Raleigh Appreciation Society

pentlandexile

Re: Raleigh Appreciation Society

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks for the info, both of you. Should have checked Sheldon myself. I think this will make a great ride once it's fixed up.

Ben
Long day's journey into alt-bars

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Very nice Ben. The rest, after you get the seized stuff undone, will look relatively easy. Guys here will have a wealth of experience when it comes to bringing back the paintwork without damaging it.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

jbchybridrider

Postby jbchybridrider » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:11 am

Found this Ti Raleigh piece on flebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALEIGH-XL-vint ... 4cfea5d274

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 am

That would be big enough to hide my MAT (Middle Age Tummy). :) Would certainly complete the look on a TI.

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 am

descente have made a remake of the retro one, looks quite good too.

rustybike

Postby rustybike » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

I want to find /purchase the 2 prong(pin) freewheel single speed remover. It is for the Raleigh Wayfarer and must not be any wider in diametre than 40 mm. Any help would be appreciated.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41 pm

OD = 26mm (rounded)
ID = 19.5mm
Depth = 16mm
Lug (prong) width = 7mm
Wall thickness = 3.5mm

PM me if suitable. If so, prolly on loan, no tight time frame. Postage will be minimal. Being SunTour... may not be suitable.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:22 pm

nice enough Low kms. I'd be onto it, but for a 6 footer + by the looks... :(

vaeske

Postby vaeske » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:34 pm

nice enough one...what size do you need frailer?

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:46 am

Am looking at it for my son, who is 6-summin. Nice and close too. We'll see.... :wink:

commando

Postby commando » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 am

My 1975 Superbe

Bought new by my granddad in England. He was a Canadian diplomat and this bike has followed him from England to China, India, various South Pacific islands, Barbados and finally back to Ottawa, Canada. It served as his main mode of personal transport in all those places. He gave it to me when I moved to Toronto and I used it as my main ride until I moved to Adelaide in 2004. Love those Sturmey Archer AW 3-speeds for city riding! I finally brought it over here a few years ago and use it regularly. Replaced the Sturmey Archer Dynohub with a spool as the SA axle got damaged in transport from Canada. Front fender was also damaged so I currently ride without it until I find a good replacement.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Considering its history, looks in good shape. Classic street cruiser. 8)

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:32 pm

commando wrote:My 1975 Superbe

Bought new by my granddad in England. He was a Canadian diplomat and this bike has followed him from England to China, India, various South Pacific islands, Barbados and finally back to Ottawa, Canada. It served as his main mode of personal transport in all those places. He gave it to me when I moved to Toronto and I used it as my main ride until I moved to Adelaide in 2004. Love those Sturmey Archer AW 3-speeds for city riding! I finally brought it over here a few years ago and use it regularly. Replaced the Sturmey Archer Dynohub with a spool as the SA axle got damaged in transport from Canada. Front fender was also damaged so I currently ride without it until I find a good replacement.
That is an amazing history, do you have any pics of your grandad riding it in exotic locales?

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:40 pm

And also, update on that Competition frame, I had to hand it over to Joe Cosgrove who's a framebuilder and painter here in Brisbane to get the seized stuff off. He's managed it and I'm picking it up tomorrow. So the frame lives again.

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

Hi there! New to this and blog/posting, but I thought I'd join after restoring my Raleigh Competition in Team Raleigh Ti colors! I purchased the bike new in 1983 and it is the same as yours save for the stem/bars are SR. I also updated the brakes and the crankset to Campagnolo. FYI the rear derailleur on mine is the same as yours - Campagnolo Gran Sport is the gruppo, although my crankset is Super Record as are the brakes. Wish I knew how to paste a photo on this blog!

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:00 am

pentlandexile wrote:Here's some pics of my Raleigh TI Competition which I picked up today. I think it's early 80s? An eBay find.

Frame ready for work

Raleigh TI Competition by benatherton71, on Flickr

The frame was advertised by the seller as Reynolds 501. But one of the cable ties attached to the frame was obscuring the sticker. It's really 531. Result. On the minus side, those Campag shifters are stuck on - the mounting screws won't come loose.

Reynolds 531 and Campag shifters by benatherton71, on Flickr

The business end. The custom Raleigh stem is made by Sturmey-Archer. To paraphrase Miles Davis, that sht is hip.

Raleigh stem made by Sturmey by benatherton71, on Flickr

Campagnolo rear derailleur. Seems like quite a basic model. Anyone knows the vintage, please let me know.

Campagnolo rear derailleur by benatherton71, on Flickr

These days, Brooks don't brag about how they once made saddles like this. Brown velour on plastic.

Brooks Vitesse velour saddle by benatherton71, on Flickr

Made In England. 'Nuff said.

Made in England by benatherton71, on Flickr

The downside. This dropout adjuster screw is both seized in AND sheared off. I tried tapping it out but it didn't work, obviously, because it's threaded. I know that now. Any ideas on how to get it out gratefully received.

Seized drop-out adjuster by benatherton71, on Flickr

Ben
Hi there

I have the same bike- I bought it new in 1983!

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Orbiter wrote:Hi there! New to this and blog/posting, but I thought I'd join after restoring my Raleigh Competition in Team Raleigh Ti colors! I purchased the bike new in 1983 and it is the same as yours save for the stem/bars are SR. I also updated the brakes and the crankset to Campagnolo. FYI the rear derailleur on mine is the same as yours - Campagnolo Gran Sport is the gruppo, although my crankset is Super Record as are the brakes. Wish I knew how to paste a photo on this blog!
I'm planning to do upgrade the parts on mine: Super Record derailleurs, Strada cranks, band-on shifters, and upgrade the brakes to Campy as well. Still need to buy headset, BB, and brakes.

How does yours ride?

Would love to see pics: the 'how-to' is here. http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/faq.php#f3r3. I upload my snaps to Flickr and then copy the BB code that gives me and just paste it in.

Ben

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Have created Flickr a/c and have posted pics!See [http://www.flickr.com/photos/78678029@N03/]
The bike rides great!
BTW dropouts are Zeus

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Don't know if you can tell by the pics, but the bike is completely original spec save for the super record chainwheel/crank and brakes.
The wheels are singles (glue on tires) specifically, Mavic Red Label rims with Normandy hubs (with the then high tech sealed bearings). The original brakes were crappy Weinmanns.My first 10 speed was a copy of this particular bike, the Raleigh Europa (same paint job, but no 531db frame). I always wanted the Competition model, but it was $$$ at the time. Anyway I happened to be working in the buying office of Myer Stores in 1984 and asked the sporting goods buyer if he could make a special order....it took a while to get here and cost the equiv of a months wages!Ah, the memories! Used to ride it to Healsville (or Lilydale if I was tired) on Saturday afternoons. Then work/life became busier and I stopped riding regularly.
In 1994 I rewarded myself with a new Bianchi made by the newly coined Reparto Corse.

Cheers

Steve

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Alright here are a few of your pics:

Raleigh2 by Orbiter2012, on Flickr

Raleigh Competition5 by Orbiter2012, on Flickr

Raleigh Competition3 by Orbiter2012, on Flickr

It looks amazing, thanks for posting and giving me some more details.

Particularly interested to learn that the drop-outs are Zeus as I was reading about them just today in the latest issue of Roleur magazine. Their factory closed in the 80s and it's now used as a kind of drop-in centre for local "youths" who can't get a job because of the financial crisis in Europe. Sad story, given that 30 years ago they employed 100+ people. I guess the same goes, with interest, for the English towns that used to have Raleigh plants.

A month's wages ... that's fired me up to do a good resto on mine.

I'd like to get yr opinion on the tubular tyres. Mine comes with with tubular Raleigh rims which are still in OK condition. I'd like to try to use them, if that fails, get some NOS Mavics. How much trouble are tubs compared to clinchers, and what do you find the advantages are, apart from being more period-correct?

Ben

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Raleigh2 by Orbiter2012, on Flickr

What a machine! Very nice. 8)

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for getting the pics on site.
There are absolutely no advantages with tubulars apart from period correctness!
That said, I say it's pretty easy to get on the road again after a puncture in "the olden days"!
You could simply take your "spare" out from under the saddle and depending on the age & temperature of the glue on the rim, put the tire on with maybe an extra dab of glue, inflate and get going.
Also, Ben, your bike has the original bar tape that mine came with. Yes, plastic gold! It was the '80s!

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Ben
You also have the original wheels!

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I can tell you have the original wheels by the red stripe in the center of the hubs - this indicates Normandy - you could probably see "Normandy, made in France" printed on that red stripe.Your hubs also have the plastic ends on the spindle, like mine. The rim profile looks the same as mine, maybe its simply a case of the "Mavic" sticker falling off; unless you have Raleigh stamped on your rims, I'd say they are Mavic.

I replaced the headset with a BBB one, as it was a cheaper solution- the original steel headset wasn't that great but I can see in your pics that you have the original.

Orbiter

Postby Orbiter » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:37 pm

And one more detail!
Your saddle isn't brown velour. It is the original black suede, just worn and faded. I recall in the late '70s/early '80s how riders loved the new technology in saddles!That saddle was made in Italy, for Brooks. Brooks saddles were thought of as uncomfortable and old hat - they took ages (2 months of Dubbin softner) to break in - an absolute pain! And for the first 2 months your nicks would catch on the saddle due to the Dubbin
I'm surprised at how Brooks leather is fashionable again. Maybe they "break in" easier these days with new leather treatment technology, but 30 years ago, it was customary to throw away your old fashion leather Brooks and get a new plastic/leather italian saddle!