fitting mudguards and rear rack

blompod

fitting mudguards and rear rack

Postby blompod » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I want to fit the above to an electra brand bicycle that according to electra cannot be fitted due to the disk brake, how do I attach a photo of the bike so I can maybe get opinions on how to get around this if its at all possible, even aluminium welding a piece near the drop out for the fixings. its a cruiser so clip on mudguards are not an option I want full metal guards and a rear rack. Buy another bike I hear you say but its too late its paid for and on its way :oops:

eeksll

Re: fitting mudguards and rear rack

Postby eeksll » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

just paste the link into the text box, highlight/select the link, and click the "img" button along the top.

or just paste the link, people will wrk it out :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 pm

The drum on posting pics is HERE.

It's possible to do. I had a similar problem on the rear of my commuter, fixed it with a longer bolt and some old chain rollers as spacers.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

blompod

Postby blompod » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks guys hope that worked, heres the pic, oh it did work cool, yes it has a front rack but I absolutely need a rear rack and guards

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:37 pm

blompod wrote:Thanks guys hope that worked, heres the pic, oh it did work cool, yes it has a front rack but I absolutely need a rear rack and guards

Well, I can see that it has fender & rack mounts on the frame and forks. You may just need to get the official Electra ones to get a good fit.

Have a look at http://store.electrabike.com/eSource/ec ... fault.aspx for some options.

I have two Electra Townies, and we had them fitted with Electra guards and racks when we bought them, so it looks seamless.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

blompod

Postby blompod » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:51 pm

I thought I could see them on the back but not the front but electra themselves say a rear rack and guards will not fit this bike due to the disk brakes. I emailed them in the US and attached that picture :?

A_P

Postby A_P » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:57 pm

topeak make a disk brake specific pannier rack

http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/Ex ... _discMount

blompod

Postby blompod » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:04 am

Oh thanks that would work? that leaves the guards...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 am

A_P wrote:topeak make a disk brake specific pannier rack

http://www.topeak.com/products/Racks/Ex ... _discMount
Hmm......

Just don't put too much weight on it, or ride over rough roads loaded up :( :|

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

blompod

Postby blompod » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:21 am

oh !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! the roads here in Brisbane are shocking for bumps and pot holes, and I want to carry about 8 or 9kgs, puts that idea out I guess :cry:

blompod

Postby blompod » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:36 pm

That topeak rack is steel hey? just spot weld a rod from new where it broke to reinforce it problem solved????

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Bodged on bits of rod are unlikely to go with the looks of your bike. I would be looking at something more like the Tubus Disco. Ok so it's a stupid name, but it looks to be a reasonable design. Only rated for 20 kg though, unlike the 40kg rating of other tubus racks.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:16 pm

blompod wrote:That topeak rack is steel hey? just spot weld a rod from new where it broke to reinforce it problem solved????
Not at all. 'Tis aluminium :idea:

I have seen at least two other similar breaks. The thing that breaks first is the mounting bolt - the widely spread rack needs a longer bolt and leverage acts on it (even when tightened up tight) and causes it to shear off. Could carry spare bolts of course, but when the stub breaks off in the frame, with no protruding end.....
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm

find_bruce wrote: I would be looking at something more like the Tubus Disco.
+1

Bloody good idea. That cruiser does not seem to have upper rack mounts on the seat stay (and the low stays are unlikely to work with P-clamps). You may also need to consider something like this (from Wiggle)

Mandatory helmet law?

blompod

Postby blompod » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:03 pm

where can the disco be purchased and will it clear a disk brake and would it fit a cruiser like that? My bike so doesnt have quick release wheels either 8)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:38 pm

blompod wrote:where can the disco be purchased and will it clear a disk brake and would it fit a cruiser like that? My bike so doesnt have quick release wheels either 8)
Let me google that for you

The rack only comes in one size, said to fit bikes with disc brakes equipped with either 26" or 700C wheels.

I am way too lazy to search for the specs of your particular bike, but it looks like it has 26" wheels so it may have extra clearance over the wheel, but this will depend precislely on where you choose to mount it.

If you don't want the quick release, don't use it - the rack will be just as happy mounted to a bolted axle or the rack mounts.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:If you don't want the quick release, don't use it - the rack will be just as happy mounted to a bolted axle or the rack mounts.
You would however, need to drill out the skewer-sized lower holes to axle-size..... and maybe even slot them for easier fitting if you have long axle ends.
Mandatory helmet law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks il padrone - you are correct, of course, on needing to drill it out to mount to an axle - do you think there is enough meat on the bracket ? It is made out of 10mm tube so the bracket is only about 20mm wide, which to my mind at least will leave it a bit thin after drilling.

If not blompods will need to make sure he can use the rack mounts & it's a bit hard to tell

Also it seems tubus actually make 2 different size racks, despite websites listing them as one. The dimensions are on the tubus website

A couple of cheaper alternatives are the Axiom Streamliner Disc DLX

And the Axiom Journey Disc

It seems King St Cyclery have the journey disc in stock in black $60 so I might have ride over & have a look

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:34 am

That Axiom Streamliner Disc is really just a Cargo copy. But it's made of alloy, not CroMoly like the Cargo so not near as strong.

Personally I reckon blompod should seriously consider converting his hubs to quick-release axles to be able to run something like the Disco.
Mandatory helmet law?