The Oaks Firetrail today...

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:10 pm

Anyone head up to give it a crack? We got punted from the train at Glenbrook as the Nazi guard on Shityrail went berserk, who puts 4 carriages on at that time of day (6:53am), 2 bikes to a carriage was going to be interesting for the 40 odd blokes and girls there!! Otherwise track was alot of fun!!!!

guyc

Re: The Oaks Firetrail today...

Postby guyc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Is that a real rule? 2 bikes per carriage?

meridaman

Postby meridaman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Not really sure, the guard definitely needed to get laid tho!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:33 pm

There's a thread about this on nobmob.com as well. The conclusion is the guard has exceeded his authority.

I'd suggest a letter to the local Blue Mountains municipal council telling them if it continues it will cost their local businesses reduced visitation and turnover, hurting the local economy, and encourage them to write to CityRail complaining about the guard's behaviour as this happens a bit.

I'd then complain to CityRail.

Last time we did it on the Anzac Day public holiday there were hundreds of bikers on the platform ... and the toilets were shut. :roll:

Some nice old pensioner got onto the intercom to CityRail and was was giving them both barrels for their rudeness and lack of consideration for their customers. :lol: But we were all allowed to board, bikes and all.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Not a suckyrail bloke but a rail bloke nonetheless...
Suckyrail website wrote:Please ensure your bike does not block doors and passageways.
This is a public safety requirement, quite likely imposed by the state regulator as it is in Vic. On our trains, the train crew IS the arbiter of what is or is not risky when it comes to bikes on trains. Sucks, but that's how it is. Arcing up at the poor bugger doing their job will not help.

Knowing all the connies who work my line, it's never a problem for me. :wink: If it's crowded, I always stand by my bike so it can be quickly thrown out the door in case the muck hits the fan.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Can't imagine how it's any more of a safety issue than mothers with baby strollers. Let's imagine
how hard it would be for mothers+babies to get out of the carriage in an emergency if there
were (say) 5 or 6 strollers in one carriage. Yet there is no limit on that !

FWIW, I last did the trip at the end of November, and there were 3 of us in each doorway of 2 carriages - until
another cyclist boarded along the way, making it 4 in one doorway. There was no drama with people
getting in and out around us at each station. A mother+baby+grandmother with a stroller even managed to get in and
out around us.

Anyone who's got a problem with fit and healthy cyclists filling the doorways should think about how
useful it would be to have fit able-bodied people around to help should an emergency arise. At the very least,
they can be expected to get their bikes out of the way quick smart - and at best should be able to help
others disembark. On other hand, mum with stroller is going to be somewhat a hindrance and little help to others.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I have seen a fight between mountains drunk bogan heading home up the hill and mtb'er because bike was blocking door between carriage.
We used to do Anderson's / Murphy's Oaks a lot with all the related side tracks... More than 5 years since I last did it, but in the end got sick of all the rubbish and started riding up the road if doing the Anderson's loop or if only the oaks we would ride it in reverse first. It's only a 50 minute ride down after all!.
Ok many are not capable of riding up first.... So you would think that they would have sorted it out after 10 or more years!.
I am not so sure mtb'ers bring that much money in though... Most arrive in car, park at station, train up, straight onto the track and back to car... Maybe the chippie after... That's about it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:02 am

I know what you're saying Wombat, I'm not supporting stupid rules, just trying to explain them in the hope of gaining some understanding for a colleague.

Imagine the self righteous outcry if mums and bubs were regulated. Easier to pick on an unprotected minority who don't pay rego...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Imagine the self righteous outcry if mums and bubs were regulated. Easier to pick on an unprotected minority who don't pay rego...
You've nailed it right there Sean.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 pm

You obviously haven't been on the train in question... It can get pretty packed with bikes. But then it also is often packed with bikes on a Sat or Sun morning on weekends so surely finding a solution wouldn't be that hard!.
Surprised some coach company hasn't set up a shuttle run with bike trailer on the weekends to the two stations in question.