East Coast Canter training ride

master6

Re: East Coast Canter training ride

Postby master6 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:09 pm

BarryTas wrote:best of luck for everyone who is going

it is going to be a big weekend

Bauldy and Skull are Blue Dragoning

Dogga and I will be Bridge Running.......and being beaten my a girl...Dogga's partner

Taxman is riding to Orford then doing the Canter

DB well done on the organisation i hope there are not too many flats and you are all in good health and return in good health
Thanks BT

Looks like RR is back in the canter. Just hope his back wheel agrees; another spoke went awol this morning.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:18 pm

BarryTas wrote:
Dogga and I will be Bridge Running.......and being beaten my a girl...Dogga's partner
Perhaps you'll be running, I most certainly will be crawling asking myself why I am doing this.

A good test as I will be asking myself the same question about half way between the Springs and Chalet in a couple of weeks time.

Good luck to all those attending this great ride.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:29 am

report report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? :D
when do we stop for coffee???

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:35 am

BarryTas wrote:report report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????? :D
Absolutely and totally enjoyable, as I have come to expect. It is a pity that I have to wait another year.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:45 am

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/81 ... 01691.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you to our driver of support vehicle, Cheryl. Insurance in the form of "We will get you home :D "

And thank you to PMM for brightening the trailer, and numerous riders in gifted PMM kit.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 am

Ray, Cheryl, and Alan lead the way up the first climb north of Fingerpost Rd intersection with Tasman Highway. Leo in the background is fighting his way back after an "off road" venture.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 am

Cheryl, Denis, and Leo at Bicheno East Coast Holiday Park, packing gear on Monday prior to the 101 km ride back to Orford.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:11 am

Overheard Denis, at Bicheno " HTFU you wimps. 53X12 is what you need up Cherry Tree to build a bit of character". :D

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 am

Stretching makes one very happy :D :D :D

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:23 am

Graham at Bicheno. He has ridden the Nullabor, and most other Aussie roads, so the job ahead to Orford is no big deal.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 am

Leo and Graham about to head out of the Holiday Park at Bicheno. Orford awaits, but the Barkmill bakery at Swansea is the interim destination. You cant go by without a snack, or more, at the Barkmill.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 am

Alan, Graham, Leo, Cheryl, Denis, eager to hit the road for Orford

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 am

Simon, Julia, Ian, Michael, with 4 bikes intact at that stage. Simon suffered a terminal rear hub collapse after morning tea at Swansea. The only wheel available was 10 speed equipped, and his 9 speed chain was not compatible. A phone call , and he was in the car :cry:

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

"Whats wrong with my bike boots?"

The man who can organise a great bike ride, and have not one complaint about the rules...ever. There are none :D

We call him Dale

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 am

Robert warming up for Cherry Tree Hill, just a few km south from Bicheno.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:34 am

Another free advert for the Bicheno East Coast Holiday Park :D Home away from home, nobody was in a hurry to leave. Free meat on offer; rabbits galore :D

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:40 am

Michael, Dennis, Eric, and Simon. Eric was cross dressing in the photo, but was eventually persuaded to don the dandy lycra :D

Four participants were invisible at the photography session. Nigel, Nigel, Peter, and Brian.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 pm

"Race" report following

Another February training ride done and dusted!

Depending on who and how you count them we had up to 25 riders out there doing their bit at some stage during the three days. As to how many were in any one bunch at any one time – who knows! A long time ago I likened the ride to herding cats. You let them out in the morning and they come home at night! This year took that to even greater heights. There were bunches going everywhere – starting at various times – going in various directions – and all with smiles or grimaces attached.

Saturday saw us leaving Orford in two groups with most driving up and two riding from Hobart and surrounds. The early group left at 10. The main group left at 11. The splinter group from the main group caught the early group after their break at Swansea and then proceeded to splinter the early group! The main group trundled in after four hours which included a leisurely stop at Swansea. The weather brought out a very light tail breeze and a smidge of a shower towards Bicheno.

Sunday was a frenzy of bunches with the main bunch heading off for the 220km loop of Bicheno-Fingal-Campbell Town-Lake Leake- Bicheno at 8am. One peeled off at the bottom of Elephant Pass to go back to the late group. One peeled off at the top to go the other way on his own. The rest settled into a rhythm through the coffee stop at Fingal and lunch at Campbell Town. All the team work went to the pack as soon as the climb kicked in and the group of 11 soon became 8 bunches with everyone chasing everyone else. The shop at Lake Leake being shut down didn’t help the re-grouping but an opportune puncture from the front runners saw most get back together for the run into Bicheno. The weather was kind again – light SE tail breezes all the way to Conara and then back into it to Campbell Town. The climb hid the head wind until the turn on the highway and the SE drove us home. All back by 5:30 which – if I had a speedo – would have shown a pretty reasonable average over that distance.

The later bunches had a very successful visit to the Pancake Parlour on Elephant Pass and everyone got home before dark. Others reported the water temperature was good for a swim and that the head wind back to Bicheno hurt!

Monday morning and the wind direction had changed. A very gently NE saw us with a tail breeze all the way back to Orford. Everyone met at Swansea for the obligatory coffee but a mechanical saw the ‘main’ bunch splinter and start racing. Everyone else rode at a reasonable pace and arrived in Orford with wide smiles. And then one rode home to tick off around 600kms in 3 days!

Planning for next year starts now. Training for next year will have to wait until tomorrow - my legs say 'no'.