Camping stool

footloose

Camping stool

Postby footloose » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I noticed that il padrone and others are using what looks like a nice, lightweight, three legged stool with a canvas or vinyl seat.
Will somebody tell me a brand name. price and supplier, please?

Brian.

il padrone

Re: Camping stool

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:30 am

The one I use is the Coghlan's three-legged camping stool. I bought one over 10 years ago for $26, then about 6 years ago found some for ~$10 and bought three more for the family. Not sure where you'd source them, camping and bushwalking stores mainly. The Coghlan's is the characteristic blue fabric. There are other versions, and they do vary somewhat in durability. My Coghlan's has been very durable. There are some sold by Australian Geographic but they don't last so well. Some just have a plastic ring at the leg pivot - beware, they break. Mine has a solid disc of plastic. This is the Coghlan's:

and this is the plastic disc pivot

The standard three-legged stools are a little bit too short to sit on for a long time - OK for cooking, eating and a chat after dinner.
A friend of mine has another type - the Walkstool, three-legged but a good bit taller (available in several heights) and it telescopes to pack compact.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 am

I vote for the Walkstool it is the toughest 3 legged stool on the market plus it has the advantage of closing the telescopic legs and using it as a smaller stool which can be handy for working on your bike.

Here is another link to the basic model

http://www.kitbag.com.au/search.php?sea ... ol&x=0&y=0

Here is the home page for Workstool

http://www.walkstool.net/

http://www.walkstool.net/uk/product/indexframe.html

I choose the Workstool comfort 55 XL because when seated my thighs are at 90 degrees to the ground so eating with your plate on your legs is easy and I find that having your thighs at 90 degrees is more relaxing. I also wanted a larger sitting surface because after all there isn't much in there weight so again I went for comfort so the junk in the trunk had a good surface area to park. The mesh seat is the strongest you going to find it really is thick and durable plus the added bonus of two heights of chair in one stool. Another reason why I went with the folding style was I pack mine in a home made storm pipe container for easy getting too and removal so when stopping you can just whip it out.

The Walkstool chairs are not cheap compared to many other 3 legged version but they will last forever and give great service because of the high quality material used to make them. The only bitch I have is if you pull a tad to hard on the telescopic legs they can miss there locking hole that the buttons expand into allowing them to be pulled out. Not a big deal you just depress the two buttons and slide them back in but it is a PITA at times. The rubber feet on each leg is heavy duty and robust so your not going to be wearing them out in a hurry as they too are thick quality material.

Overall this chair is the best I have had and I dare say well and truly over engineered but that I like because the cost is well worth the quality of this chair.

I hope this helps you a little if your after a quality 3 legged chair and if you search ebay you will pick them up cheap as that is where I got mine from.

Ricky

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:51 am

The Coghlans Australian distributor is in Melbourne and Bronzemoon in Cairns sell Coghlans camping gear, with free shipping.

I've just ordered another Coghlans Sierra Saw from Bronzemoon with the unbreakable handle, after the handle broke ... which was totally my fault forgetting that the Sierra Saw is not a machete. Having the amazing Sierra Saw saw for the past 25 years and with the blade still as sharp as the day I got it, I had to replace it ... I also got a machete to do the real machete type stuff.

The 2012 Coghlans Catalogue is available on line and the Tripod Camping Stool #9785 is on page 61 ... http://issuu.com/coghlans

If you are put off by the Australian price compared to the US price for Coghlans gear ... where ever I tried to order the Sierra Saw in the US, including Amazon, nearly all places will not ship to Australia or want $50+ extra, for the privilege of doing so.

I hope this helps.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

footloose

Postby footloose » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Thank you for the replies.
I like the look and sound of the Walkstool, I'm happy to spend the extra dollars to get a good product that will not dump me on my @rse when I sit on it.
I'll take the time to look over the others before I spend my hard earned.

I'm familiar with the Coghlans gear but I've never been impressed with the quality, I've always thought of them as the camping equivalent of the $2 shop.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:11 pm

You can get this one from Kathmandu stores.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:36 pm

That one is one that will fail quicker. Friends of mine have had similar stools. The stitching lines across the corners of the seat? Eventually it will tear along these, IME. After a couple of years of use. The Coghlan's stool does not have these stitching lines - it's all one piece of fabric. I've used it lots, for over 10 years - still going.

The Coghlan's Tripod Stool is more expensive, but hey, if its' going to last 5-10 times as long which one costs you more? And it has alloy legs, not steel. Makes a noticeable difference in weight. I don't regard Coghlan's gear as $2 shop gear, certainly not their stool.

Just 'buyer beware' :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi

I am considering an Exped Chair Kit assuming it will work with my Synmat UL 7S of course. Anyone tried these or similar?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwPdsHA21o&hd=1[/youtube]

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:43 pm

Aushiker wrote: an Exped Chair Kit assuming it will work with my Synmat UL 7S

Nice one :D . Now if only they'd put legs on it :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:Anyone tried these or similar?
Yes, it's a copy of a Thermarest chair. Better than nothing, but still effectively sitting on the ground and not that comfortable.

Also of interest, the Walkstool, and the Alite Monarch,
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:22 pm

RonK wrote: Alite Monarch,
I have seen reviews on the Alite and the weight is not much more than the Exped so in the ball park.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:29 pm

I made a visit to the local camping shop the other day in search of a green tarpaulin, and a candle lantern.
They couldnt help me with either but I did notice that they had some fold up three legged stools.
I was all excited for a mo thinking I was going to make my first furniture purchase since coming
back to Aus. when I noticed that both of their two brands had a 75kg weight limit.
Been a few years now since I saw that weight so I resisted the temptation. :(
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Walkstool for you then :wink:

A couple of mates of mine who weigh well over 75kgs have been using the Walkstool for some time now and love it.

One improvement however is to replace the bungs for the seat fabric in the top of the legs. They will eventually work loose and pull out on you (not so nice). As a replacement use old-school bar-end plugs. 8)

Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:55 pm

I think my next camping stool isn't a stool but a trike. Somehow I just know it...
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:21 am

Sorry a bit OT.

My brother tried it that way on his tour of Tassie last year. His velomobile trike was his camp-bed and 'tent' :o .

Just doesn't do it for me :|
Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:47 am

A stool was the only thing i missed on my last tour but of course i managed without one. Are you guys all seriously carrying a camping stool on your bike journeys or are you the type of people who put your bike on the back of the car?

How long are these tours that you take your bike on?

So which is the best value stool of all that are shown and how much does it weigh?

What i'd really like to figure out, is how to rig up one up from sticks and stuff you find on the way. I thought of this on my last trip but never got around to trying to put one together. I guess i wasn't desperate enough.

I went on a 10 day hike once with a bunch of other people. One of the women had a thermarest chair as pictured above. She used it only once. I couldn't say why. I don't think there was anything wrong with it but i guess it just wasn't that good.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:36 am

Meditator wrote:A stool was the only thing i missed on my last tour but of course i managed without one. Are you guys all seriously carrying a camping stool on your bike journeys or are you the type of people who put your bike on the back of the car?

From the time I leave home until I return I ride and haul a trailer on all tours and part of that hauling is my trusty Walkstool.

How long are these tours that you take your bike on?

Any thing from over two years to one week.

So which is the best value stool of all that are shown and how much does it weigh?

I have a Walkstool and there tough but if your a pencil the cheap versions should be fine. My 55cm Walkstoll weights 800g.

What i'd really like to figure out, is how to rig up one up from sticks and stuff you find on the way. I thought of this on my last trip but never got around to trying to put one together. I guess i wasn't desperate enough.

Make a seat that resembles a three legged version then just find the sticks to shove in the corner pockets and lace the sticks together that way your only carrying the canvas part.

I went on a 10 day hike once with a bunch of other people. One of the women had a thermarest chair as pictured above. She used it only once. I couldn't say why. I don't think there was anything wrong with it but i guess it just wasn't that good.

That thermarest one I too wouldn't be using it as a seat it's not practical in my opinion and by no means would be comfy.

Ricky

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I think my next camping stool isn't a stool but a trike. Somehow I just know it...
One of the nice things about a trike is you take the comfy lounge chair with you.
We really enjoyed that fact on our tours. One thing was if you were needing a rest on a big hill, just pull over, apply the brake, sit back and relaaax. :)
As to il padrone's brother camping in the Rotovelo. Not for this little black duck. I think that would be most uncomfortable. I'd take a bivvy at the very least. A wise couple who had just completed a major tour round Oz told us not to skimp on the sleeping gear. Get a good mat and sleeping bag and a big enough tent. Hang the weight within reason. If you can't sleep well you won't enjoy the tour.

John

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for that response John. Its useful. I still don't know though if i could afford to carry an extra kilo but certainly teh idea of making the soft part and filling its corners up with sticks is very good and will be lighter and cheaper.

But i am reminded also of when i was thinking of this originally. YOu don't even need a canvas seat unless you want to make one in some nice lightweight material. You probably just need a triangle of fabric with pockets to hold the sticks in place. One for hte top and one for the bottom - or maybe rope would do it. I really should try this out.

for the seat, you can just stuff the space with all your soft furnishing stuffed into your tent bag.

So maybe all you really need to make a seat whilst on the road is some type of suitable string or chord. And army guy gave me some very strong stuff to try my idea out with but i didn't get around to it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:56 pm

Campstool for the cheapskate...... or the weight-weenies :P

Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Meditator wrote:A stool was the only thing i missed on my last tour but of course i managed without one. Are you guys all seriously carrying a camping stool on your bike journeys or are you the type of people who put your bike on the back of the car?
Please don't insult me! :o Unsupported, self-sufficient, always. We do use the trains to get ourselves out into the country where the best touring can be found (still a viable option in Victoria).

The stool slips easily inside the rack-top Ortlieb roll-top bag, along with the tent, groundsheet and plastic peg-hammer. I'd guess the stool (aluminium legs) weighs maybe 500-600g.
Meditator wrote:How long are these tours that you take your bike on?
From overnight to 2 months+. Daily distances of 50kms to 110kms. Being able to sit on some form of seat at camp is quite a valuable thing.
Meditator wrote:What i'd really like to figure out, is how to rig up one up from sticks and stuff you find on the way. I thought of this on my last trip but never got around to trying to put one together. I guess i wasn't desperate enough.
I'd suggest not. The loadings on the legs, and particularly any cross-point, are just going to be beyond any jerry-built stick-stool. :| Last thing I'd like to see is a broken stick going up your back orifice :cry:
Mandatory helmet law?

TCAT

Postby TCAT » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:08 pm

For anyone interested in buying a stool. I just purchased one that looks exactly the same as the blue one shown by il padrone above. However mine was marketed by DMH. It cost $11.00 from a camping store in Brisbane and weighs 460 grams.
I have not used it in the field yet so can't say how good it is but it was comfortable enough to use as I worked on some electrical equipment on the ground.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Another camping stool option ... multiuse so adds value right? :)

That's where the Bog in a Bag comes in. Similar to other backpacking stools, Bog in a Bag uses folding legs to pack down into compact, portable form – 25.5 inches long x 5 inches in diameter (65 x 13 cm). Unlike a regular backpacking stool, Bog in a Bag has a hole from which you hang your potty bag. Then, you sit down and treat it like any toilet. The compatible plastic bag has absorbent crystals that turn even the sloppiest mess into a neat, carry-out package.
More at Gizmag. Oh it weighs 1.2 kg so not a lightweight by any means.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:04 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I think my next camping stool isn't a stool but a trike. Somehow I just know it...
Yep it is and a very comfy camping stool at that. Little bit on the heavy side over 20kg tho :lol:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810