Berretto time trial track

GaryF

Berretto time trial track

Postby GaryF » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 am

I bought this track time trial frame from De Grandi's in Geelong a few years ago. They were closing down their 2nd hand store. Frames were going out for a song. I've been collecting bits and pieces for a build since then.

I bought the last item yesterday. A set of old Shimano 600 cranks from Bicycle Recycle. I built it up yesterday. By the way, Bicycle Recycle had about 70 track bikes a few weeks ago - there are only a few left. Just goes to show how big the track / single speed scene in growing.

The frame was built by Brett Richardson (Berretto) of Brisbane and I would estimate its build date to be mid to late 80's Shimano aerodynamic AX technology introduced in 1980). The tubing is all ovalised - check out the Shimano AX aero seatpost (same shape as the seat tube). The front forks are quite fine. No bar tape yet but that will happen.

Bar tape fitted. It's great to ride - the geometry is a little twitchy and the tyre clearance is minimal - but it's fun on the roads. Photo update:

Last edited by GaryF on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:32 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks MountGower,

I've been interested in the Berretto history since I got the frame. There's not much information to be had though. I did find an advert in a 1989 magazine though.

I've had a few short rides on it today and I'm impressed with it's manners. It rides quite predictably even though the position is well forward over the front wheel. The bike is a good advertisment for Brett Richardson's frame building skills. The seat tube is 61cm so it should be a little tall for me but it feels good. The cow horns look way too low but when compared to a standard track bike of similar size the bars are between the drops and the tops of the standard track bike.

The clearances are close so it doesn't really suit road riding (stones sticking to the tyres) but, what the heck, its fun. Gearing is 51 x 15 which suits the flat terrain around my home.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 am

Holy snappers - looks nice.

Just how many bikes doe you have ????

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Last edited by MountGower on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Michael B and Mount Gower,

Interesting questions. If I told you how many bikes I had you probably wouldn't believe me. I have been interested in bikes, quite seriously, for about 25 years.

I do know others that have many more bikes than me (in my own defence).

I used to haunt De Grandi's bike shop in Geelong. It was probably the best bike shop in Victoria - they have disposed of all their old stuff now though. Anyway, there was an old guy that used to come in and buy up big on Campagnolo stuff and the occasional steel frame. Shane De Grandi and I used to plot a raid on the old fellows shed - we figured that he would have had an Aladin's cave of top notch bike stuff.

Now the tables have turned - Mount Gower. I find you plotting a similar crime.

My place is under constant video sirveillance and a very hungry and angry pit bull terrier sleeps with the bikes.

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Nice funny bike. It looks like it's shod with singles, right? How do you go riding them on the road? (thought I'm guessing you wouldn't really do too much road riding on this kind of bike anyway...)

Fleming bought up a whole lot of track bikes from a club inventory apparently... the last time I was in at Bicycle Recycle he was still sorting through them and none were for sale yet. And now they're all gone? I wonder what old gems might have been there? Did you see any of them Gary?

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Singletrack,

Yes they're singles - most of my bikes are shod with singles. Sometimes I get on a roll and repair a few singles - but it's a horrible job.

This bike has pretty close tyre clearances and is not really suited to the road but it is fun to ride.

I didn't see the track stuff except for a couple of bikes he had left out of the job lot. One was an old Italian bike although it didn't have decals.

PartyPack

Postby PartyPack » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi GaryF,
During the late 80's I lived near Brett's shop at Chermside and over the next few years he built several frames for me and one for my Dad. The first was a Reynolds Frame (I'm not sure which flavour) but it was unique. It had a curved top tube that really lowered the bars and also each lug was ribbed to increase stiffness. I used it for a couple of years with a Shimano 600 group-set doing triathlons and loved it, but it was not comfortable for long rides. Later I had Brett make me a standard 56cm road frame for more comfort and moved the groupo over (see attached photo). Brett delivered it not long before he stopped making frames. At this late stage he had stopped using the Berretto branding because he said Italian sounding names where no longer in fashion and instead starting using Richardson Racing. I still have the bike and it is my weekend ride around Brisbane. I have not ridden a huge number of bikes but it remains to me the sweetest bike I have ever owned.

In the next few weeks I will be acquiring my dad's old bike, also made by Brett, I don't remember much about it except that it is also probably a 56cm frame.

Brett did like to keep the clearances on his frames tight. When I come up to needing new tyres I doubt I will be able to get 23mm one's on :)

I wish I had kept the time trial frame as it was a unique. If I can find a photo I will post it if anyone is interested. Actually I'm not sure how to actually insert an image into my post. Do I need it be hosted somewhere?

Cheers,

Matt

cray-

Postby cray- » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:21 pm

GaryF wrote:I used to haunt De Grandi's bike shop in Geelong. It was probably the best bike shop in Victoria - they have disposed of all their old stuff now though. Anyway, there was an old guy that used to come in and buy up big on Campagnolo stuff and the occasional steel frame. Shane De Grandi and I used to plot a raid on the old fellows shed - we figured that he would have had an Aladin's cave of top notch bike stuff.
Speaking of bike shops in Geelong, what about old Marshall down in North Geelong? My Dad introduced me to him at a very early age, I dunno how long he was in business for but I'm pretty sure my Dad knew him from when he was young. His son took over the business and they moved to a bigger shop on Thompsons Road last time I checked. A wealth of knowledge that bloke. Helped me out many a time. Great little family store.

My dad grew up in Bell Park and I grew up in Bell Post Hill. I'm also a MichaelB coincidently. Lived in Perth for almost 10 yeas now but I'll be back home in a few weeks for a wedding. I do miss little old Geelong.

Sorry for the thread hijack btw, the bike looks amazing. I'm very envious.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:28 pm

Matt, you need 10 posts, 7 days, and the image hosted somewhere on this inter-web thingy. photobucket's the usual choice, any other webspace works.

as for them Beretto's... no one got any spare one's in 54/56cm lying around? ... or that you'd be willing to leave unlocked and unsupervised for a few hours? ;)

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi Partypack,

Thanks for your insight into the Berretto name. I initially thought the bike could be Italian but found an advertisment in an old 1980 magazine for Berretto.

I have been interested to see how Brett overcome the shape of the seatpost as the Shimano seatpost is totally aero-shaped. the seat tube has to be aero-shaped as well which makes it difficult to clamp the post in the tube and stop it slipping down under the riders weight. This was overcome with 2 self tappers on either side of the upper part of the seat tube. It is also clamped with a seat bolt. Was your frame areo-shaped as well?

It will be nice to see your dad's bike when you post a photo.

Hi Cray,

I do remember the bikeshop in Thompson's Rd. I had left Geelong when the shop had opened and I only went in the shop a couple of times. I'm not sure if it is still there. I do remember the owner being very helpful.

Geelong is a great place with a rich history in bicycles and riding.

Hi Stryker84,

I suppose everything turns up on ebay - good luck with your Berretto search.

Gary.

Duck1

Re: Berretto time trial track

Postby Duck1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Hi,
I'm doing up an Berretto frame and would like to find transfers to suit? Can anyone help.
Thanks David

dayne

Postby dayne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:35 am

Brett runs frame building courses in Brisbane at tafe,
Try googling that and they may give you his number.
I don't think any one reprints his decals.

Retro man

Postby Retro man » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:11 am

Has Brett started building frames again. I have some forks I need the drop outs replaced on.
Gitane Criterium. Puch mistral SE. Manhattan Flyer.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:55 am

very nice bike
OI onya bike!!!

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 am

Gordonhooker wrote:very nice bike
Thanks Gordonhooker.