Truth on diet and weight control

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
sogood

Re: Truth on diet and weight control

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:12 pm

iMad wrote:Lifestyle, lifestyle... If only we could be content with being miserable. :mrgreen:
Thinking miserable and it will be miserable. Think bliss and it'll be bliss. It's all in the mind. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:00 am

DaveOZ wrote:
iMad wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:I've lost 8kg in 6 months by eating less, drinking not much and riding lots. It's easy really. :P
Devil's Advocate alert.... But will you be able to continue like that indefinitely?
Oh yes. The point is I haven't changed my diet much, just cut out the excess sugary stuff and stopped over-eating. Only have a beer or two on friday and saturday. I ride to work every day and a longer ride on the weekend. I was 89kg and I'm now 81kg. If I can get to 75kg in the next 6 months I will be very happy. I like my lifestyle now and see no reason to change it. :mrgreen:
That was pretty much my plan. :) Down 32kg to goal weight. I've been at goal now for about 6 months, and close for 12 or so. When will my body reset and make this new weight my weight? That's my question.

Saw a dietician last week and she has told me what to eat to go faster. Not big changes but very interesting. Counter intuitively I needed carbs and lots of them. :o

iMad

Postby iMad » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:09 am

Comedian wrote: That was pretty much my plan. :) Down 32kg to goal weight. I've been at goal now for about 6 months, and close for 12 or so. When will my body reset and make this new weight my weight? That's my question.

Saw a dietician last week and she has told me what to eat to go faster. Not big changes but very interesting. Counter intuitively I needed carbs and lots of them. :o
Congrats Comedian, a fabulous effort and great discipline. You are an inspiration to me. :P
In the article in the Weekend Aust Mag last Saturday they didn't discuss when the body's metabolism returned to 'normal', or if at all.
They did feature a woman and her husband that had lost massive amounts of weight and managed to keep it off for many years. From memory, she'd lost 60kg or more herself.
She explained that keeping the weight off was the greatest challenge in her life and that it was still, after many years, her primary focus on a day to day basis. (Perhaps she is compulsive but I doubt it.)
She goes to the point of reviewing a restaurant's web site and carefully choosing what to eat well before she goes out for dinner.

The reason I mention this difficulty in maintaining weight loss wasn't to dampen peoples enthusiasm for weight loss, simply because I've struggled with my weight for many years now and have experienced on at least 2 occasions in the past, times where I've lost it all only to slowly put it all back on again. :cry:
Having read this enlightening article, I now feel better prepared to cope with the disciplines involved in keeping the weight off.
I still maintain the single most important thing to do to maintain weight loss is to WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY. By doing that you can quickly identify a problem and address it before it becomes an issue.
My wife and I went out for dinner with friends last night (Indian) and both had a number of glasses of wine including the usual Indian fare. This morning I was 1.5kg heavier so a lean day today for me.
The fact is, losing weight isn't all that difficult I reckon, the HUGE challenge is to keep it off long term.
Good luck mate.
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm

iMad wrote:Congrats Comedian, a fabulous effort and great discipline. You are an inspiration to me. :P

I still maintain the single most important thing to do to maintain weight loss is to WEIGH YOURSELF EVERY DAY. By doing that you can quickly identify a problem and address it before it becomes an issue.

My wife and I went out for dinner with friends last night (Indian) and both had a number of glasses of wine including the usual Indian fare. This morning I was 1.5kg heavier so a lean day today for me.
The fact is, losing weight isn't all that difficult I reckon, the HUGE challenge is to keep it off long term.
Good luck mate.
Thanks for the kind words mate. I'll be even happier to receive them in 5 years time. ;)

I don't think you can say "I went out for dinner and weighed 1.5kg the next day" because it's just food in the system. Even if you ate 1.5kg of Indian (which I doubt you could!) and the body absorbed 25% of it as fat ... that's not 1.5kg. I don't think people put on weight like that. IMHO it's continuous over eating and the body socking away 10 or 15g here or there... every day. Before we know it we've got a problem.

Having said that... I agree that weighing often is a good thing to do. It helps you keep on top of things... and if you drift a couple of kg from goal then you should take action then... not once your 5...10...15kg off. :)

iMad

Postby iMad » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:09 pm

Comedian wrote: Thanks for the kind words mate. I'll be even happier to receive them in 5 years time. ;)

I don't think you can say "I went out for dinner and weighed 1.5kg the next day" because it's just food in the system. Even if you ate 1.5kg of Indian (which I doubt you could!) and the body absorbed 25% of it as fat ... that's not 1.5kg. I don't think people put on weight like that. IMHO it's continuous over eating and the body socking away 10 or 15g here or there... every day. Before we know it we've got a problem.

Having said that... I agree that weighing often is a good thing to do. It helps you keep on top of things... and if you drift a couple of kg from goal then you should take action then... not once your 5...10...15kg off. :)
I can only speak for myself but 25 years ago I was running 35-40km per week, doing weights and cycling. Fit as a fiddle and around 90kg. Recently I was about 127kg, almost 40kg heavier (ouch). When you consider that the increase is less than 2kg per year, it doesn't seem like much. But over 25 years... whammo!

A couple of time since I get down below 100kg but I couldn't maintain it. I reckon the reason was because I stopped weighing myself. Christmas might have come with all the excesses or maybe a holiday away with overindulgence. But I can distinctively remember thinking to myself during those times "I've had a bad time I won't weigh myself just now but I'll get this weight off later." No good. Poor discipline. Crap!

I realise the 1.5kg after Indian tucker and wine one night doesn't actually represent a gain in fat. But, if I don't watch it and keep a close eye on things, history tells me that the 20kg (and maybe more) I've just lost will be back on in 12 months time. For me now, my lifestyle dictates that I weigh myself every day (where practicable). No excuses, no "I'll start next week." JUST DO IT.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:56 pm

iMad wrote:Recently I was about 127kg, almost 40kg heavier (ouch). When you consider that the increase is less than 2kg per year, it doesn't seem like much. But over 25 years... whammo!
That 2kg a year is as easy as 50 Cals extra a day, which is half a slice of multigrain bread, or half a cup of low fat milk, or half an egg.

One of the reasons weight loss is difficult in my view is overeating is exponentially easier than undereating.
Westerners rarely if ever compensate days of overeating with under.
And if that's hard to believe, think of a big weekend, when you overeat 1000 Cals/day. How many of us will balance that by undereating to the same extreme on Monday and Tuesday?

Some might argue I'll do a bit extra on the bike. But to burn off an additional 2000 Calories on top of your normal routine, that's 4 hours of moderate to high intensity riding, time and energy most of us don't have.

I think the single most important diet guideline for weight loss is to eat foods containing more water - vegetables, salad, fruit. These bring about satiety quicker than any other food, for much lower Calorie density, much higher micronutrient density; and vege and salad stabilize blood sugar longer staving off hunger pangs.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:44 pm

PawPaw wrote:
iMad wrote:Recently I was about 127kg, almost 40kg heavier (ouch). When you consider that the increase is less than 2kg per year, it doesn't seem like much. But over 25 years... whammo!
That 2kg a year is as easy as 50 Cals extra a day, which is half a slice of multigrain bread, or half a cup of low fat milk, or half an egg.

One of the reasons weight loss is difficult in my view is overeating is exponentially easier than undereating.
And if that's hard to believe, think of a big weekend, when you overeat 1000 Cals/day. How many of us will balance that by undereating to the same extreme on Monday and Tuesday?

Some might argue I'll do a bit extra on the bike. But to burn off an additional 2000 Calories on top of your normal routine, that's 4 hours of moderate to high intensity riding, time and energy most of us don't have.

I think the single most important diet guideline for weight loss is to eat foods containing more water - vegetables, salad, fruit. These bring about satiety quicker than any other food, for much lower Calorie density, much higher micronutrient density; and vege and salad stabilize blood sugar longer staving off hunger pangs.
Pawpaw you confuse the hell outa me.. some stuff you say is pretty spot on, but other stuff is way mythical "middle earth" rubbish..

IF you want to eat more "Volume" yes water foods are great. But.. Fibre is your friend when it comes to being full. I dont see the fatties sitting down to eat a nice big juicy steak with stacks of green leafy veggies. But saying that blood sugar levels affect hunger is just plain naive..

You seem to believe that people will suffer severe hunger and mental impairment from not eating every so often. Consider for a second the evolutionary consequences for survival if this was true. Given that regular periods of fasting, even famine, was a natural part of our past, do you think we'd be here today if we were unable to function when obtaining food was most critical? I have seen and heard friends, complain of lethargy and mental haze if they didn't get to eat for a few hours. It's completely absurd.

What about blood sugar and hunger? Blood sugar is one of many short-term feedback mechanisms used to regulate hunger and the notion which exists to say that low blood sugar may cause hunger is correct. Low just means lower range. This is subject to numerous confounders, such as your habitual diet, energy intake and genetics. Most importantly perhaps, it's subject to entrained meal patterns, regulated by ghrelin and other metabolic hormones. In essence, this means that blood sugar follows the meal pattern you are used to. This is relevant for those who fear blood sugar issues and hunger from regular periods of fasting, as it serves to explain why people can easily adapt to regular periods of fasting without negative effects.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

iMad

Postby iMad » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:23 pm

PawPaw wrote:

Firstly I totally agree with your view of overeating on a big weekend or other occasion. We all do it at some time or other and some of us (read me in the past) much more often than others.
That is the reason for me adopting a regular weigh-in. You quickly see the ramifications of your overindulgence and can hit it on the head with a few lean days. I guess that is made more difficult when you're involved in regular strenuous exercise but still there can be a conscious balance. It's so easy to have a big weekend followed by a big few days followed by a big weekend so to speak. Next thing you know 5-6 more kilos have piled on. We have to keep an eye on it and the simplest way is a good and reliable set of scales.

This morning I had a small plate of Uncle Toby's Natural Muesli, a decent handful of mixed raw nuts, a sliced banana and peach without milk. I use the fruit to take the dryness out. When I have this for brekky, I feel satiated for many, many hours. For me, I've found the best food to allay hunger is raw nuts. I don't need many (a handful) and my hunger has gone for hours. They're choc full of protein, fibre, fats and vitamins so I don't know what category diminishes my hunger but it certainly works.

I include this from healthandnutrition.blogspot.com.au - says it all really
Most people are confused about whether nuts are good for you or not. Most would rather snack on chips all day rather than nuts because "nuts are too fattening". If you are confused, then take a look at this and it should help you choose nuts that either are nutritious or fattening.

Raw nuts are high in vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber and fat. But we do need fat and this is one of the good fats that is usable to the body. A handful of raw almonds daily, plus other good raw nuts and seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame) are highly nutritious and beneficial to the body. If you soak your nuts first - even 30 minutes, but perferably a few hours - they are much more easily digestible.

Roasted nuts on the other hand are the problem. Once nuts are roasted, the structure in the nut completely changes, the fat separates, and it is not recognized and a source of nutrition, but a toxic fat. Plus, roasted nuts usually have fat added to them in the roasting process that increases the calorie count as well as the toxic fats.

If you want to see the difference with your own eyes, try this test and see for yourself:
1) Place 1 cup water in the blender with a handful of raw nuts. Blend for at least one minute. What you will get is nutritious nut milk.
2) Now place 1 cup water in the blender with a handful of roasted nuts. Blend for at least one minute. What you will get is dirty brown water and if you let it set for a few minutes, the oil will separate and come to the top.

This is the way in which your body will utilize them as well - as a nutritious milk or a dirty brown liquid with toxic fat!

Eat nuts RAW and they will be nutritious to your body!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Addictr3 wrote:Pawpaw you confuse the hell outa me.. some stuff you say is pretty spot on, but other stuff is way mythical "middle earth" rubbish..

