Cyclist critical after being hit by car at Coombabah, Gold C

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:54 pm

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 6268538373
Cyclist critical after being hit by car at Coombabah, Gold Coast

A CYCLIST is fighting for his life after being struck by a vehicle on the Gold Coast this morning.

It is believed the 20-year-old driver of the car was travelling along Oxley Drive at Coombabah, about 15km from Surfers Paradise, just before 10am when his car struck a power pole.

The vehicle crossed the median strip into the southbound lane where it collided with the 26-year-old cyclist who was attempting to turn right onto Brady Drive.

The cyclist was rushed to the Gold Coast hospital with severe head injuries and remains in a critical condition.

Forensic Crash Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash.
2012 Oppy A4

Addictr3

Re: Cyclist critical after being hit by car at Coombabah, Go

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:07 pm

:(
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Oxford wrote:wrong place, wrong time, hope he recovers from it.
Damn right :(

Mind you, why was there a pole in the middle of Oxley Drive? Those crazy Queenslanders...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

osrg

Postby osrg » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Unfortunately QPS Media has reported that the cyclist passed away this afternoon in hospital from injuries sustained.....

From QPS Facebook page:

"A man who was critically injured in a traffic crash at Coombabah this morning has died in hospital.

The crash occurred just before 10am when a vehicle travelling north on Oxley Drive struck a power pole and continued across the median strip into the southbound lane where it collided with a cyclist.

The 26-year-old cyclist was transported to the Gold Coast Hospital, but later died as a result of his injuries.

Police are seeking anyone who may have witnessed the crash or a white Ford Falcon utility being driven along Oxley Drive prior to the crash to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating."

RIP, my thought are with the cyclists family and friends at this time.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Damn. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:25 pm

I’m very disappointed to add this to the 2012 thread. VERY disappointed. I sincerely hope that it’s not a BNA member.
2012 Oppy A4

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:22 am

That car must have been moving. :|

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:17 am

Here.

Poles in the centre median stip. The police want a white ute. Maybe a car (white ute?) pulled out in front of traffic, hit/diverted the through vehicle into the pole, rebound off the median into the right turn lane where the cyclist was riding :cry:

Very tragic for the cyclist's family.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

hosko

Postby hosko » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:45 am

We cycle that road most weekends. I had a choice yesterday of going back to the BikeForce shop via Oxley or Brisbane Rd. I chose Brisbane Rd.

Anyone know if they did get the driver of the Ute?

Very said day. He was an exceptional cyclist from what I have read. A member of the GC CATS.
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

lturner

Postby lturner » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm

Very sad to hear.

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:29 pm

RIP the cyclist and sympathy to his people...hope the cops are able to bring any wrong doer to justice.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:59 pm

hotfoot wrote:RIP the cyclist and sympathy to his people...hope the cops are able to bring any wrong doer to justice.

This comment is not directed at you Hotfoot in the slightest.

However every single “accident” an offence has taken place. IMHO a simple nose to tail ONE of the drivers at least is in the wrong.

The only car accident I have been in in the 20+ years of driving was caused by a car failing to give way from a side street as he was in a rush to pick up his kids from school. He could have just as easily knocked me off my bike. He has a history of traffic accidents and when he came to mine to sort out the paperwork for the claim his breath stank of beer.

But what I’m trying to say is that accidents are traffic offences because someone, somewhere hasn’t done the “right” thing and not doing the “right” thing *may* result in minor damage to a car but could just as easily result in a car crossing a median strip and killing someone.

It’s just crazy how 1’500 odd killed and 30k hospitalised (that could include confining someone to a wheelchair) a year is treated so lightly. I read somewhere that when cars started taking off in the USA that the public was appalled at the carnage that was akin to a war.

Hell, I lost my “rights” to own a semi-automatic rifle because 60 odd people were murdered by one nut case. But 1’500 killed and 30,000 odd hospitalised? Nah, let’s just ignore the body bags in the room.
2012 Oppy A4