High average heartrate

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
visrealm

High average heartrate

Postby visrealm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Have only been cycling for a bit over 4 months and with a HRM since mid December. Since getting the HRM I've noticed my averate heart rate seems to be crazy-high compared to most others I've come across.

I'm 34, 6' 2", 105Kg (Granted... probably heavier than I should be). Don't have any health issues though.

Here's a few examples...

http://app.strava.com/activities/3657442
http://app.strava.com/activities/3475256 - 24 minutes at 180+
http://app.strava.com/activities/4052004 - Average 180

I will generally hit 170bpm within 50m of leaving home. I generally don't feel like I'm over-exerting myself - if it wasn't for having a HRM I really would be oblivious to my high heart rate.

So I guess my question is: is this a cause for concern? Could it be normal...for me...or is it something that is likely to decrease over time if/as I lose weight? (Ideally I'd like to be around the 90-95Kg mark)
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

nescius

Re: High average heartrate

Postby nescius » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm

My GFs HR monitor for her Garmin Edge 500 gave consistently high readings, 40+ beats per minute higher than I would expect. We thought maybe she just had a high heartrate, but she used my HR strap and her readings went down to what we expected. I know other people who have Garmins, specifically those that have the soft premium heart rate strap, that have been getting dodgy heartrate data. So I would suggest that maybe the strap is dodgy, maybe send it back or contact them with your concerns, or try and borrow someone elses strap and see if that makes a difference. I also get dodgy data when it's time to change the battery on the strap, so that might be worth a go as well.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm

nescius wrote:My GFs HR monitor for her Garmin Edge 500 gave consistently high readings, 40+ beats per minute higher than I would expect. We thought maybe she just had a high heartrate, but she used my HR strap and her readings went down to what we expected. I know other people who have Garmins, specifically those that have the soft premium heart rate strap, that have been getting dodgy heartrate data. So I would suggest that maybe the strap is dodgy, maybe send it back or contact them with your concerns, or try and borrow someone elses strap and see if that makes a difference. I also get dodgy data when it's time to change the battery on the strap, so that might be worth a go as well.
That's an interesting thought - I hadn't considered it may be wrong. I do happen to have the premium HR strap too.

I have however ruled out static or any other external issue as the results are certainly consistent and I don't get the common 220+ spikes.

I'll look into it.
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

number21

Postby number21 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:53 pm

I've just binned my premium Garmin HRM for the standard one. Much more consistent readings now. And nothing really lost in the comfort factor either.

If its like my old strap my resting heart rate was also higher. Easy way to check is count your pulse when resting and compare the pair.

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm

take your own pulse with your finger and check the number is right... if it is, then you know that the strap is not the issue (and see your doc if you are worried about it).
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 pm

I found that if i wear my Garmin HRM strap too high I get high readings. I have found that I have to wear it just below the ribcage for it to read correctly.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

iMad

Postby iMad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:46 pm

nescius wrote:My GFs HR monitor for her Garmin Edge 500 gave consistently high readings, 40+ beats per minute higher than I would expect. We thought maybe she just had a high heartrate, but she used my HR strap and her readings went down to what we expected. I know other people who have Garmins, specifically those that have the soft premium heart rate strap, that have been getting dodgy heartrate data. So I would suggest that maybe the strap is dodgy, maybe send it back or contact them with your concerns, or try and borrow someone elses strap and see if that makes a difference. I also get dodgy data when it's time to change the battery on the strap, so that might be worth a go as well.
I have the Garmin 500 with Premium Heart Rate strap and I have no problems at all. Pardon the pun but it's never missed a beat.
PS: I wear it about 2" below my nipples. Pretty kinky huh! :lol:
There are only two types of cyclist.
Those that have crashed and those that are about to.

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Crittski wrote:take your own pulse with your finger and check the number is right... if it is, then you know that the strap is not the issue (and see your doc if you are worried about it).
OK - while sitting up HRM showing 80bpm and manual reading seems to agree. So at low heart rates at least - it seems accurate.
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

iMad wrote:
I have the Garmin 500 with Premium Heart Rate strap and I have no problems at all. Pardon the pun but it's never missed a beat.
If I wear mine that high I get high readings.
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:22 pm

R12RT wrote:
iMad wrote:
If I wear mine that high I get high readings.
When you say high readings, do you mean spikes or consistently higher than they should be?
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:45 pm

There after plenty of threads about garmin premium straps.Mine was ok for ages then it started to spike and read high. I bought a polar wear link strap to use with the garmin its heaps better. I also fixed my garmin strap by sucking hot water through the strap behind the contact pad I think salt builds up on the back of the pick ups.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

iMad

Postby iMad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 pm

This post was an error... sorry.
Last edited by iMad on Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iMad

Postby iMad » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

iMad wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:There after plenty of threads about garmin premium straps.Mine was ok for ages then it started to spike and read high. I bought a polar wear link strap to use with the garmin its heaps better. I also fixed my garmin strap by sucking hot water through the strap behind the contact pad I think salt builds up on the back of the pick ups.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk
How often and how did you wash your Garmin Premium strap if you don't mind me asking?

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 am

I washed it every ride under the shower! I tried sucking the back of the strap after reading about salt build up, low and behold there was salt even after a hot water wash after every ride. The Polar strap seams to be easier to clean its more porous. To rub salt into the wound so to speak the garmin strap now works fine :(

MM

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:15 am

Out of curiousity after reading the 'Has anyone else tried wearing their Garmin Edge to bed?' thread : http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=48961 I thought I'd try wearing it to bed...

The results look pretty much like everyone elses:

I'm pretty confident the garmin is giving me accurate readigns since there were no real anomalies on the sleeping test and when tested at 80bpm it matched a manual reading and I don't see the 220+ spikes that others report with interference.

I was doing some reading last night and it seems it's likely to be normal (for me), it's also likely to be fine.
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Your bed has some big elevation changes :lol:

I've checked mine with two machines. If my HR is below 140, I'm not even trying. You read/hear about pro's blowing up if they push 150 for ten minutes. I push 180 for ten minutes to do that. Efficiency of the heart/system plays a part I guess (I'm not medically trained at all), but some run high, some run low.

Jim

Emjay57

Postby Emjay57 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi,

I regards to a high HR, if you don't have chest pains at a high rate it's ok, I beat high

Mine are:

Rest HR : 80-85bpm
Max HR : 200-210bpm. Using the formula 220-age (age 36) I should max at about 184bpm.

Infact here are my stats from my last 2 rides
Avg HR: 185 bpm
Max HR: 201 bpm

Avg HR: 189 bpm
Max HR: 204 bpm

I will feel puffed at about 200 but i can hold 180 - 190 for most of a ride.

Also, I've been dow the track of thinking my HR monitor (Edge 500) was reading high, but I ran it with another independent monitor ( a Sigma wrist) and both read +/-2-3 of each other
TCR Adv 0 - 2013

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Emjay57 wrote:Hi,

I regards to a high HR, if you don't have chest pains at a high rate it's ok, I beat high

Mine are:

Rest HR : 80-85bpm
Max HR : 200-210bpm. Using the formula 220-age (age 36) I should max at about 184bpm.

Infact here are my stats from my last 2 rides
Avg HR: 185 bpm
Max HR: 201 bpm

Avg HR: 189 bpm
Max HR: 204 bpm

I will feel puffed at about 200 but i can hold 180 - 190 for most of a ride.

Also, I've been dow the track of thinking my HR monitor (Edge 500) was reading high, but I ran it with another independent monitor ( a Sigma wrist) and both read +/-2-3 of each other
Thanks Emjay - good to know.. Looks like you're at least +10 on me (average, max and puffedability <-- you know what this means... automatically makes it a word ;) ).

How long have you been riding with HRM? Has it changed over time or do you think it's once high always high?
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)

Emjay57

Postby Emjay57 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:32 pm

Been riding with a HR for about 18mths and the Garmin Edge 500 for only 1 mth.

No I've always been high, the doc is always happy with my resting beat and blood pressure. I just beat high. A good rule of thumb is, can you hold a converstion normally, if you are your in a safe bpm area.

If your not sure, you should really see your doc and get it checked maybe even a stress test.
TCR Adv 0 - 2013