Hey well we're even on confusing the hell out of each other Addictr. Maybe I need to brush up on my Paleo reading.

I wonder how you can overlook standard scientific principals such as eating every 2-2.5 hours to suppress appetite and prevent overeating. Find me an accredited dietitian who does not build this into a diet program.

You talk about blood sugar as if it never becomes dysregulated (or deranged in Paleo Speak), as if energy systems are not susceptible to chronic stress. If this was so, then adrenergic agonist appetite suppressants and coffee would not suppress appetite because our adrenal glands would always work optimally to mobilize fat reserves as a primary energy substrate.

It's also accepted that regular adequate water intake suppresses appetite and hunger pangs. Some believe those chronically stressed have too much sympathetic drive muting thirst mechanism, which results in chronic negative fluid balance, which can contribute to malabsorption and sub optimal circulation of nutrient and oxygen; thus stimulating appetite. Again, find a dietitian that does not recommend regular adequate water intake as part of appetite management.

Indeed, getting up for a walk or doing exercise can suppress hunger. How so? probably by the combined effect of improving circulation of nutrient and oxygen, and increasing adrenalin mobilized fatty acids.

So yes, I do believe many people with weight management issues have trouble with dysregulated blood sugar, which creates hunger pangs. And these people have strong cravings for a sugar fix, which perpetuates the instability. Stabilize their blood sugar over several weeks with a diet higher in fibrous carbs which provides a steadier stream of carbs to the blood stream, and the cravings can be reduced dramatically.

One of the contentions of resorting to evolution to explain the global obesity epidemic is advanced societies have feeding and activity behavior that has deviated profoundly from our ancestors, and therefore the 'natural' ability of energy systems to stabilize from a chronically destabilized (or deranged) state is that much more difficult.

Physiological systems can be up and down regulated chronically to the point they cannot return to normal levels. A random sample of 100 'normal' middle aged Aussies will reveal a host of endocrine disturbances that the body cannot reverse by diet or exercise or whatever. And these people will be dependent on pharmaceuticals to assist their deranged systems.

Either evolution's ability to return them to normal health has been overwhelmed by too sustained and intense a cascade of stressors...... or alternatively, as Darwin would deduce, not all humans are born with normal physiology and these ones have been naturally deselected. And the obesity epidemic is not so much a sign of excessive stress but of excessive interference with natural deselection.

iMad

Postby iMad » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:21 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:Pawpaw you confuse the hell outa me.. some stuff you say is pretty spot on, but other stuff is way mythical "middle earth" rubbish..

Hey well we're even on confusing the hell out of each other Addictr. Maybe I need to brush up on my Paleo reading.

I wonder how you can overlook standard scientific principals such as eating every 2-2.5 hours to suppress appetite and prevent overeating. Find me an accredited dietitian who does not build this into a diet program.

You talk about blood sugar as if it never becomes dysregulated (or deranged in Paleo Speak), as if energy systems are not susceptible to chronic stress. If this was so, then adrenergic agonist appetite suppressants and coffee would not suppress appetite because our adrenal glands would always work optimally to mobilize fat reserves as a primary energy substrate.

It's also accepted that regular adequate water intake suppresses appetite and hunger pangs. Some believe those chronically stressed have too much sympathetic drive muting thirst mechanism, which results in chronic negative fluid balance, which can contribute to malabsorption and sub optimal circulation of nutrient and oxygen; thus stimulating appetite. Again, find a dietitian that does not recommend regular adequate water intake as part of appetite management.

Indeed, getting up for a walk or doing exercise can suppress hunger. How so? probably by the combined effect of improving circulation of nutrient and oxygen, and increasing adrenalin mobilized fatty acids.

So yes, I do believe many people with weight management issues have trouble with dysregulated blood sugar, which creates hunger pangs. And these people have strong cravings for a sugar fix, which perpetuates the instability. Stabilize their blood sugar over several weeks with a diet higher in fibrous carbs which provides a steadier stream of carbs to the blood stream, and the cravings can be reduced dramatically.

