Gone Fishing...

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Hey Rifraf, you don't seem to have been buying much lately so I just though I'd show you my latest gear acquisition.

You know in October I'll be riding through Mavora Lakes en route to Te Anau, and I though it would be fun to try catching a trout.

I've never tried trout fishing before and realistically I don't really expect to catch one, so I wanted the lightest and most compact fishing rig I could find.

So I bought a Pen Rod Extreme - it's so tiny it's toy like, but when you see the fish it has landed, it is obviously more than a toy. But it cost me bugger all so I won't be too worried if it remains unused or if it breaks.

Hopefully I'll catch a couple of pan size fish - and that's all my touring stove and cookware will handle anyway.

So being the resident NZ expert, can you give a few tips about trout fishing. What are the most popular lures for trout spinning and where to get 'em, that kinda stuff.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Gone Fishing...

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:50 pm

I'll be interested in this. What weight rating can that rod handle?

RonK

Re: Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 am

WestcoastPete wrote:I'll be interested in this. What weight rating can that rod handle?
Not much Pete - 3lb or 4lb line is recommended, with a maximum of 6lb. But the rod comes with warnings not to lift fish with it or let the tip bend beyond 90 degrees.

So you probably wouldn't want to hook into a big barra with it.

But look at the videos on the web site - some decent fish caught...

It cost me $61.99 - and $20 of that was shipping.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:38 am

Next time you go buying a fishing rod/reel/fishing tackle Premium Fishing I've bought from them once and my mate was stunned by the prices I paid for the rod n reel.

How compact does that rod go down to?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:43 am

Oh thankyou Ronk for this. Now you have made me think about trout fishing in Tasmania

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 am

RonK wrote:So being the resident NZ expert, can you give a few tips about trout fishing. What are the most popular lures for trout spinning and where to get 'em, that kinda stuff.
Unlesss the laws have changed or your are fishing from a boat lures and spinning are out IIRC, well for sports people anyway :). Real fisherpersons fly fish for trout :) As to the best flies; probably best to ask locally where you plan to go fishing and then expect to be killed or for the safer option try here :)

Mind you when I was a teenager we used to try and tickle trout whist Leslie did the right thing :)

Andrew

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:24 am

Baalzamon wrote:How compact does that rod go down to?
It is 22 cm long when collapsed.

Posted via Tapatalk

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:25 am

Baalzamon wrote:Oh thankyou Ronk for this. Now you have made me think about trout fishing in Tasmania
And why not? There are plenty of opportunities around Tarraleah.

Posted via Tapatalk

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:44 am

That is a useful site - thanks Andrew. Looks like spinning is ok most places.

Learning the art of fly fishing is something I'll save for another time though.

Posted via Tapatalk

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:23 am

RonK wrote: And why not? There are plenty of opportunities around Tarraleah.
Yeah I've scouted around a fair bit, looks like I've gotta learn the art of fly fishing, and buy a collapsed fishing rod :roll:

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

Over on the fly fishing forums we'd cal that a RSO :wink:
I've got a Cortland 6 piece fly rod that's only about 45cm long in its tube. But I prefer my 5'9" 3 piece "twig" when touring as I can fish overgrown small streams with it. Something you can't do with spinners. It is about 60cm long in its tube but fits nicely on top of the rack bag.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:48 pm

KenGS wrote:Over on the fly fishing forums we'd cal that a RSO :wink:
Yeah, that's about what I want. :lol:

Started out looking at Berkley Nomadic rods (which are actually reasonably priced), but a decent reel to compliment the rod adds quite a lot to the price. Then saw the pen rods advertised and thought "this'll do".

I think it's unlikely I'll catch anything (though it'll be fun trying), so my prime considerations are cheap, light, compact. I'm going on cycle tour, not a fishing expedition, so a little fishing will be just a few hours pleasant diversion since I'm going to be camped at the lakes anyway. And I've heard that NZ trout pretty much just beg to be caught anyway. :wink:
KenGS wrote:I prefer my 5'9" 3 piece "twig" when touring as I can fish overgrown small streams with it. Something you can't do with spinners.
Ah, but you can. Actually I got the idea from this episode of Gourmet Farmer. Matthew Evans goes fishing with Plinio Taurian in a tiny rivulet right on the outskirts of Hobart. The rivulet is heavily overgrown with lots of low hanging foliage. Plinio uses his rod as a slingshot to lob his lure into tiny waterholes, but Mathew Evans attempts at the technique are pretty clumsy. But within a few minutes they have caught half a dozen pan-sized trout and immediately cook and eat them on the bank of the rivulet.
Last edited by RonK on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:55 pm

RonK wrote:Plinio uses his rod as a slingshot to lob his lure into tiny waterholes, but Mathew Evans attempts at the technique are pretty clumsy. But within a few minutes they have caught half a dozen pan-sized trout and immediately cook and eat them on the bank of the rivulet.
Well here is hoping both you and I catch fish on our tours. Don't know if you have had freshly caught fish before, but much much better than anything you can get anywhere else.
All I intend on catching is one legal sized trout enough for dinner :)
Will sure beat my packet fish.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:06 pm

RonK wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:I'll be interested in this. What weight rating can that rod handle?
Not much Pete - 3lb or 4lb line is recommended, with a maximum of 6lb. But the rod comes with warnings not to lift fish with it or let the tip bend beyond 90 degrees.

So you probably wouldn't want to hook into a big barra with it.
I wouldn't be able to eat a barra on my own while touring, but there's plenty of whiting, gars and bream around here that would go well in a pan for one.

I like the idea of it but wonder if I'd actually use it on a tour. One way to find out I guess...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 am

RonK wrote:Hey Rifraf, you don't seem to have been buying much lately so I just though I'd show you my latest gear acquisition.

You know in October I'll be riding through Mavora Lakes en route to Te Anau, and I though it would be fun to try catching a trout.

I've never tried trout fishing before and realistically I don't really expect to catch one, so I wanted the lightest and most compact fishing rig I could find.

So I bought a Pen Rod Extreme - it's so tiny it's toy like, but when you see the fish it has landed, it is obviously more than a toy. But it cost me bugger all so I won't be too worried if it remains unused or if it breaks.

Hopefully I'll catch a couple of pan size fish - and that's all my touring stove and cookware will handle anyway.

So being the resident NZ expert, can you give a few tips about trout fishing. What are the most popular lures for trout spinning and where to get 'em, that kinda stuff.Posted via Tapatalk

Hi Ron,
very nice looking bit of kit.
I've never tried fresh water fishing, not being a fan of eating trout.
I was a smoker in my youth so I suspect my tastebuds arnt all they could be.
I do however love saltwater fish and when near a coast cant resist spending some time wetting a line.
I've had a telescopic rod for many a year and light spinning reel.
On my extended stay in Karamea in the South Islands West Coast (the top) I practically lived off Kahawai or what you might refer to
as Australian sea Salmon.
Doesnt keep or freeze well but is very nice gutted on the spot and wrapped in foil with some onions and maybe a spot of dill or fennel
and cooked in the embers of a small fire (usually needed to keep warm in NZ's weather).
Find a river mouth and start casting towards the sea on the incoming tide seemed to get the best results.
I still have my gear (though its worn a bit now like most of my things) and looking its age.
The reel is Shakespeare Sigma Supra RT Long Cast.
Just two ball bearings but its caught many a fish.
The rod is Tele Universal of 2.10metres.
Neither was particularly dear, but both have provided very good service.
Funny you should post this last night as this was when I was digging my fishing gear out from the cubboard to try to work out how to
load my panniers and rack bag without managing to put all the weight on one side.
As for the trout, NZ is reputed to have plenty and not just where the population is sparse like you may expect.
Obviously where there are less people there will be more fish and larger but people still seem to get fish in densely populated areas like in
the Hutt River in the Hutt Valley Wellington.
As a side note, Karamea is world famous for its trout and grade 5 river for white water sports eg Kayaking, Rafting etc.
As for not buying lately, its mostly that I'm that close to leaving that I wont be around for delivery.
A few little situations have needed me to hang around a little longer than expected but are all but tied up now.
I've been awaiting my Australian passport which needed guarantors.
As I know no-one in WA for the required length of time, this has been easier to sort out where I am rather than trying to do from out
of the area.
They now like citizens to come and go on Aussie passports where last I was here they wernt that fussy, but that was pre 9/11.
Oh and if fishing fresh water in NZ, make sure you grab a liciense, as they will appropriate you fishing gear and transport otherwise (and yes I've heard of them taking bikes).
Last I bothered to check you didnt need one of for salt water.
I wont tell you about the huge success a friend "claims" to have fishing for trout with baby mice rubber banded to a hook as I understand
live bait is illegal in NZ (freshwater) :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

That's a nice little rod you have there Ron and got me thinking as well that I might have to trade in the old trusty hand line for something like your set-up. The old hand line has served me well placing a few good lands on the menu but a rod like that might add to the catch variety so thanks for the links and mention.

Ricky

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:55 pm

RSO...surely not the tool it's how you use it?
I always carry a small handline. Fresh water/jetty/rocks. Get your rig as close to site and you'll be sorted... local experience and all.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:55 pm

From the thread "Touring Meals":
WarrenH wrote: I use a telescopic rod and my lures are, red and gold Celta #2s and Frog Celta #3s. There is no shortage of Trout (Brown and Rainbows), in the high country streams where I like to ride.
Warren.
Hi Ron,
it appears Warrens experienced and has some good ideas with regards to the bounty of the land.
As he has yet to spot this thread, I suggest you throw him a lure via PM and reel him in. :roll:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:24 pm

rifraf wrote:From the thread "Touring Meals":
WarrenH wrote: I use a telescopic rod and my lures are, red and gold Celta #2s and Frog Celta #3s. There is no shortage of Trout (Brown and Rainbows), in the high country streams where I like to ride.
Warren.
Hi Ron,
it appears Warrens experienced and has some good ideas with regards to the bounty of the land.
As he has yet to spot this thread, I suggest you throw him a lure via PM and reel him in. :roll:
Dunno how I forgot about that - it was his photo of a blue yabby that got me thinking about fishing in the first place.

Posted via Tapatalk

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I've a Sportsfisher 168cm telescopic rod made in Korea, still with the old basic reel that came with it. I use it for freshwater fishing. It goes with me everywhere. I cant remember the last time I went touring without it. I change the line every couple of years, new line is strong, old line snaps too easily. I use a 2-3 kg line. I have a pair of needle nose pliers encase I need to do a brake pad change and to remove the split pins and for removing hooks. One tool with multiple uses ... I keep meaning to do a pad change.

Fibreglass cures over time. Normally fibreglass will get brittle and fail after a long life, but this rod is about 25 years old now and apart from the coating over the brass eyes wearing off, this rod it is just as flexible as the day I got it. Most surprisingly. When I'm moving camp I wrap/roll the rod inside a Thermarest. The best protection I can give the rod. I don't lift fish with the rod if I can help it. Do you know the old joke about the guy who took his pet fish for a drag around the block ... it 'ain't a joke.

Back to one object having multiple uses to cut down on weight when touring ... need a fish net for landing a big one? Tie up one end of your face net and lace the other end on a forked branch. Sorry, I must have been watching Bear Grylls.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:27 pm

Ron, one thing that I overlooked mentioning is when I fish, in the High Country. 10 minutes before sun rise until 15 minutes after sun up and 15 minutes before sun down until 10 minutes after sunset. I certainly don't stand around fishing. Using lures/spinners, red and gold Celta #2 and yellow and green Frog Celta #3 gives me reasonably good results in the High Country. I'm not a fisherman, I'm a person who fishes for a meal.

Now Yabbying is different. I am a Yabbiest. I take 2 drop nets with put-together hollow aluminium hoops. Hoop nets are cumbersome so I've modified my nets to being a collapsable system, that can be easily packed away. I vacuum bagged meat for bait in the past, which of course is horrid when opened after a few days. Then I change to dehydrated fruit and vegetables as bait, like dehydrated pear, apples and carrots. Yabbies prefer rotting vegetation rather than meat, if you want those bigger catches. Yabbies are addicted to pear, apples and carrots. They also like dehydrated peas but only after a few hours of soaking until the peas are almost mushy. Normally I'll leave the nets in overnight and haul them several times during the time.

The bag limit for yabbies is 200 with no size limit in NSW, although the net's weave when stretched (which must be no smaller than 13mm) will let the littlies escape. Berried Yabbies (females with eggs) are off limits.

One of the reasons why I like the Travelling Stock Routes are the Yabbie filled dams close to rivers. Crayfishing in the farm dams close to rivers gives good results.

Recreational Fishing Licences apply for the different States but fishing licences aren't necessary here in the ACT (which is odd) but the rules for inland fishing in NSW apply here in the ACT. I have an ongoing licence for NSW ($75 for 3 years or $30 for one year). In the past when I've gone into Victoria I have only purchase the licence for the time I expected to spend in Victoria ... the Victorian Fishing Licence costs me last year, $12 for 4 weeks.

In NSW if you are fishing or crayfishing on private property, you must have a Recreational Fishing Licence if the waterway/dam is greater than 2 ha.

I was at a monster farm dam recently in the Northern Tinderries and pulled my nets when I saw what may have been a platypus. It could have been a native water rat, I couldn't tell. No fishing in platypus waters is the rule.

I have a rule that I try not post the same photos twice on BNA ... I don't think I've posted these particular images here before but for the Blue Claw Yabbie I'll make an exception.

A typical dam yabbie ... a Common Yabbie Cherax destructor, as brown as the water they come out of.

A Blue Claw from a gravely clear stream.

The Murrumbidgee in the NW of the ACT at the Bass Hole.

The Murrumbidgee features a lot in my shots, the Tiger Snake country at Yaouk. I have a pair of the tightly woven bullet-proof snake-proof canvas gaiters. Never step off a bank here in the SE without looking.

Pan sized trout are the best fish like those in Caves Creek on the Frost Plains of Northern Kosciuszko.

I keep looking for the big Eastern Freshwater Spiny Crayfish. The Yadboro River, in the Budawang Wilderness (below). I've seen the Spiny Crayfish in the Blue Mountains just in the clear water streams, but it is illegal to take them from Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Park.

There is always the deep pools on the western face of the Main Range like here on the Geehi.

Stromlo Forest Park, Australia's premier MTB Park has a few Yabby spots out on Mt Stromlo's western slopes. Put the nets in, watch a race and enjoy the views of the beautiful Brindies.

A high lake in the Northern Tinderries. I saw plenty of signs that Yabbies were about, like old claws on the banks, but no joy. It was here a few weeks ago that I had my nets ripped in several places, when I left then in over night. I don't think it was native water rats because I was using lift nets. Most likely the damage was caused by an Eastern Freshwater Spiny Crayfish. They are powerful creatures.

Ettrema, in Sentry Box Canyon. Ettrema Canyon is not easy to access, but well worth the effort. Dump the bike in the bush and mark it with your GPS so you can find the bike again. Ettrema has the cleanest water in SE Australia, the deepest pools with perfect visibility, so take your goggles. Smooth Crayfish the bright red ones and eels ... http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... =7644&v=BH

The Deua. I've posted this shot before, but it is possibly my favourite image of all time because I was fishing at night and I caught a Southern Longfin Eel using my Petzal head torch to attract it. I wrapped it in foil, cooked it in the coals a few minutes later. I stayed awake all night keeping this large Goanna away from the eel in foil and I had the eel cold for breakfast the next morning ... the finest meal that I have ever eaten. Not just when off-road touring but the finest meal ever.

At the confluence of the Murrumbidgee river and Mountain Creek ... Silver Perch and trout.

Tickle me, tickle me !! ... sure.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Max

Gone Fishing...

Postby Max » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

WarrenH wrote:No fishing in platypus waters is the rule.
Why's that?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 am

Not to spoil your party but just remember the season officially starts on 1 November.
Tributaries of Te Anau, Manapouri, Monowai, Hauroko, Hankinson except Eglinton, upper Waiau and Mararoa Rivers
Trout: 1 Nov-30 Apr
Salmon: 1 Nov-31 Mar
No size limit
Total: 2
Salmon: 1
(No limit on perch)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:44 pm

GJ_Coop wrote:Not to spoil your party but just remember the season officially starts on 1 November.
Tributaries of Te Anau, Manapouri, Monowai, Hauroko, Hankinson except Eglinton, upper Waiau and Mararoa Rivers
Trout: 1 Nov-30 Apr
Salmon: 1 Nov-31 Mar
No size limit
Total: 2
Salmon: 1
(No limit on perch)
That is confusing GJ - what is your source? If I'm reading it correctly, the NZ Fishing web page gives the 2011 - 2012 trout season as being from 1 October - 30 April for the Mavora Lakes, which lie on the Mararoa River.

I'd probably be OK anyway, as I won't arrive there until November.

But first I'll have to find out how to fish for trout...
Last edited by RonK on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 pm

WarrenH wrote:Now Yabbying is different. I am a Yabbiest.
Jeez Wazza - keep posting those photos and one day I'm going to turn up on your doorstep and camp there until you take me on a trip.

No would that be a yabbaholic - I hope you leave a few for the platypus - or is that platypii?

Oh, and by the way - I salute your patience dealing with BNT enquiries.