Commuter Cup Racing

Xplora

Re: Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm

rkelsen wrote:First commute of the year, and I was attacked by a fat MAMIL (is that a tautology?) on a BMC RaceMachine. So I had to. :twisted:

Soft target, but I don't care. His bike cost ten times the price of mine.
Soft target? The entire notion of CCR is to crush the hopes and dreams of the weak - if it was supposed to be fair you'd need a starting gun and consent to race :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:26 pm

it's your duty to crush wannabes on unnecessarily expensive racebikes - australians dislike those types of status symbols and they must be constantly reminded that buying a BMC race machine doesn't make them cadel evans :)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Duly noted. :)

I will try to continue crushing dreams with my pinstriped mudguards.

Max

Commuter Cup Racing

Postby Max » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Xplora wrote:The entire notion of CCR is to crush the hopes and dreams of the weak
Absolute gold! :lol: :D

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:18 am

Xplora wrote:The entire notion of CCR is to crush the hopes and dreams of the weak
It's great when I'm riding and people do a double-take because I'm overtaking them riding a flat bar and they are on a road bikes :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:24 am

jasonc wrote:
It's great when I'm riding and people do a double-take because I'm overtaking them riding a flat bar and they are on a road bikes :D
Remember that it's only a win if they actively attempt to race you. Sometimes people take it easy for all sorts of reasons. They may have already been out and smashed themselves... or came from a long way away, be crook, etc etc. :)

For many riding is not just commuting. :)

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:07 pm

CCR Au Go Go this morning. It seemed as though everybody wanted to race. There were quite a few guys in Defence Cycling Club kit - competitive types who don't like getting overtaken much - especially by somebody on a bike with full mudguards.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm

i crushed a CCR wanabe this evening. he came blowing past me as i was spinning along at 130-140 bpm. i thought "let's see your stamina" and kept him at 50-100m without trying too much. at a hill 4 km later he'd clearly run out of puff and was spinning a ridiculously low gear, his legs pedalling furiously as i cruised past him.

this really lifted my spirits after riding around with a seized rear piston on my MTB and getting whipped by allcomers :cry:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Not absolute wins, but I took a bogan bike (those ratty mopeds) today after they and their mate were clearly trying to stay in front of me. Took them on the flat sitting down behind UWS towards Parramatta (chasing from the wharf at Rydalmere), then kept them back up the hill to the bridge :) Also popped in front of a bloke at Fitzwilliam, he looked like he was doing a training run and was waiting for the green bike, I ventured in front and then saw him coming. Jumped up and hammered it into the distance. Did a similar thing yesterday at the same spot. hehehhehehehhehehehhehehe 8)

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 am

Smashed a newb on a Reid southbound down St. Kilda Road this morning. Bastard made my lungs hurt, but he was nowhere to be seen by the time I got to Domain Rd.

Hey, he was asking for it.

:x

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Remember that it's only a win if they actively attempt to race you. Sometimes people take it easy for all sorts of reasons. They may have already been out and smashed themselves... or came from a long way away, be crook, etc etc. :)

Well that's just taken the fun out of it. I was about to say I smashed past an 85 year old man on a singlespeed this morning :D

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 pm

i had a good one this arvo. bloke on a roadie comes thundering past me up a short incline while i'm riding on my MTB on the main yarra trail. i was riding tempo and noticed his progress slowed. then eventually i caught him, sat behind him a while, and overtook, without really lifting my pace. he did a double take as i went past :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

The most horrifying CCR moments are those where you aren't racing, and you go by at 15-20kph faster than them - the best ones are where you can see them grinding and you just blow them out of the water. :D

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:59 am

Dunno if we were both trying, however it felt good to go past a guy on a roadie with a cycleops powermeter. I passed him twice - firstly on a downhill, he sat on for a bit after we were holding a good speed and passed me on the flat. I passed him again going up anzac bridge, very rewarding!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:13 pm

This morning just after 6 I was sitting at a red light in the shoulder on a divided road stretch of highway next to a semi at Sandgate just north of Newcastle. There was about a 1.5m gap between myself and the truck. The light turned green and as I was about to start moving, there was a sudden whoosh as a guy on a road bike raced through that gap, missing me by about half a metre. He scared me witless - totally wasn't expecting him. :shock: I was on my Felt Dispatch single speed drop bar. It only has 46/17 gearing on, but it's light and can go.

I thought "OK, maybe he thinks he just pwned me. We'll see." :twisted:

Game on.

I started chasing. He was sitting on 37-38 km/h and for me that means a cadence of 110. I didn't care. I didn't want to have a go at him, just make the point that if you're gonna pass that close that fast, you'd better be prepared to either;

1. Keep up that speed or
2. Be pwned

So I followed him along a straight stretch of the highway, but hung back about 3 bike lengths. I didn't have enough gearing to take him at that speed, but keeping up was no problem. Anyway, after about 3km we approached a hilly northbound overpass (at Hexham - over the Hunter River). He'd dropped back to about 32 km/h, was clearly losing form and I knew I had him. But as I was about to pass him, he crossed over both lanes to a shoulder on the far right of the inside lane (southbound traffic is on a separate road - an old bridge).

I was ahead of him, but I was confused. Was he pwned when I went past? Is that a CCR win? :?

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 pm

The only people I see on my commute are group rides, don't often get much too do with them, but it is fun when occasionally i get a chance (as they always seem to be chatting) to shoot past them on a flat bar carrying a backpack and in bordies and a t-shirt. it’s not long after that they catch back up, then it's all on for about 2-4 km when they always turn off towards the coast and i keep heading inland. It’s not often maybe 2-3 times in the last 2 years. I see group rides everywhere around here but never seem to pass them or have them pass me.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:46 pm

Comedian wrote:

That’s “Comedian” rules

KonaCommuter rules are easier. If you see a cyclist and overtake them without them later overtaking you - you win a scalp. PWND is PWND even if they didn’t know they were competing :lol:
2012 Oppy A4

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:52 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
Comedian wrote:

That’s “Comedian” rules

KonaCommuter rules are easier. If you see a cyclist and overtake them without them later overtaking you - you win a scalp. PWND is PWND even if they didn’t know they were competing :lol:
YEAH +1

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 pm

waramatt wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:
Comedian wrote:

That’s “Comedian” rules

YEAH +1
Ok... well put me down for 18 from this morning ????? :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:29 am

Had a cracker last night coming home through Pyrmont/Anzac bridge. The regular flat bar guy who always rides as fast as he can pulls up next to me at Pyrmont. We both know of each other. He usually races me up the anzac bridge but I don't participate. I love his enthusiasm though and give plenty of encouragement. Last night i thought i'd have a go at participation.

He leads off through Pyrmont and i sit on his tail. We get to the ramp onto the bridge and he clicks through about 5 gears and slows right down to spin. I'm on the fixed gear so i keep the momentum up and pass him. I hear his gears click again and he sat on my wheel. Once off the ramp and onto the gradual climb i remain out of the saddle and put the power down. He's still on my wheel. About half way up on about 34km/hr i hear him making his move. He pulls out and attempts to overtake. The aero pull starts to get the better of him and starts to drift over on me (the classic sign of i don't have much left but want to get in front). I yell out "don't come across on me" and leave him hanging out there to suffer. He starts to drift back to my side. About 200m from the crest i attack. I look back once getting to the crest of the bridge and he's slumped over the bars! :lol: By the time i get to the bottom of the decent and the ramp over Vic rd i've put 1min on him 8)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 am

Strawburger = LEGEND :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:31 pm

waramatt wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote: KonaCommuter rules are easier. If you see a cyclist and overtake them without them later overtaking you - you win a scalp. PWND is PWND even if they didn’t know they were competing :lol:
YEAH +1
Awesome, in that case I'll take +2 for the lady with the 3 year old kid on a babyseat (2 mornings in a row), and +1 for a 60+ looking fellow on a tiny BMX.

Oh yeah - and +1 more for the e-bike I blasted past last week about 200m before my turnoff from the PSP :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:34 pm

Strawburger wrote:Had a cracker last night coming home through Pyrmont/Anzac bridge. The regular flat bar guy who always rides as fast as he can pulls up next to me at Pyrmont. We both know of each other. He usually races me up the anzac bridge but I don't participate. I love his enthusiasm though and give plenty of encouragement. Last night i thought i'd have a go at participation.

He leads off through Pyrmont and i sit on his tail. We get to the ramp onto the bridge and he clicks through about 5 gears and slows right down to spin. I'm on the fixed gear so i keep the momentum up and pass him. I hear his gears click again and he sat on my wheel. Once off the ramp and onto the gradual climb i remain out of the saddle and put the power down. He's still on my wheel. About half way up on about 34km/hr i hear him making his move. He pulls out and attempts to overtake. The aero pull starts to get the better of him and starts to drift over on me (the classic sign of i don't have much left but want to get in front). I yell out "don't come across on me" and leave him hanging out there to suffer. He starts to drift back to my side. About 200m from the crest i attack. I look back once getting to the crest of the bridge and he's slumped over the bars! :lol: By the time i get to the bottom of the decent and the ramp over Vic rd i've put 1min on him 8)
That is real CCR, not mind racing like most of the stuff on here.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:49 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Strawburger wrote:Had a cracker last night coming home through Pyrmont/Anzac bridge. The regular flat bar guy who always rides as fast as he can pulls up next to me at Pyrmont. We both know of each other. He usually races me up the anzac bridge but I don't participate. I love his enthusiasm though and give plenty of encouragement. Last night i thought i'd have a go at participation.

That is real CCR, not mind racing like most of the stuff on here.
I wouldn't even go as far as to say mind racing....
Happy Days

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Fletcher wrote:CCR Au Go Go this morning. It seemed as though everybody wanted to race. There were quite a few guys in Defence Cycling Club kit - competitive types who don't like getting overtaken much - especially by somebody on a bike with full mudguards.
I got owned by a guy on a singlespeed with full mudguards on Tuesday morning :oops:

When I caught him at the lights he just stood there track standing for about 2 minutes until the lights changed. And then he was off again.

He had Rockstar Racing livery on. :lol: