Coot-tha Look-a-like on the Sunshine Coast

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a Coot-tha like hill around Caloundra I can train on??

9.5% ish incline for about 2.5km's!
Cheers,
Kev

ozdavo

Re: Coot-tha Look-a-like on the Sunshine Coast

Postby ozdavo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Awesome!!!

Thanks a million!
Cheers,
Kev

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

fire off an email to the Sunshine Coast Cycling Club. They are a good bunch of people.
http://sunshinecoastcycling.com.au/site/

There's a few routes up from Palmwoods/Woombye onto the range. Hunchy Rd and Blackall Range Rd from memory. But run it past some locals first as there's been a lot of dev't and a lot of hot headed drivers move into the boondocks.
Buderim is probably too busy these days.
The other thing is to find a shorter route closer to Caloundra and do repeats, at a higher intensity.
Even doing efforts in higher gears on the flats can improve your strength and endurance for hills.
Do some reverse squats, especially one legged even if to 90 degrees knee bend.
And if this is training for Coot-tha Challenge, strip the fat off man. It'll make the biggest difference if you already have base fitness.

gooldin

Postby gooldin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Ooooohhh the fat!!! :oops:

I was home in Ireland for 5 weeks over christmas, to come bach here 6 kg's heavier :oops: :oops:

I've been a bit lazy on the cycle front....so i've only been on it since last week riding to work!

I was hoping to find a hill on the way to work....caloundra to kawana waters!

Strava is great....Looks like that Westaway road is a good one! 13.7% for .7km! And the little mountain climb - 3.7% for 1.3km!
Cheers,
Kev

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:52 pm

I would have thought a ride over Buderim would be pretty close, and just far enough from Caloundra to warm up the legs. You could do a loop which combines any of Mooloolabah Road, Jones Road, Ballinger Road, Crosby Hill Road or Mons Road.

There are also some steep grades over Keil Mountain between Bli Bli and Palmwoods.

For a longer ride, do a loop though Palmwoods, Eudlo and Mooloolah, or from Palmwoods continue up the range to Montville, probably the easiest route up the range.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 pm

It's only short but you could do sprints up the start of Ilkley Rd (the highway end) my car has trouble reaching the top at 40. I can't believe how many cyclists ride that road, hilly and windy and narrow. scary.

Last time I was ther they were doing up the razor back is it wide enough to get a bike up with out killing your self? Is It palmwoods-montville road that used to go through a cow padock? depending on how the road looks you could give it a shot. Honestly i'm not sure of the lenghts or gradients of these roads.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeh Crosby Hill Rd Buderim certainly tickled the legs when I came across it one day exploring, 1.7km (AT) 10%, gets busy though.
Only driven up Razorback Rd at Montville but the name certainly suited the gradient, that would hurt immensely.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:02 pm

I haven't done Crosby Hill Rd but Jones Rd on the north of Buderim is seriously steep, i've been up it quite a few times and really struggle even with 39-32 gear. Signposted as 12 or 14% but could be more.

I can say from personal experience that Razorback is not just painful, it's torture. Reasonable surface for a rural road though, and it even has a half decent shoulder on it. I'm going to be having another crack at it soonish.

Has anyone here ridden the road going up past Bald Knob?
EDIT: Landsborough Maleny Rd
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

duds2u

Postby duds2u » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Has anyone here ridden the road going up past Bald Knob?
EDIT: Landsborough Maleny Rd
Hi Locky, yes we've done it a couple of times when the bunch has driven to Palmwoods and done the Montville, Maleny, Palmwoods ride. We'll be doing Razorback again as soon as it cools down a bit. Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Duds

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I found a ripper this morning while my better half was dragging me along to see a prize home, Ballinger Road at Buderim (already been mentioned above). 1.1k at 'you have to be kidding' percent. If i can wake up early enough tomorrow morning i'll pop down there and see how i go.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:34 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I found a ripper this morning while my better half was dragging me along to see a prize home, Ballinger Road at Buderim (already been mentioned above). 1.1k at 'you have to be kidding' percent. If i can wake up early enough tomorrow morning i'll pop down there and see how i go.
Yes, know it well - used to cycle down and back to play cricket at Ballinger Park years ago when I lived on King Street.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...