Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

For Roadies

Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby filthpig » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right forum/subgroup to post in.

I ended up with an old late 90s/early 00s giant TCR 0 from a swap deal. It has been festidiously maintained (I knew the owner before I was interested in the bike) but I have no idea how many ks it has clocked, but it was involved in serious riding. BUT, everything works, shifts through every gear, shifting is smooth etc. The last shop I had it serviced said that it was "tight" or "well held together" or something along those lines.

Now the problem is, I find it relatively uncomfortable to ride, so was wondering whether to just let go of it, and get onto something like a flat-bar. At this stage I only need to ride 5ks a day, with a large pack, so a dropbar isn't necessary or really desired.

My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?

I am mainly worried about the replacement cost of some of the dura-ace parts, if they do fail.
filthpig
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm

by BNA » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 pm

BNA
 

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby lethoso » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:55 pm

filthpig wrote:My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?


Eh, it's a decade old, it's not going to lose much more value. That said, if the fit's bad, move it on.
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby trek52 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:35 am

do some research and get you position right. They were a good bike that really wont need much maintance. A decent flat bar will cost inexcess of 1k and wont be as good as the old giant.
trek52
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby filthpig » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:17 am

lethoso wrote:
filthpig wrote:My brother suggested some simple mods, like a new seat, riser and tyres to give it a more comfortable ride. I am considering this as well as to save money, however, I am really not sure whether I should sell it while it still has some value, or run it into the ground?


Eh, it's a decade old, it's not going to lose much more value. That said, if the fit's bad, move it on.


Agree, it won't lose much value if nothing dies.. but for example, my LBS mentioned that if the Dura-ace shifters die, it will be quite costly to replace.

trek52 wrote:do some research and get you position right. They were a good bike that really wont need much maintance. A decent flat bar will cost inexcess of 1k and wont be as good as the old giant.


Any idea, how long should I expect out of the existing Dura-ace componentry if it is well maintained?
filthpig
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby lethoso » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:43 pm

filthpig wrote:Any idea, how long should I expect out of the existing Dura-ace componentry if it is well maintained?


at 5k a day pretty much forever. As the bike shop mentioned though, the shifters might pack it in, no predicting that really. If that happens, you can probably find some newish 9 speed tiagra ones cheap though.
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: Keep or sell an old giant TCR 0?

Postby filthpig » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:32 pm

Any idea what it may be worth?

Seat post, stem and front rim aren't stock, the rest is.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
filthpig
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:45 pm


Return to Road Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers