said ... No one bats an eyelid.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Inwood wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:There are plenty of intersections up here in Darwin with signs saying "Left turn on red permitted after stopping". These can work really well, although people often don't stop completely.
I've seen a lot of intersections like that overseas - can't remember where though. So if you drive on the left side of the road, you can turn left on red if its clear. Kind of like a slip lane here in qld, without actually being slip lane.
This is a blanket rule in almost all US states (turn Right of course :wink: )
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Sheep syndrome - often see someone run a red safely only to have some half dead muppet wander across thinking the coast must be clear.

Happens a lot with iped who are texting or kids.

Given we have MHL in place we have no chance of this coming in. It would be good in the city during peak hour when its a carpark and your just waiting for nothing.

JM