Bicycle safety flag?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Bicycle safety flag?

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:42 am

Perhaps if you experience problems with people overtaking too close (perhaps one of the most dangerous problems we face today), then a high-vis flag fitted horizontally might be a solution?

Perhaps easier for those who ride with rear carry racks because one could readily zip-tie a standard flag to it. I don't see many similar products on the market though.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

by BNA » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:21 am

BNA

Re: Bicycle safety flag?

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:21 am

Abbotsford Cycles sell it. Safety Wing - $8 plus shipping - one that is less like to give a scrape to cars and lay you open to allegations of a road hazard.

Personally I don't use one. I find that my two rear panniers achieve the same goal of giving me a wider rear profile.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby hotfoot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some dear friend wouod think it good fun
hotfoot

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Why not put a flouro coloured paint pen on the end? Indelible evidence... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Oxford » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 pm

industrial diamond tip, doesn't dry out and does the same work.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

hotfoot wrote:I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some dear friend wouod think it good fun

I seriously agree with that. I think it is almost a certainty that some bogun someday somewhere will give it a tug.

Or at the least cruise over close to give it a flick. Which rather defeats the purpose.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby lethoso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:58 pm

hotfoot wrote:I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some dear friend wouod think it good fun

tape some razorblades to it? :twisted:
lethoso

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:16 pm

A friend of mine used one for several years. My son used one for a year or two. I never heard either of them report any such incidents. I think you may be jumping at shadows :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Oxford » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:08 pm

il padrone wrote:A friend of mine used one for several years. My son used one for a year or two. I never heard either of them report any such incidents. I think you may be jumping at shadows :wink:

no they will try, I had one and riding up Kedron Brook Road one evening ute with bogans tried to grab it. trouble for them was two fold, I saw them in the rear view mirror so evaded it, then they got caught in traffic build up, so they ended up having to have their hearing checked as the AZ that close apparently hurts. :mrgreen:
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy