Transperth Lock'n'Ride

rolandp

Re: Transperth Lock'n'Ride

Postby rolandp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:45 am

Assuming you can get your bike into one of those little green (aka yellow) sheds. My flat handle with large bullhorns won't fit. Have since moved onto smaller bullhorns but haven't tried again.

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Clingfilmed machine outside of the door of the Thornlie station bike shed today. Should be operational sometime into the new year I think.

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:26 pm

The one at Bayswater station will hopefully be done in the new year too. The shed is up but they haven't done much else as far as I can see. At Bayswater they have used up a couple of car parking bays! SHOCK, HORROR! :D
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 am

Andrew
Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:55 pm

That video was a bit cringe-worthy, but still adequately informative and I clearly aimed at a certain demographic (men, aged 30-50). I loved how they showed him locking the bike up with a flimsy cable lock, you know, the ones you could just about break with your hands. I wish they showed people locking their bikes up properly (I use two separate high strength D-locks and a cable for my saddle).

I've also been having issues with the unit at Canning Bridge. Took about 3 minutes this morning before it finally opened up, just wouldn't recognise my card. The door has also refused to open from the inside on one occasion, took a few goes before it finally unlocked and let me out. The machine look really dusty and weathered considering they are supposed to be new units.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:08 am

Conversation with a person at work yesterday also indicated she has problems opening the cage at her station. She to resort to locking the bike against a fence.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:25 am

rolandp wrote:Conversation with a person at work yesterday also indicated she has problems opening the cage at her station. She to resort to locking the bike against a fence.
This is why I always carry two D-locks, a cable, a plastic bag to cover my saddle and a pannier bag to put my accessories in. You never know what sort of security facility you will get to access at the train station. If you're lucky you might get one of the limited enclosed lockers, sometimes there might be room or you might be able to access the Lock'N'Ride.. and for those times you have no other choice but to lock the bike against a rail or a fencer at least you have a good chance of making sure it will all be there when you get back..

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:55 am

Took them ages to transfer my access from Maylands to Bayswater. Haven't tried it yet. Maylands is very popular now, usually near-full when I ride past it in the morning now.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:39 pm

Got an email a month or so ago asking for registered riders not using the Murdoch cage to deregister, did that as I no longer commute to work. Just got another email today, they're still working on the problem, have been monitoring use of the cage and found that there are bikes that appear to be parked there long term, not used for commuting but storage.

It has to be difficult trying to provide parking for bikes and cars at these stations, I know that at the Kwinana station the staff had a policy of removing bikes from the cages if they appeared to be left overnight, this didn't help a mate who worked late one night and we never saw that bike again. I know that not everyone is up to riding to/from the station, some find it easier to commute by bike in one morning, use the bus to get home and the next morning, ride home in the arvo. And I don't see an expansion in bike parking, new cages, to happen any time soon. So the PTA needs to make their system more flexible (allow more than 100 registered riders per cage, allow multiple cage registration, an easier deregistration process, etc) and peoples you need to take care how you park, things are getting messy.

Any suggestions? (Printable).

fixed

Postby fixed » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:10 pm

I raised issues like this at the public feedback session for the WA Bike Network Plan.
How do you determine that a bike left overnight is storage when it could be the bike at the other end of a train commute?
Ie ride to station on one bike use cage + board train with one smartrider, disembark at end station get bike from cage with ANOTHER smartrider and continue to work uni etc.
Repeat in reverse.

Seems to be a lack of strict follow up on this, policing the regular users from the once a year rider. If the system is discouraging use just by the way it is constructed then the system has to change.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:01 pm

Had a horror evening with the Lock N Ride at Canning Bridge station. Even thinking about it now after I have gotten home makes my blood boil. I was close to flipping out which is rare as I am a very calm person usually.

Got off the train at 5pm, saw another lady standing next to it on the phone; she pauses to explain that the machine isn't working and won't recognise anyone's smart rider card. I tried myself a few dozen times with no luck. She's been on the help line number for about 15 minutes trying to get in touch with someone to come and open it up.

So we call the general assistance line (131608), they tell us it's not their problem and to call another number about the bike shelters (93263170) which is supposed to be for emergencies if you can't get access. Bingo!

So we try to call that number and no one answers the phone.. we literally are letting it ring for over 5 minutes an no one answers. So we call the general assistance line again and explain the situation, by now it is around 5:15pm. The assistant person again says there is nothing they can do to help and tries to connect us to the bike shelter services with no luck. They say they will try again and call us back.

We get a call back after 15 minutes and they say that they can't get in touch with anyone.

We try calling the number again and after a few tries over 15 minutes we finally connect through, however the person we speak to has no idea about bike lockers at the train station.. says he will take our number and pass it onto another person.. another 15 minutes later we get a call from a PTA maintenance guy who says he is stuck in traffic (!?!) in Willetton and will need to drive to another station and take the train up to open the cage, eta ~30-40 minutes. By now it is around 5:45pm and there's a small group of people standing around wanting to get their bike out so they can go home.

I call the main info line and explain that I have been waiting for a long time and that I want to go home, so could they please send someone down ASAP. They say they will look into it and call me back. After 10 minutes no one calls back so i call again they say they are aware that there's an issue, that there's nothing they can do and that they don't have a "magic wand" to wave and fix the issue.. so I just have to sit and wait.

By 6:10pm (over 70 minutes sitting there next to the bike shelter waiting now with a full bag of groceries going off) the maintenance guy rocks up to open the shelter. However he can't do anything with the machine so he just leaves the gate wide open rather than having to come back every time someone want to retrieve their bike.

I understand that sometimes things can go wrong, but this was ridiculous. No one to answer the "emergency" phone line, no backup plan and over an hour standing around before they open it up to let us get our bikes and get home. Plus the snide comments from the lady at the call centre when I explained that this was important and needed to be resolved straight away, not in an hour. This was at Canning Bridge too! Only 7 minutes from the city. Surely they could have sent a security guard down from the Esplanade with a key and get it open and stay with the lockers while they get it fixed?

I have now learnt my hard lesson - never again will I use these awful facilities again. I'd rather leave my bike locked up on a fence than be stuck in that sort of situation again. If it wasn't for my knee problems I would ride all the way in every day, however it isn't possible at this time until I heal properly.

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 am

What happened to you and others tonight is unacceptable.
DM me here or contact me via the BTAWA.ORG.AU website @steven
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Grev

Postby Grev » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 am

I question the Governments sincerity in addressing this issue. It is also covered in the “Buswell’s Bike Plan” thread.

With the public transport system already under capacity, why would the Government want more people using the train? It is better for them to drive.

Given the choice, Australian motorist have a proven record of tolerating traffic congestion – as long as it is not caused by cyclists!

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Grev wrote:Given the choice, Australian motorist have a proven record of tolerating traffic congestion – as long as it is not caused by cyclists!
Funny you mention that, as I have thought the same thing many times after being blasted or buzzed by a car even when there is a unoccupied lane right next to me.

Anyway, back on topic, I have spoke to Ken Travers (Shadow Transport Minister) today on the phone and had a chat about the situation and how it could have been avoided. I have also spoken to the local press (Southern Gazette) who are going to do an article on the inadequate response by the PTA to resolve this situation. On-site photo shoot next week! Thanks to those how have helped out.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am

A certain forum member has made the newspaper over his problems with Transperth bike cage. The full story can be found in the Southern Gazette but here is a snippet.

AFTER waiting more than an hour to get his bike, Como resident Karl Stade says he will avoid using the large bike shelters at railway stations again.

Karl was one of a group of cyclists who recently had to make several phone calls and wait for 70 minutes before he was able to get into the shelter at Canning Bridge station.

The 24-year-old said that was not the first time this had happened.

“In the past few months, there have been two occasions where the shelter would not recognise my Smart Rider card and somebody else had to use their card to let me in,” he said.

“There have also been times where I have used my card to let other people in as their cards wouldn’t work.
Andrew
Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu May 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Not sure what that article will achieve, but hopefully it might put a little more pressure on the 'high flyers' to get the management in order so this sort of incident doesn't happen again. I doubt it though.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri May 11, 2012 12:13 am

elStado, the TransPerth bike storage came up in the Perth Bike Network feedback session on Saturday, with several people indicating it was disappointing that it was not possible to register for more than one station.

You may want to consider sending a link to the article to Minister of Transport, highlighting the issues. Eventually they are going to have to listen.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 11, 2012 2:06 pm

rolandp wrote:elStado, the TransPerth bike storage came up in the Perth Bike Network feedback session on Saturday, with several people indicating it was disappointing that it was not possible to register for more than one station.
The response was that they are working on this ... major software issues was the impression I got.

Andrew
Andrew

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Mon May 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Never mind registering for more than one station - being able to register for ONE station would be a plus. My daughter tried to register for the Bull Creek cage last week, and today she got an sms saying her application was denied because the database was full and couldn't accept any more records.

Looks like we'll be keeping hold of the junky 'train station' BSO for a bit longer.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon May 14, 2012 5:05 pm

rcmkII wrote:Looks like we'll be keeping hold of the junky 'train station' BSO for a bit longer.
I'd be using one of these anyway - even WITH access to the facility considering that it might not give you access one day and lock you out (skip the middle man and just don't bother using it). Just make sure it's safe to ride, brakes work, chain is lubricated and tyres are pumped up. What else do you need just for a short ride down the road (assuming it's less than 3km).

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Mon May 14, 2012 6:32 pm

Yep, all adjusted up and working fine. Problem is there are four members in our family and we already have two or three bikes each - road bikes for exercise, hybrids with baskets & panniers for shopping & school runs, a couple of ebike conversions for heavier loads, etc. Oh well, I guess you can never have too many bikes. The best way to sneak them past the wife is to make sure at least half of them are hers ...
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:44 pm

I notice the large gaps at the bottom of the bayswater cage have been blocked with bars. I guess I wasn't the only one to express concern at how easily accessories could go missing through there.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

elStado

Postby elStado » Tue May 29, 2012 10:08 pm

elStado wrote:Had a horror evening with the Lock N Ride at Canning Bridge station.
Just as a follow up, I received a call from a PTA rep late last week regarding this matter in reply to a written complaint I sent in that evening. The rep was extremely apologetic and said that there had been an investigation into what had transpired and a series of recommendations had been subsequently made in order to prevent this situation from occurring again. They were looking to implement these solutions as soon as possible. One solution they have come up with includes the signs being modified with a different phone number that will connect to another more suitable office (apparently the current one is for the Bull Creek station which rarely has anyone inside to answer during peak hours). It would have been nice if they had sent a reply email to me so I had it in writing, but I am fairly satisfied with the response for now - provided they get it sorted out asap!

So for now, user beware.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 pm

A second cage is currently being installed at Currambine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi Stuey, is this the development occuring at the very far south end, if so, it may not be a second cage.

We've got an other development occuring at Greenwood, and this 'cage' has a blue roof, and I don't believe the Greenwood addition will be a third cage, potentially it is being developed for motor bikes or pick-up zone.