Oh the pain, The PAIN!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
thomashouseman

Oh the pain, The PAIN!

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 am

New bike, first ride.
Stopped twice to lower the seat and once to move it a cm back. Felt much better after that.
However, after 20 years riding mainly on the hoods with suicide levers for braking, I've moved to 105 levers on the drops only.
Today after yesterday's 25km's, my wrist/arm is killing me! Had to drive in to work instead of driving (+ it was raining).
It feels like all the muscles / tendons that go from near the big knobbly bone in the wrist up the arm and halfway to the elbow are sore to the touch and to use and if I mimic the motions to move my bottom two fingers like I would when engaging the brakes it hurts!!

So apart from Voltaren, is all I need a cup of cement and rest/ice or should I look to some sort of more expert bike fit? My current fit does feel quite good (after yesterday's minor adjustments) and after 30+years of riding I've gotten pretty good at working out what feels right for me or not....

I suspect it's just the new riding/braking position but any hints/suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

T.

toolonglegs

Re: Oh the pain, The PAIN!

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:23 am

Raise you bars a lot till you condition yourself a bit...then slowly drop them back down a bit.
If you have any lower back issues or flexibility problems try to iron them out as well...your core strength will increase by just riding but can be helped along with stretching and core work.
All this is under the premise that your fit is reasonable.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:37 am

Why are you riding in the drops?

Use the hoods and the flat of bars. I generally only use the drops to get down out of the wind or to sprint.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:46 am

I'm not, sorry, I was a bit unclear. I meant I'm now holding my hands on /around the 105 brake handles and use my fingers to brake/change gears as most riders do.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 am

............um............... BIKE FIT, get one
when do we stop for coffee???

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:15 pm

BarryTas wrote:............um............... BIKE FIT, get one
Agreed.
I have only recently switched from a flat bar to a drop bar, have done about 300km's on the new one. When I bought it they did a quick fit... Seat, bars, reach from saddle to bars, etc... And I have never had any issues at all.

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:38 am

Have a proper bike fit done. Otherwise look at getting an adjustable stem which you can raise up higher and then lower as you get used to cycling and develop graeter flexibility and strength.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:12 pm

if you post up a photo of your bike that might help diagnose the cause if it's something obvious.

thenewguy

Postby thenewguy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 pm

I'd be inclined to put it down to a different riding position that will take some time to get used to.

I had been riding a MTB on the road for a bit over a year, and in that time i did some 100km rides, and i always felt like i had a pretty quick recovery time. I borrowed a GT road bike for a couple of weeks, which admittedly was a little small for me, but none the less, there was no way i could put in anywhere near the effort that i was capable of on my bike.

I think without even realising you really adapt to the equipment / setup that you have and even if it's a change for the better it will always take some time until you are able to make the most of it.
Last edited by thenewguy on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Careful with the voltaren and such ointments, often people use them when really a cold pack is what they need.

If there is damage done, often ice is the best remedy. Something like voltaren will only cause further inflamation and swelling.

JM

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:02 pm

It's been all good this week. The 4th adjustment of the seat lower and a teeny bit further back did it. No pain now, just nice riding. Although I haven't done more than 20km'a in one ride yet. Thanks all for the assistance though. If any pains pop up again, I'll get a bike fit done.

T.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:48 am

Gotta be happy with that Thomas! :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:44 pm

thomashouseman wrote:It's been all good this week. The 4th adjustment of the seat lower and a teeny bit further back did it. No pain now, just nice riding. Although I haven't done more than 20km'a in one ride yet. Thanks all for the assistance though. If any pains pop up again, I'll get a bike fit done.

T.
Playing with saddle height for an arm/wrist/hands issue is a kludge. Sounds to me like bar height/reach is wrong. Get a fit, or get someone who has a clue to have a quick look at your position on the bike.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Sydguy wrote:Something like voltaren will only cause further inflamation and swelling.
Really? Voltaren is an anti-inflamatory, so how will it cause more?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:14 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I suspect it's just the new riding/braking position but any hints/suggestions welcome!
If as you say the bike fit is good i.e not to long and stretched out and loading up your wrists, then you could try rotating the bars upward to acheive a more natural wrist angle when gripping the hoods, or perhaps raising the levers higher on the bend.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...