southern noobie

adam81

southern noobie

Postby adam81 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi I'm new on the forum and I just wanted to say hi. I just got back into cycling after a 10 year break. I have been riding to work most days then usually catch the train in the arvo to make the ride home shorter. I have even got the wife riding now. We caught the train to mandurah on the weekend then rode back to rockingham via the coastal cycling path as much as we could. It was such a good relaxing ride and great fun. The only thing that mared the ride was getting egged and swerved at by a car in secret harbour. other than that it was a good ride. The train has really opened up the options for riding for us down south and is great planing on doing a ride around the swan river one weekend soon.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:33 pm

Howdy Adam.

I think most of us have got back into riding after x years. Funny that!! Not good about the egging and car in SH - could you get the number and report them to the plods? It isn't legal and the driver can be charged surely?!

The ride around the river is certainly a nice one (except with the current screaming easterly!!) and I'm sure you'd both enjoy it. Maybe do 2 laps and have lunch in South Perth along the way :)

What are you and the mrs currently riding?

adam81

Postby adam81 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 pm

We both ride Avanti sprints we bought them about 2 years ago and they got one or two runs but then sat in the back room for 2 years then got rediscovered when I got a job closer to home. I seem to get the head winds going to work then it shifts in the arvo so I get them on the way home to, so
I'm used to riding against the wind.

I have already made a statement and the plods should be knocking on their door soon. They slowed down long enough for me to get a good look at their license plate. :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forums. We sometimes have a southern forum ride so maybe you and your wife can come along and put a face to the names here.

Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:47 pm

adam81 wrote: I have already made a statement and the plods should be knocking on their door soon. They slowed down long enough for me to get a good look at their license plate. :roll:
Best news I've had all day :D

I'm a NOR girl, and tend to ride south/north in the arvos, so love the seabreeze too :!:

Glad the bug has bitten you both again. You'll be totally addicted in no time.

adam81

Postby adam81 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:43 pm

any recommendations on good cafe/coffee shops around the river?

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Bottom of East Street, between the bridges in East Freo, Point Walter in Melville. Deep Water point at Mt Pleasent, quite a few at South Perth Coode Street jetty, Claisebrook Cove in East Perth, Barrack Street jetty, the Old Brewery at the bottom of Kings Park, Frazers at Kings Park, there's a few more along the river on the north bank but you'll have ODed on caffine by the time you got back to East Freo. :wink:

Les

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:33 pm

"L2" and "The Mill on Norfolk" in Freo are both good. L2 in particular look after us recumbent riders on a Sunday morning (one of us once left a water bottle behind: they kept it and returned it to us three weeks later when we next stopped there.)

There's also a nice one in Applecross that we usually stop at on Sundays too, but I can't remember the name right now.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

adam81

Postby adam81 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:59 am

thanks for the recommendations, will have to try a few of those out. Hopefully the weekend will be a bit nicer than today, I found out why you should have mudguards on your bike :lol: . I got about half way to work before the heavens opened up.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:57 pm

:lol: sorry...but I just had a really funny picture of someone riding a sensible bike to work (maybe a fold up) with trouser clips etc, then sitting at a desk in trousers, white shirt, sensible tie...a a jolly huge black stripe up the back of the shirt!! :lol:

Maybe you need to be in my head to find that funny!! :wink:

It started to rain at 5.15am at our place today. Had 10.5mm by 8am when I left for work. Looking at the radar, we just had a big yellow blob go over our house so will be interesting to see what we end up with.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:06 pm

We stopped in at the cafe in Applecross yesterday, so I got the name for you:

Sensations en Ardross

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

adam81

Postby adam81 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:21 pm

no thankfully I wear overalls. I turned back 5 min into my ride and got a plastic bag for my overalls so had nice dry clothes when I got to work :D . The back of my legs, shorts and socks were a little dirty :roll: To bad I don't have a spare 10k for a velomobile. :lol: