Worst commute roads/streets

BG73

Worst commute roads/streets

Postby BG73 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Just a general question on what are the worst / most dangerous roads/streets in heavily used commutes. Mine is Lilyfield Road in Sydney - some high speeds next to parked cars and parked buses, as well as plenty of bumps and potholes etc etc. Or is this normal???

find_bruce

Re: Worst commute roads/streets

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:41 am

I agree re Lilyfield Rd headin east but for different reasons - I regularly had near misses from cars pulling out of side streets - Groves St & Justin St in particular. Even worse though were vehicles turning left off Lilyfield Rd at Denison St & Gordon St, straight across my path.

Despite the fact that I could do with the ride up the hill from Hawthorn Canal, I won't use Lilyfield Rd on my way into the city.

It's a great example of needing to think about what causes the hazards because I have no such incicdents riding west along Lilyfield Rd, despite plenty of people turning left at Catherine St & Balmain Rd. On the west run, the only place that needs a bit of caution is Norton St & that appears to be people misjudging my speed rather than not looking / seeing / caring
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:10 pm

In Sydney: New Canterbury Road heading city bound through Petersham can have its moments. Heavy traffic, a little up hill, appalling road surface. If traffic is heavy enough in the morning though, i can usually keep with it almost to the intersection at Crystal Street.
Bridge Road, city bound through Camperdown/Glebe. Can get busy but i am more worried about the actual state of the road surface. Its been dug up and resurfaced that many times its disgraceful. I've travelled on smoother dirt roads.

BG73

Postby BG73 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Some great info on Lilyfield Road Longshanks - any tips on how you manage to bypass it into the city??

Agreed re Bridge Road - not one of my preferred routes either...

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:02 pm

BG73 wrote:Some great info on Lilyfield Road Longshanks - any tips on how you manage to bypass it into the city??
Hey BG73, its find_bruce who skirts Lilyfield Rd east bound..I come into the city via Stanmore/Glebe past the fish markets so not via Lilyfield Rd and Anzac Bridge.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm

BG73 wrote:Some great info on Lilyfield Road ... - any tips on how you manage to bypass it into the city??
How easy it is to bypass depends on where you are coming from & where in the city you are going to. For me it is easy as it is about the same distance whether I go via Victoria Rd or via Lilyfield Rd. I go a number of ways along Victoria Rd - either uphill on the shared path (I am old, fat & slow) & downhill on the road (but I descend like a brick) or via the backstreets - Cambridge & Quirk Streets.

Now if only I could find an alternative to Pyrmont Bridge - it's not dangerous I just get tired of doding ninja peds and lately they have been armed with pointy sticks
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Warringah Road Frenchs Forest, between intersections with Forest Way and Allambie Road.

Traffic turns into a car park and drivers get grumpy and bad-tempered. :evil:

There have been a number of cyclist/car collisions in that location, and when I was commuting regularly through there the incidence of abuse and close shaves from drivers was the highest of my 29-odd km commute to Sydney Olympic Park.

When travelling that direction I now detour via Aquatic Drive, Aquatic Centre, over the bridge over Wakehurst Parkway, and rejoin Warringah Road about 150m west of Forest Way. Traffic and short sight lines mean I usually end up riding the footpath :x to Killarney Heights before jumping back on the road near the Shell petrol station.

No really functional alternative available. :(

ganman

Postby ganman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:47 pm

I agree about Lilyfield Rd. I go around Iron Cove past Leichhardt Oval & Rowing Club then up Victoria Rd (shared path). Also bypasses that dreadful narrow pedestrian overpass on Victoria Rd

BG73

Postby BG73 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Yep, had the find_bruce experience this morning with a cab cutting me off turning left off Lilyfield road... Am excited to find a potential alternative this evening thanks to ganman - very excited.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 pm

This is easy: any road where its 70km/hr or higher and there is no shoulder.