Jarrahdale

dino1969

Jarrahdale

Postby dino1969 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Just got back from my first attempt Cockburn to Jarrahdale!First of all I would like to place my respect on record to those of you that do hill riding regularly! :D : Though I enjoyed this ride immensely I had a few things I could have done better! I rode along the full length of Mundijong road and that bumpy road took a lot out of me!On the return I road along Kargotich road and onto Thomas-a vast improvement!I also need to fine tune my gearing for the steeper inclines!On a positive note I loved that descent!!Absolutely awesome!I also manged to make it home without too much fatigue!Please tell me that it gets better!!!The ride took me 3hours and 15 minutes. :)
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first." - William Shakespeare

rider_1

Re: Jarrahdale

Postby rider_1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 pm

dino1969 wrote:Just got back from my first attempt Cockburn to Jarrahdale!First of all I would like to place my respect on record to those of you that do hill riding regularly! :D : Though I enjoyed this ride immensely I had a few things I could have done better! I rode along the full length of Mundijong road and that bumpy road took a lot out of me!On the return I road along Kargotich road and onto Thomas-a vast improvement!I also need to fine tune my gearing for the steeper inclines!On a positive note I loved that descent!!Absolutely awesome!I also manged to make it home without too much fatigue!Please tell me that it gets better!!!The ride took me 3hours and 15 minutes. :)
enjoy the hill mate, you can pass to kingsburry and have a visit to serpentine dam...nice scenery there...
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 pm

One road I don't like riding on is Mundijong Rd. No shoulder and cars doing 100kph makes for a stressful ride. My hills ride when I was doing it was about 4hrs round trip doing 100km, but I've been off the bike past few weeks.
It does get easier tho :)
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:17 pm

Baalzamon wrote:One road I don't like riding on is Mundijong Rd. No shoulder and cars doing 100kph makes for a stressful ride. My hills ride when I was doing it was about 4hrs round trip doing 100km, but I've been off the bike past few weeks.
where's your route ? abernethy rd after nicholson ? what time ?
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Baalzamon wrote:One road I don't like riding on is Mundijong Rd. No shoulder and cars doing 100kph makes for a stressful ride. My hills ride when I was doing it was about 4hrs round trip doing 100km, but I've been off the bike past few weeks.
rider_1 wrote:
dino1969 wrote:Just got back from my first attempt Cockburn to Jarrahdale!First of all I would like to place my respect on record to those of you that do hill riding regularly! :D : Though I enjoyed this ride immensely I had a few things I could have done better! I rode along the full length of Mundijong road and that bumpy road took a lot out of me!On the return I road along Kargotich road and onto Thomas-a vast improvement!I also need to fine tune my gearing for the steeper inclines!On a positive note I loved that descent!!Absolutely awesome!I also manged to make it home without too much fatigue!Please tell me that it gets better!!!The ride took me 3hours and 15 minutes. :)
enjoy the hill mate, you can pass to kingsburry and have a visit to serpentine dam...nice scenery there...[/quote

Thank you gentlemen! 8)

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 am

I rode Roe/Willeri to Jarrahdale and back again on Sunday. (Down in the morning, back late arvo.) Saw one guy on a road bike waiting and waiting for the feeder arrow to change in his favour on one of the Tonkin Hwy intersections. I was waiting for the pedestrian crossing and I think we both sat through three complete cycles. Still, once you get away from controlled intersections it's fine.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:11 am

Hi guys,
I'm new to the Baldivis area and looking for some rides out Jarrahdale/Serpentine way, are you able to link me to say a google maps or map my ride page that has the course you ride in this area set out? It would be much appreciated.
Also, if you're looking for company on the rides, I would be keen for a spin!
Cheers

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 pm

KD cycles have a good ride leaving their shop on Sat mornings at 6.30am

90km which has a split about half way for fast and not so fast.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Jezza75

Postby Jezza75 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 pm

Which way did you go up to Jarradale? Did you head up Jarrahdale road or thru Byford and up Nettleton rd?
Personally, I like up Jarrahdale and down either Nettleton or down Kingsbury drive.
Either way, its a nice ride and well worth the Jarrahburger at half way :D

Hills hurt but couches KILL!

dino1969

Postby dino1969 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Jezza75 wrote:
Which way did you go up to Jarradale? Did you head up Jarrahdale road or thru Byford and up Nettleton rd?
Personally, I like up Jarrahdale and down either Nettleton or down Kingsbury drive.
Either way, its a nice ride and well worth the Jarrahburger at half way :D
Redbull wrote:KD cycles have a good ride leaving their shop on Sat mornings at 6.30am

90km which has a split about half way for fast and not so fast.
thank you fellas!

Jezza i went up through Jarrahdale.Will be keen to take on the Kingsbury drive in the near future!i have heard alot about those burgers ! :D

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm

lynskey_rider wrote:I'm new to the Baldivis area and looking for some rides out Jarrahdale/Serpentine way, are you able to link me to say a google maps or map my ride page that has the course you ride in this area set out? It would be much appreciated. Cheers
Have a guernsey around bikely.com; search some of the place names and it should return routes that mention them.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 pm

Hey lynskey_rider I live in Baldivis too and was thinking about starting some Hills rides soon. i'm very happy to ride along with you if you're interested. Also I think Baalzamon and Clubagreenie go up there fairly regularly on saturday mornings from around Kwinana area I think.
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Dobo wrote:Hey lynskey_rider I live in Baldivis too and was thinking about starting some Hills rides soon. i'm very happy to ride along with you if you're interested. Also I think Baalzamon and Clubagreenie go up there fairly regularly on saturday mornings from around Kwinana area I think.
Both clubagreenie and I have been off our bikes for 3 weeks so not for a few more weeks whilst I get my legs back.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Dobo

Postby Dobo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:57 pm

I know how you feel Baalzamon. I was off my bike for 4 weeks while I was iting for my new bike and am struggling abit to get my fitness back. I'll get there in the end though. See you out there!
Fuji Altamira 3.0 2012

lynskey_rider

Postby lynskey_rider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Dobo,
Sounds great to me! Shoot us a PM when you get a chance and we can sort something out. My legs are pretty average by the weekend after a week of a 50km + loop of commuting, but im up for it none the less!
Cheers

macka

Postby macka » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 am

We are planning a bike ride to Jarrahdale around April where we will be dropped off at the Albany highway turn-off and cycle to Jarrahdale for lunch. Following this, divert to the Serp’ dam for a look see and back to Jarrahdale then the ride is basically down hill to the south west highway where some cars are waiting - and off home. Cheating yes I know...
A great ride, cool air, plenty of people to enjoy with and the food is not bad
Macka

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:38 am

Just don't do your ride on the 14th April, BWA (Cyclo Sportif in the old language) are running their 3 Dams and 5 Dams events that day and the latter comes through from the Albany Hwy to Jarrahdale then Serpentine Dam. http://www.bwa.org.au/events/632/ . Not too sure how busy the 5 Dams gets but I got stuck in with the 3 Dams teams heading home on the Kwinana freeway path last year and it was a bit crowded. Also something to note for anyone planning a trip to Mandurah and back that day. The Audax club has an event up that way the prior weekend but few in numbers and the biggest hazard are their bright yellow jerseys and queue at the coffee stop.

And for those with GPS there's a segment up Jarrahdale Rd on RideWithGPS.com that needs a bit of loving. The climb from the South West Hwy up to the intersection with Nettleton Rd. 5.4km and 171m climbing.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Peel Districts Cycle Club has a bunch leave KD Cycles in Rockingham at 6.00am Saturday morning for hills training. All training for the 3 and 5 dams challenge

It goes down Read Rd to Safety Bay Rd (collects riders at the cycle path) then heads south on the PSP and collects more riders coming up from Mandurah. The ride then goes along Karnup Rd heading east and goes up Kingsbury Drive. Regroup at the top.

Then to Jarrahdale (stop again at the Jarrahdale store) and down Nettleton. Regroup at the servo at the bottom of the hill.

Then back west via Orton Rd (this is great with the easterly at your back - 40kph no problemo) which is the safest road by far in the area and back to Rockingham through Wellard.

All up about 125kms averaging about 30kph for the total ride (though the last one was very quick at 32kph - thank goodness I wasn't there LOL). This weekend it increases in distance to 150kms.

This will happen every Saturday until the Dams Challenge.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Baalzamon wrote: It does get easier tho :)
It doesn't get easier, you just get faster.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Sprocket

Postby Sprocket » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Rule #10 :D