Jabiru - Road Cycling Routes

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:45 am

I'll be living here shortly, and will need to fulfil my yearning to keep bike riding on the road.

Anyone from this way that rides on the open roads?

Tips/traps?

Krank

master6

Re: Jabiru - Road Cycling Routes

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:56 am

Watch out for Poms marvelling at the stars at night.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 am

Krank wrote:I'll be living here shortly, and will need to fulfil my yearning to keep bike riding on the road.

Anyone from this way that rides on the open roads?

Tips/traps?

Krank
There are only two roads - the Arnhem Hwy and the Kakadu Hwy. You will probably better off with an MTB. Better still, take up fishing and bag a few barra.

Beware of crocs - keep out off and away from the water.

Beware of indigenous Australians driving Landcruisers
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:02 pm

lol.

looks like I better buy an indoor trainer now.... :-((

Krnak

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Krank wrote:lol.

looks like I better buy an indoor trainer now.... :-((

Krnak
It's actually a great place to enjoy the outdoor life - but probably not on a roadie. Get yourself an old 4wd bush basher, a tinny and outboard motor, and a decent sized esky (for the barra of course).

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Yeah.

Just organising this now :-)

Buying a brand new polycraft 4.1m with a 50HP Honda, towed by a 1995 V8 Landrover..

Krank

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Heya Krank,

off bike topic, but 4.1m is remember 2m shorter than a lot of crocs up here..... make sure the motor is running VERY well :)

on bike topic, roads are !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! for roadie stuff.... tourists, road trains and all that mean roads are garbage unless ur in darwin, when its ok.
get a MTB, some insane stuff over in Jabiru!!

and yeah, the only safe place to swim in kakadu is jabiru swimming pool...
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks Lucas.

The 4,1m will be getting a brand new Honda 4T 50HP, max speed 60kph, so I think I will be fine :-)

So, I guess I have to hang up the roadie... :-(

Splash

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Krank wrote: So, I guess I have to hang up the roadie... :-(

There is a cycling club in Darwin, so obviously there are cycling opportunities. I saw some of them competing in the NT road championships in Alice Springs last September.
Contact the club to discover more.

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 pm

Thansk MAster6.

Living 3.0 hour east of Darwin will not help my cause trying to cycle with the club on a regular basis... :cry:

Training for the NT road championships from Jabiru may also prove difficult - due the previous posts made in this thread... :cry:

But, does sound very inviting and something great to aim for!!

Krank

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:43 pm

master6 wrote:
Krank wrote: So, I guess I have to hang up the roadie... :-(

There is a cycling club in Darwin, so obviously there are cycling opportunities. I saw some of them competing in the NT road championships in Alice Springs last September.
Contact the club to discover more.
Peter Westcoast from Bicycle NT is a frequent poster on the forums can probably offer more advice...send Peter a PM.

But with a brand new polycraft 4.1m with a 50HP Honda, towed by a 1995 V8 Landrover to play with, in the middle of Kakadu...it would be very easy to park the bike. :lol:

Krank

Postby Krank » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm

thanks ronk

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 am

and u will gain more friends if u have the boat.... not the bike hahaahah
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

Krank

Postby Krank » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Indeedly!

I'll post up some barra pics when I settle :D

Krank

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Krank wrote:Indeedly!

I'll post up some barra pics when I settle :D

Krank
hehe, when you finally boat that 50kg+ barra with your tiny Shimano baitcaster, your heart rate will be higher than you ever got it on a bike.

Posted via Tapatalk

Krank

Postby Krank » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:15 am

yeah - sure will be :D

Krank

V17L

Postby V17L » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:02 am

G'Day Krank
I've use to spend a little time there, mainly as a staging piont for work.

Not many different roads for a roadie, only three come to mind, out to Cahills Crossing, out to Yellow waters and out along the Arnhem Highway. All sealed.

I would suggest there would be lots of places for a mountain bike. The road into Arhnemland towards oenpelli is stunning, depending on the time of the year. Wetlands for miles.

If you get a chance, go upto Coburg Peninsula, magic spot.

One that did catch my eye last year was http://www.goveonline.com/tour-de-arnhem-land Don't know if it's your scene but it sounds intersting.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

Krank

Postby Krank » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks Steve.

Your thoughts on the safety aspects of riding a roadie on these sealed roads?

Krank

V17L

Postby V17L » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 pm

G'day Krank
Sorry for the delay, work took over for a while, then some great fishing in SA for the rest of the time.

Re the safety of the roads, my memory tells me most of the roads are wide. The Arnhem highway west of Jabiru, at sunset would be a problem, as you're going in to the sun, and so are the cars. I would not have a problem riding there, may help getting a mirror. Also, just see how you go with punctures, might have to toughen up your road tyres if this proves a problem. Might also be seasonal. Take a camera, you might get some great shots of sunsets, sunrises on the escarpments.

The road to Cahills crossing, from memory had quite a few accidents before it was sealed. Overseas tourists didn't know how to drive dirt roads, and seemed to have a lead foot.

In terms of angry drivers, I would not have thought this is a problem. wide open spaces, and plenty of room to pass. Road rage is not a problem. Watch out for semi's on your side of the road, it is probably better to get off the road.

It gets hot and humid, so take plenty of fliud. Early morning might be the best, little traffic, cooler, and you're back home for work. I guess it depends on your timetable.

Check how your mobile phone works, it's Telstra country there, but it would be interesting to see how far the mobile network extends now. I do remember it being hot and humid, much hotter than Darwin, on a par with Katherine. Speccy sunsets, especally out towards Obiri Rock, looking over the flood plains.

There are bush walks there, along the escarpment. Clearly fishing is huge.

I would have thought you could keep your road training going with a bit of dedication. There is an outdoor velodrome in darwin, but I don't know much about it. Likewise there is a velodrome in Alice. Others on this forum can give better advice on these facilities. It might also be usefule to sign up for the Darwin club newsletter, as well as the Alice Springs Cycling club newsletter. The alice one is emailed out, and makes a great read.
hope this helps
steve
Giant Defy 1

tan08

Postby tan08 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Hi Krank.
Partner and I have just left Jabiru after living there for 3&4 years. Moved back to Darwin area. We're just getting into riding, so didn't do a lot whilst we were out there, however can provide you with any advice needed on the area.

You can easiy ride 55km south to Cooinda and back again (=110km), ride 40km west to Sth Alligator Resort and back (=80km) north up to Cahills Crossing/Boarder Store 50km each way or a nice easy 15km each way out to the mine site. The roads are being improved year after year, and it depends what time of year you are travelling as to what the traffic is like. You next to expect the unexpected during tourist season (jun-aug) - tourists hire caravans or vehicles much bigger than they have experience in, so dont know where they are on the road, however they do tend to sit closer to the white line (ie used to driving on opposite side of the road). If I were riding and saw one coming from behind and one in front, I would definitely contemplate getting off the road. There is not much shoulder in most areas.

You will gets lots of roadtrains and tour buses at certain times of day - you will prob learn their schedules. Be wary of getting sucked under the roadtrains, espectially again if oncoming traffic also.

As a side note - a comment above mentioned Oenpelli. You do require a permit to cross over Cahills Crossing into Arnhemland and the Traditional Owners will not grant a permit for a bicycle on the dirt roads. It is too dangerous. There are numerous rollovers there every year, and with the dirt being kicked up and speeding cars, it is too easy for people to get hit. Many residents of Oenpelli (also now called Gunbalanya) will ride their bikes daily on the bitumen over there which is ok - just not on the dirt. I used to work closely with the Traditional Owners of the area, so have this on good authority.

Around waterways / bridge crossings - particularly close to Cooinda and South Alligator River, beware of wild animals if travelling at dusk. Many a pig has been hit by cars.. that would be messy on a bike. Also watch out for snakes on the road if out at night!

Anything else? Miss Jabiru already, it's a nice little community, generally very safe. Bikes have had a tendancy to get stolen if left in your front yard at night time. Make sure you put it inside or lock it up securely! Enjoy!

Krank

Postby Krank » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:18 am

thanks guys.

krank

AnitaGom

Jabiru Road Cycling Routes

Postby AnitaGom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:07 pm

Spotted my old white SRi turbo on the Upper Newtownards Road near North Road junction on friday night about 7.20pm, anyone on here?