Bicycle safety flag?

hartleymartin

Bicycle safety flag?

Postby hartleymartin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 am

Perhaps if you experience problems with people overtaking too close (perhaps one of the most dangerous problems we face today), then a high-vis flag fitted horizontally might be a solution?

Perhaps easier for those who ride with rear carry racks because one could readily zip-tie a standard flag to it. I don't see many similar products on the market though.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

il padrone

Re: Bicycle safety flag?

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:21 am

Abbotsford Cycles sell it. Safety Wing - $8 plus shipping - one that is less like to give a scrape to cars and lay you open to allegations of a road hazard.

Personally I don't use one. I find that my two rear panniers achieve the same goal of giving me a wider rear profile.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

hotfoot

Postby hotfoot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! wouod think it good fun

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Why not put a flouro coloured paint pen on the end? Indelible evidence... :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:43 pm

hotfoot wrote:I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some dear friend wouod think it good fun
I seriously agree with that. I think it is almost a certainty that some bogun someday somewhere will give it a tug.

Or at the least cruise over close to give it a flick. Which rather defeats the purpose.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:58 pm

hotfoot wrote:I'd be worried about some goon grabbing the flag and pulling me over...can see some dear friend wouod think it good fun
tape some razorblades to it? :twisted:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

A friend of mine used one for several years. My son used one for a year or two. I never heard either of them report any such incidents. I think you may be jumping at shadows :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."