Suspicious People and Bikes

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Suspicious People and Bikes

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:33 am

This is more for discussion and relevant for this section.

At the train station the other week a person walked past with a nice looking Wilier CF bike and got on the train. The person didn't look like he fit well with the bike e.g. the bike had cleats, the person had normal sneakers and no bag (for shoes) plus other observations where the person just didn't fit in. I noted down a description of the guy and what I could remember of the bike plus details of the train he boarded - on the off chance that there is a report of stolen Wilier. I have done a google search though nothing comes up for 2012.

I have to point out that just because it looked out of place, doesn't mean that it wasn't however it did get me thinking about firstly what do people do if they have a feeling that a bike is stolen and could this forum document 'observations' without false accusations or without delving into other peoples privacy, while on the otherhand actually being of value should it infact turn out to be stolen... and thus be able to make the contact to provide information to the lawful owner and authorities to assist in tracking down a thief.

Of the top of my head I wonder if a thread something like this would be sufficient:

White Red Blue Wilier in Sydney (suburb) in January 2012

This refrains from details that are specifical about the actual model, let alone location and day. Instead uses broad information with bike colours, the brand, the rough area and a rough time.

If, for example, there was a thread for observations which contained simply this kind of broad information:
- Do you feel that it provides enough information for an owner of a bike to spot it? (BNA does well in google searches)
- Do you feel that it is minimal enough to protect the identity (thus doesn't falsely accuse a person) who was rightfully in possession of the bike?
Cycling is in my BNA

PawPaw

Re: Suspicious People and Bikes

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 am

More and more, I am pulling my phone out to video or snap suspicious or bad behavior.
Some guys were hooning in a suburban street a few days ago, and stopped when I obviously started filming them.
For your suspicious dude, I'd have actually made it obvious I was taking his picture, with full on face shot and bike shot. If I was on the train, I'd ask him a few questions about its performance.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 am

What if he was taking his bike to/from a service? I walk my bike a decent distance to and from my repair shop every few months.

This is done in work clothing, for me thats a suit, but could be any clothes depending on where you work. So I see no real reason to get too alarmed.

Guy could of been picking the bike up for a mate, sometimes it could be a wife picking up her husbands bike...

JM

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:55 am

Sydguy wrote:What if he was taking his bike to/from a service? I walk my bike a decent distance to and from my repair shop every few months.
you are quite right, but I'd be kind of relieved to know others care about bikes getting flogged; so wouldn't be offended at all.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:58 pm

I wouldn't feel comfortable with others photographing or filming me. Reason being, I don't know how they will use the footage and in this context I could be potentially portrayed badly and am left to defend myself. For this reason, unless activity is truely sspicious, like some carrying a partially locked up frame or hoons, this is not an approach I would take.

In my case, the person walked past and got on a train I didn't bord.

In the past (OS) I have stopped people moving (one wheel) locked bikes and questioned them. When they say it is theirs and they have lost their key, it is a possibility so can't do much more.
Cycling is in my BNA

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:27 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable with others photographing or filming me. Reason being, I don't know how they will use the footage and in this context I could be potentially portrayed badly and am left to defend myself.
However if on public property you cannot stop someone from taking an image that may have you in it.

zero

Postby zero » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Top of the line motorcycles and bicycles really can be owned by just about anyone with a job.
I also ride my teschner occasionally in the wrong shoes.

I wouldn't touch it personally - you don't really want a list of near and actual locations of valuable bikes, as thieves can read.

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 am

A bike isn't really unique, unless of course you are talking about a custom model , with a few million bikes getting sold in Australia each year , there is a metric shitload of bikes that all look the same "trek madone , black red and white spotted on high st" i can walk into my local bike shop and see 4 bikes that match that discription sitting on the shop floor
zero wrote:
I wouldn't touch it personally - you don't really want a list of near and actual locations of valuable bikes, as thieves can read.
A theif already know's where to go to get a high number of top end gear , you don't target the slums/gheto as all you'll get is huffy