Mt Coot-tha training

Abby

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Abby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

Crittski wrote:Oh and with my job and a young family, if I plan to do this three times per week, it actually means that I get to do it 1-2 times per week!
*lol* I'm glad I'm not the only one that plans training volume like that... :D
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 pm

10.37 this morning on the back climb, beat my PB by 24 seconds on last time.
Getting closer to the 10min bracket now ....yeah :D

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Le Velo wrote:10.37 this morning on the back climb, beat my PB by 24 seconds on last time.
That is a good time Le Velo.

I was there this morning too. Was heading for a sub 10 minute time, but bonked in the last 500 m, ended up with 10:56. Oh well, there is next week...

Lots of mountain bikers up there this morning, must be training for the challenge next month. Cheers.
Merida Scultura Evo 909 Full Dura Ace (Weekender) & Merida HFS 904 Com Full Ultegra (Trainer)

When you feel yourself struggling up a hill, just get over it!

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:03 pm

colaiacw wrote:
Le Velo wrote:10.37 this morning on the back climb, beat my PB by 24 seconds on last time.
That is a good time Le Velo.

I was there this morning too. Was heading for a sub 10 minute time, but bonked in the last 500 m, ended up with 10:56. Oh well, there is next week...

Lots of mountain bikers up there this morning, must be training for the challenge next month. Cheers.
Thanks .... Lots of people out there this morning yes, Trekkers, runners and cyclist of course and too right I think people are training for the challenge indeed .... That's my plan too.
Never thought I could to that time but I just went and aim for the best ....l no to raise the bar and aim for a 10 if not below

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Well done mate... smashing it. Friday I had a bus chasing me up there. He didn't want to overtake so sat behind me for about 500m until passing me at channel ten. Damn I thought I could hold him too... :lol: :lol: :roll:

I'll be there Tue and Thurs this week.. I bought a set of climbing wheels yesterday.. can't wait to give them a run. Won't happen this week though. :(

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Comedian wrote:
Well done mate... smashing it. Friday I had a bus chasing me up there. He didn't want to overtake so sat behind me for about 500m until passing me at channel ten. Damn I thought I could hold him too... :lol: :lol: :roll:

I'll be there Tue and Thurs this week.. I bought a set of climbing wheels yesterday.. can't wait to give them a run. Won't happen this week though. :(
Thanks comedian, still a way To go to the 10 and under target but slowly and surely, it think it's been my 5th attempt on the back so wrapped with that as my training doesn't involve much climbing.
Climbing wheel? What did you get?
I actually had the full carbon reynolds 46 on this morning as it wasn't planned to do the climb until the other guys said so and surprisingly they climbed very well

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:05 pm

Le Velo wrote:
Comedian wrote:

Thanks comedian, still a way To go to the 10 and under target but slowly and surely, it think it's been my 5th attempt on the back so wrapped with that as my training doesn't involve much climbing.
Climbing wheel? What did you get?
I actually had the full carbon reynolds 46 on this morning as it wasn't planned to do the climb until the other guys said so and surprisingly they climbed very well
Durace c24's. Will be interesting to see if there is much difference. :)

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice ..... Got a set of those on order already for climbing and training too for the B bike :D ! Give me some feedbacks on how they go

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:26 pm

lol saw a mate on strava do 5 summit runs at 5am last week, all done in times less than my pathetic 12:25!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Inwood and I have been training for the challenge...
We both went seperately on saturday. I won't say his time (will let him), but I did it twice
first time 12:08 (2 seconds better than last time)
second time 12:59 (30 seconds better than last time).
did 2 full loops (i.e. not just up and down) which I think is a bit of an advantage as it gives you time to recover.
New PB of 12:08 and felt good.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Anyone else be there in the morning? :)

Comedian

Mt Coot-tha training

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 am

Hmmm nice morning up there today. Saw some dudes who were about a minute ahead of me get pulled by the cops going down the front on the first descent after the summit.

I'm a bit conflicted on this.. I don't condone speeding but I've seen too many people approach the t intersection struggling to stop with shagged brakes after dragging them down. Better to sail down and arrive with fresh brakes IMHO.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Comedian wrote:Hmmm nice morning up there today. Saw some dudes who were about a minute ahead of me get pulled by the cops going down the front on the first descent after the summit.

I'm a bit conflicted on this.. I don't condone speeding but I've seen too many people approach the t intersection struggling to stop with shagged brakes after dragging them down. Better to sail down and arrive with fresh brakes IMHO.
What is the speed limit going down? I would've got booked as I hit 72.2 going down the front today ..... decided to skip lunch and give it a crack again today but was 10 sec slower than sunday .... argh ..... at least I went out and up :D Another 55k in the legs

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:52 pm

It's a 60km/h zone down past the gardens. Be careful on the streets around Bardon and Stuartholme Rd, plenty are 50 zones. I got flashed by a speed camera on Stuartholme Dr the other week. I didn't realise it was a 50 zone.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:00 pm

I no longer have any fear of shagged brakes at the T intersection now that I descend on discs. I pull up when and how fast I want every time!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:20 pm

Crittski wrote:I no longer have any fear of shagged brakes at the T intersection now that I descend on discs. I pull up when and how fast I want every time!
I'll ride it for you - you need the brakes bedded in don't you? :D
You doing the coot-tha challenge?

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:22 pm

jasonc wrote:You doing the coot-tha challenge?
Yes, I do a coot-tha challenge most weekends
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Crittski wrote:
jasonc wrote:You doing the coot-tha challenge?
Yes, I do a coot-tha challenge most weekends
ha! are you doing the BDO coot-tha challenge?

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 pm

yes!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:58 pm

Had my first crack at Cootha on the weekend. I havent ridden it for at least 2 years - and even then i only ever rode from the gardens to Summit cafe up the front side. So you cant even really call it the Cootha climb.

So I rode from Runcorn to Coro drive - had a banana - rode my way to Cootha, took it easy as i wanted to finish it without blowing. Went the anti-clockwise loop. Ended up with a time of about 11:30mins. Rode back home and added 2 Mt Gravatt climbs on the way. Pretty good ride.

Im no lightweight (82kgs) but i reckon i can knock it below 11mins next time. Biggest factor was that i didnt really know where the KOM line was - but now im abit more familiar i can pace myself better. Sub 10mins is probably a pipedream tho haha :lol:

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:01 pm

Comedian wrote:... Saw some dudes who were about a minute ahead of me get pulled by the cops going down the front on the first descent after the summit...
Hmm. I dont ride with a bike computer (i log my rides on Strava for the iphone tho) - and as far as im aware i am not legally required to have a speedo. How would the po-po go about booking me for speeding if i cant tell the exact speed im travelling? Or are they just giving out warnings not fines...?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 pm

punk_rob wrote:
Comedian wrote:... Saw some dudes who were about a minute ahead of me get pulled by the cops going down the front on the first descent after the summit...
Hmm. I dont ride with a bike computer (i log my rides on Strava for the iphone tho) - and as far as im aware i am not legally required to have a speedo. How would the po-po go about booking me for speeding if i cant tell the exact speed im travelling? Or are they just giving out warnings not fines...?
I'd say you'd get done for careless or dangerous riding rather than speeding.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I was wondering the above too. I don't yet have a speedo, so don't know how fast I've gone til I check strava or runkeeper (on my android phone) after my ride.

Does anyone know if it's a legal requirement to have a speedometer on a bicycle? :?:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:59 pm

its a legal requirement not to speed, so how you manage that on a bike is your own problem to solve...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

RobM

Postby RobM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Interesting. Wonder what also happens if you get stopped and you don't own a drivers license? I presume it's just a fine then as they cant take any points off you.