Road User or Abuser?

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Road User or Abuser?

Postby Oxford » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:26 pm

Stumbled on this looking at something else cycling related. Thought the video was quite good.

http://www.facebook.com/roaduserorabuser

The quizzes aren't too bad either. Most members here would get them 100%, I reckon most average drivers would not come close.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 pm

BNA

Re: Road User or Abuser?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Nice work, Victorian government! 8)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Oxford » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I have to say I've always held most of the work the Vic's do on road safety in high regard. though much of it does not actually make the drivers better, it does go some way towards improving things, particularly when I compare it to the sitting with thumbs up rectums approach the Qld government takes.

I will however reserve my praise for Vic drivers. I recently sold my wife's car to my mother, Qld rego'd car going to Vic, we are leaving the Qld rego run its course while she sorts out registration in Vic. now my mother did not change her driving behavior at all, however she has noted a distinct increase in aggressive behavior towards her when driving the car with Qld plates. something I also noticed last time I was in Vic on holidays.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby rkelsen » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Is it available outside of Facebook?

For us tinfoil hat wearers who refuse to sign up.
rkelsen

Postby Nobody » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 pm

rkelsen wrote:Is it available outside of Facebook?

For us tinfoil hat wearers who refuse to sign up.
Me too. I'll leave it to the sub-30s who obviously care less than me about privacy etc. With a member name like mine, I suppose this comes as no surprise. :)
Nobody

VicRoads Facebook Campaign

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 am

I got an email from a PR company representing VicRoads in their new campaign which they are promoting as a point for dialogue between road users.

The "Road User or Abuser" campaign uses Facebook and on the one side is an initiative that has potential (I hope it would be fair and balanced), on the otherside has enormous potential to draw in the tabloid style culture and comments, and possible be even be used to satisfy political agenda's.

https://www.facebook.com/roaduserorabuser
Last edited by AUbicycles on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Notified in my new thread that this topic already existed so have merged topics... and my post doesn't make as much sense :)
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VicRoads Facebook Campaign

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am

WestcoastPete

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Interesting post...

I must admit I thought this was an elitist cyclist type comment :? ...
Oxford wrote:The quizzes aren't too bad either. Most members here would get them 100%, I reckon most average drivers would not come close.

But then that comment actually made me do the quiz :roll: ..and I reckon you're bang on. Most questions were pretty straight forward but there are a couple that I doubt people who don't ride much in traffic would get 8) .

Cheers,
Dave
Ozkaban

Postby Oxford » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:52 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Interesting post...

I must admit I thought this was an elitist cyclist type comment :? ...
Oxford wrote:The quizzes aren't too bad either. Most members here would get them 100%, I reckon most average drivers would not come close.

But then that comment actually made me do the quiz :roll: ..and I reckon you're bang on. Most questions were pretty straight forward but there are a couple that I doubt people who don't ride much in traffic would get 8) .

Cheers,
Dave

My comment was based purely on my observations that many/most members here know more than the basics of road rules, particularly as vulnerable road users amongst motorised road users. Most motorised road users because of their insular use of the road network in a motor vehicle are completely ignorant of other road user requirements for safety.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy