On hi-vis clothing: truck drivers and blind spots

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Good article on how hi-vis clothing does bugger-all when you're in a truckie's blind spot.

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/secure/w ... -high-vis/
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

waramatt

Re: On hi-vis clothing: truck drivers and blind spots

Postby waramatt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Agreed. I will stick with the hi-vis gear but more importantly give all trucks a wide berth and treat them with respect. I know who's going to come off second best!

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Well said,
When your driving a truck you just don't have the visibility you need, you basically drive by mirrors. There is a lot of blind areas on the left and right side, one glance away when turning can spell disaster, for anyone caught in that blind area, give a wide berth to a truck and the truck will return the favour.
As an owner of two 5 tonne rigids, one 40 tonne semi and 5 bicycles a cop a lot of impatience no matter what, bike or truck your not going fast enough for em.
One of the most visible things a cyclist can wear (apart from bright clothing) is white socks as these are moving up and down in the distance drawing attention.

Geoff
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:14 pm

rokwiz wrote:
One of the most visible things a cyclist can wear (apart from bright clothing) is white socks as these are moving up and down in the distance drawing attention.

Geoff
Thanks for the tip Geoff. I have some yellow socks but might invest in a few white pairs too :D

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm

rokwiz wrote:Well said,
When your driving a truck you just don't have the visibility you need, you basically drive by mirrors. There is a lot of blind areas on the left and right side, one glance away when turning can spell disaster, for anyone caught in that blind area, give a wide berth to a truck and the truck will return the favour.
As an owner of two 5 tonne rigids, one 40 tonne semi and 5 bicycles a cop a lot of impatience no matter what, bike or truck your not going fast enough for em.

Geoff
Given your comment about the number of blinds spots around a truck, it would be interesting to hear your view on how effective the laser bike lane projector would be as an aid to a heavy goods vehicle driver's awareness of a cyclist's proximity. Should we all run out and buy one?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Ronk,
I like it, what a great invention, truckers should always be aware of cyclist anyway but anything that improves safety is a boon. good one
I'll buy one each for my bikes[
Geoff/i]
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:22 pm

OK, Geoff. But I ride to work in my work clothing (no change facilities, showers or lockers) and carry two Ortlieb rear panniers. These days I have been running head/tail lights day and night and the Ortliebs have really bright reflective patches. From behind you won't see my socks (not white anyway) and I really don't want to wear hi-viz stuff as I like to keep as cool as I can to reduce the sweat factor.

I really do not have any concerns with truck drivers - they always seem to be the most considerate on the roads and the first to move out and change lanes to give me room.

Does this sound a correct strategy?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Il Padrone

You must have either:

1. No sweat problem
2. A 'pedal slowly' approach
3. Understanding work colleagues or
4. Work alone

I don't know how I'd cope with lack of shower facilities. Pedal slowly I suppose..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

H G Wells

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:33 pm

OT but....

1. Pedal a bit slowly (hard to do)
2. Try to ease up in the last 2kms
3. Dress cool as I can stand - I'll soon warm up
4. Sparrow bath and deodorant at work
5. Sweat takes 12-24 hrs to breed the microbes that give you BO. By then I'm home and it's just my wife and kids that might have to put up with it :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm

waramatt wrote:Il Padrone

You must have either:

1. No sweat problem
2. A 'pedal slowly' approach
3. Understanding work colleagues or
4. Work alone

I don't know how I'd cope with lack of shower facilities. Pedal slowly I suppose..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Just eat plenty garlic - nobody will notice if you're a bit sweaty.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rokwiz

Postby rokwiz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:38 am

il padrone,
I reckon you couldn't go wrong with a couple Hi Vis ankle straps and a Hi Vis sach. You wouldn't get to hot in them.
Never bothered me as I work outdoors when I'm on my bike. A bit of sweats' the least of my worries when your covered in dirt and Sandstone dust, blows off when you ride home anyway.Girls dig a bit of sweat on a tradie, so I've been told !
Geoff