One of the contentions of resorting to evolution to explain the global obesity epidemic is advanced societies have feeding and activity behavior that has deviated profoundly from our ancestors, and therefore the 'natural' ability of energy systems to stabilize from a chronically destabilized (or deranged) state is that much more difficult.

Physiological systems can be up and down regulated chronically to the point they cannot return to normal levels. A random sample of 100 'normal' middle aged Aussies will reveal a host of endocrine disturbances that the body cannot reverse by diet or exercise or whatever. And these people will be dependent on pharmaceuticals to assist their deranged systems.

Either evolution's ability to return them to normal health has been overwhelmed by too sustained and intense a cascade of stressors...... or alternatively, as Darwin would deduce, not all humans are born with normal physiology and these ones have been naturally deselected. And the obesity epidemic is not so much a sign of excessive stress but of excessive interference with natural deselection.
Holy Crap!!!! What does it all mean?

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:11 pm

iMad wrote: Holy Crap!!!! What does it all mean?
That an accredited dietitian would get nowhere trying to explain
it like that - with at least 99% of the population. And the other
1% wouldn't need the explanation anyway :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 pm

iMad wrote:
PawPaw wrote:

Holy Crap!!!! What does it all mean?
Priceless!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I think it means Pawpaw is so full of watery veggies he can piss further than Addict :lol:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 pm

iMad, it means if you live in Noosa Heads, had grand kids, and are over 60yo and ride a bicycle, you weren't naturally deselected according to Darwin.
iMad wrote:Holy Crap!!!! What does it all mean?

alf

Postby alf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 pm

iMad wrote:And the obesity epidemic is not so much a sign of excessive stress but of excessive interference with natural deselection.
Holy Crap!!!! What does it all mean?[/quote]

It means that the gene pool needs some chlorine.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 pm

I have scales in my bathroom. I jump on them occasionally just to keep myself in check. I'm 187cm and usually 87kg give or take a kilo. Sometimes when I'm eating better I get down around 85 and if I've been bad I might drift out to 90kg. :oops: Funny how a weight that begins with a "9" instead of "8" offends me and drives me to be a good boy. :mrgreen:

The way I stay on track is trouser size. I was 97cm for many years, including when I ran a LOT and cycled only a little. In December last year I increased my cycle commute frequency from 3 to 5 days p.w and I'm still doing 1-2 5k runs p.w. In about 10 weeks, I've dropped to a 92cm waist and they're starting to feel loose. But I am cycling about 12 hrs a week, much more I was in November.

I totally agree with Comedian that it's 10-15g here and there that gradually turns into kilos unless you take action. Like a frog in a slowly heating pot, suddenly you realise it's boiling, like I did back in 1996 when I put $2 in one of those height/weight machines. I was in Little Bourke St at the time, travelling a lot with work and generally being inactive and eating poorly. I had put on 18kg over 4 years of poor eating & no exercise. The machine spat out a little ticket showing my weight, for the first time in my life, as a 3 digit figure - 102kg. :shock: It might as well have said, "At your weight you should be 206cm tall." That was my turning point.

I made some immediate changes like eating what I knew were healthier foods and taking up running. Within about 12 weeks I'd dropped to 84kg. I know next to nothing about good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, low GI, high GI, the right carb/protein/fat intake etc and what your metabolism does. But I use what I reckon is a good dose of common sense and have most things in moderation. My biggest focus is on eating well through the working week. Most of my temptation happens around home after work and on my days off.

I guess we're all different, but moving more and more OFTEN and at the same time eating better (we all know what that is - more salad, fruit, steamed vegies and lean meat, less processed foods, less grog blah blah blah and drinking lots of water) seems to do the trick. I do think it's pure science. Burn the same or more than you consume and you're probably on the right track...

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:44 pm

waramatt wrote:(we all know what that is - more salad, fruit, steamed vegies and lean meat, less processed foods, less grog blah blah blah and drinking lots of water)
you'd be bowled over by how many claim they don't know this.
Jenny Craig and Graham Mitchell didn't get super rich by underestimating that number.

iMad

Postby iMad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:06 pm

waramatt wrote:I totally agree with Comedian that it's 10-15g here and there that gradually turns into kilos unless you take action. Like a frog in a slowly heating pot, suddenly you realise it's boiling, like I did back in 1996 when I put $2 in one of those height/weight machines. I was in Little Bourke St at the time, travelling a lot with work and generally being inactive and eating poorly. I had put on 18kg over 4 years of poor eating & no exercise. The machine spat out a little ticket showing my weight, for the first time in my life, as a 3 digit figure - 102kg. :shock: It might as well have said, "At your weight you should be 206cm tall." That was my turning point.
I jumped on to one of those coin operated talking scales at a busy railway station a while back and it said "One at a time please." :lol:

iMad

Postby iMad » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 pm

PawPaw wrote:iMad, it means if you live in Noosa Heads, had grand kids, and are over 60yo and ride a bicycle, you weren't naturally deselected according to Darwin.
You mean I was actually unnaturally selected?

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:39 pm

iMad wrote:
waramatt wrote:I totally agree with Comedian that it's 10-15g here and there that gradually turns into kilos unless you take action. Like a frog in a slowly heating pot, suddenly you realise it's boiling, like I did back in 1996 when I put $2 in one of those height/weight machines. I was in Little Bourke St at the time, travelling a lot with work and generally being inactive and eating poorly. I had put on 18kg over 4 years of poor eating & no exercise. The machine spat out a little ticket showing my weight, for the first time in my life, as a 3 digit figure - 102kg. :shock: It might as well have said, "At your weight you should be 206cm tall." That was my turning point.
I jumped on to one of those coin operated talking scales at a busy railway station a while back and it said "One at a time please." :lol:
Touche! LMAO....

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:16 pm

iMad wrote:
PawPaw wrote:iMad, it means if you live in Noosa Heads, had grand kids, and are over 60yo and ride a bicycle, you weren't naturally deselected according to Darwin.
You mean I was actually unnaturally selected?
Nah, the unnatural selection is being done by the politically correct and welfare state.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Baldy wrote:I think it means Pawpaw is so full of watery veggies he can piss further than Addict :lol:
LOL
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:00 am

Can I just thank Paw Paw for the recommendation on the dietician?

It's been just over a week now that I've adopted her recommendations. I'm loosing body fat and getting stronger. I'm eating like a horse too. Feel like I've got another motor on the back at the moment.

I was watching a colleague yesterday eat his tiny light and easy roll for lunch. I mentioned that to that point I'd eaten.. 4x wheeties, bran to the top of the bowl, 2x protein shakes, 1x gel, 2x bananas, 1x apple, 2x coffee's, 2x toast (1jam, 1 cheese), 1x yoghurt. Oh, and for lunch I was about to tuck into 400g of chicken and rice risotto. YUM. :mrgreen:

I love riding. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 am

Comedian wrote:I mentioned that to that point I'd eaten.. 4x wheeties, bran to the top of the bowl, 2x protein shakes, 1x gel, 2x bananas, 1x apple, 2x coffee's, 2x toast (1jam, 1 cheese), 1x yoghurt. Oh, and for lunch I was about to tuck into 400g of chicken and rice risotto. YUM. :mrgreen:
I'd be interested in the dietitian's recommended protein intake in grams/kg of bodyweight. I'd be flabbergasted if it is over 1.8g/kg.
Also of interest are her views on whole fruit intake (I guess >=3 a day), and rabbit food - salad, vege (guess >= 4 cups a day).

Ride safe Comedian. One nasty stack and extended time off the bike will see you on your work mate's lite n easy portions, not to mention taking the bus.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:52 pm

PawPaw wrote: Ride safe Comedian. One nasty stack and extended time off the bike will see you on your work mate's lite n easy portions, not to mention taking the bus.
C'est la vie ! :mrgreen: