Closure of Hutton Street PSP

Aushiker

Closure of Hutton Street PSP

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:21 am

G'day

The following is from a fellow bushwalker who asked the MRD about the closure of the Freeway PSP north of Hutton Street this week. This is his response and the MRD's.

Regards
Andrew
For the cyclists: Information regarding the closure of the bike path north of Hutton St (see email below).

The current detour meanders around the new estate and comes out on Hutton St some 300 m east of the freeway. A second detour (detailed heading south and not signed) is to cross the “coathanger” bridge into the Osborne Park industrial area and follow Hector St West to, and over, Hutton St and taking the first turn left to rejoin the bike path.
Thank you for the below query regarding the PSP along Hutton Street.

Apologies for the delay in responding but Main Roads have only just been made aware of the closure.

It appears that the closure has been put in place with out our knowledge, by the developers of the Princeton Estate. The developers are upgrading the PSP as part of the new housing estate in the area. A closure of this nature should have been approved by Main Roads prior to the implementation to ensure that we could have notified the public and set up appropriate detours.

The PSP will be closed for several months while the upgrade takes place and once completed will be a far superior path then the original path. Main Roads have requested Traffic Management Plans from the developer which will be reviewed and any changes necessary will be made.

If you have any further questions regarding the closure please contact me on the number below.

A/Public Affairs Coordinator
TRAFFIC OPERATIONS CENTRE
MAIN ROADS WA

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:42 am

Slightly off topic, does anyone know where the underpass at the Murdoch station is supposed to open/reopen?, it's been blocked off for months !

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:55 am

Information provided to me from MRWA on the closure of the dual-use path north of Hutton St:
I can advise the following in relation to the unauthorised closure of the bike path near Hutton St:
1) Main Roads gave the developers approval in principle to change the alignment of the path (ie basically rip it up and move it higher up against a retaining wall)
2) This approval was subject to various conditions, ie – there was an approved traffic management/detour plan in place to cater for cyclists and pedestrians
3) These conditions have not been adhered to.
4) While there is some signage, it is not great, and the detour itself not clear or great either.
5) MRWA is liaising with the developer to rectify the signage and ensure an adequate detour is put in place.
6) MRWA is disappointed with the actions of the developer, and will be following up with them about what needs to occur from here on
7) The path is going to be out of use for approx 3 months

mich rolling

Postby mich rolling » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:58 pm

This is going to be tough for the 1-2 thousand riders who might want to ride back from Joondalup to Perth after the big Bike Hike on Sunday. There had better be good signage up or the whinging will go on for weeks.

But then, we are the developers and we don't take s*%t from no-one, including wet-tissue boys in Main Roads. Flog us with a $200 fine for non-notification, who cares, the planners in our back office who had charge of that one designed half a dozen new cul-de-sacs worth a $M in profit for us rather than wasting valuable resources thinking about doing a decent job satisfying pansy legal planning requirements.

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:02 pm

I use that path a lot and although Im dissapointed with the signage. The state of that section of path was disgusting, A tree branch had once collapsed over the path and although was cleaned up quickly the path was still covered in leaves small branches etc. further the path was constantly being affected by tree roots growing under the bitumen and making the path quite bumpy and dangerous.
If main roads ws maintaning that piece of road it did not do a brilliant job either so maybe itll be for the best later on.

We need to Get a detour made from the bridge back to Hutton Street along Hector st as well.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:44 pm

G'day

Map of diversion now available here.

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 am

The PDF indicates:
Symbolic cyclist signs are to be erected to notify that the detour is not for pedestrians only.
it shows that three cyclist signs to be erected - only 1 has been erected
All roads which detours are placed on are new roads and paths. Area is not a heavily vehicular popular area due to the area being a new subdivision.
I would not describe Hutton St as being 'new roads and paths' and is one of the busiest roads in this area and yet we have been diverted along Hutton St due to this closure.

Why can't a work order be placed on this development until the dual-use path is rectified, as clearly, based on the instructions on the PDF document (which also exists on the MainRoads website), the developers are not meeting the conditions of the diversion. It was the developers who caused this issue:
Because Main Roads was not informed about works that have caused the closure of a section of shared path (PSP), cycling and pedestrian access along the eastern side of the Mitchell Freeway, between Hutton Street and Telford Crescent in Stirling, is not possible.
I personally will not be buying in this development, as clearly the developers have no respect for the community if they dig up the shared path without authorisation and then don't follow requirements issued by MainRoads on the diversions. What other short cuts have been made in Princeton Estate?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 am

The developers have put in a temporary path joining the estate with the original bike path at the Hutton St/Freeway end. The diversion signs are still in place, so it is not obvious that this is now available.

The permanent solution (ie the rebuild of the original PSP which was destroyed by the developers) is still several months away :cry:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 am

Copy of e-mail sent out tonight:
Sent: Thursday, 3 July 2008 10:10 PM
Developers of Princeton Estate

Tonight I was involved in an accident in the Princeton Estate.

I was on the detour section from the original dual-use path, into Princeton Estate. An other cyclist was approaching and due to the lack of lights, lack of visibility and usage of a foot-path as part of the detour, resulted in me swerving to avoid a head-on collision with the other cyclist and ended up with me on the ground with the bike next to me.

Fortunately, the injury to myself and the bike was minor, but why should the general public continue to be put at jeopardy for several more months on a development, which based on information on the MainRoad’s web site, was not authorized to remove the PSP in this area.

Please let me know what process I need to complete to claim for damages.

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:12 am

I wouldnt bother about damages as you probably are wasting your time but I agree that the diversion is totally inadeqaute and dangerous especially around where you fell.

I mean do these people care? I don think so

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:33 am

Agree on your comment on damages, but it made me feel a lot better putting this in.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:16 am

E-mail sent late Thursday night, street lights activated the next day, Friday.

Two items linked?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 am

Yep. See? Activism can work!
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:11 pm

Link: I want to ride my bicycle - Princeton Estate
if you would like to see what it is like in this area.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:17 am

It is rapidly approaching 6 months since this section of the dual-use path was destroyed. Should we be organising a 6-month party to recognise the bad performance of the developers of Princeton Estate.

As another point of bad workmanship in this area, the current diversion takes you through the newly developed estate where the roads are covered in sand, and the less than 12 months old roads have now developed significant pot-holes which are a danger for anyone using this section. :evil:

Thumbs down to the developers.

TCR-A1

Postby TCR-A1 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 pm

The City of Stirling, in particular councellor David Michael and John Koubelke from the State Govt have done little to help.

They have sat on their collective hands whilst existing resisdents have been shafted by the developers of the estate. Only recent complaints have finally been listened to.

Only last week was the project manager getting the third degree from council over the dangerous conditions, not only for cyclists, but pedestrians and general vehicle traffic. Too little too late.

There is a 10 ft drop into the new lake and they have only just put a fence up and that is only a star picket fence with only 2 wires running through it, so any Kid can walk between the wires and fall 10 metres into the water. It;s likle they are spending 5 hours a week trying to finish the project.

I saw a guy the other day riding his nice road bike over that sand covered road and then saw him get off and start to carry his bike.

What is going on here. The city of stirling is quick to get your rates, but what are they offering in return.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:57 pm

Finally some action on the wall running between the freeway and the lake. The story goes that this wall needs to be built prior to the rebuilding of the PSP. It is exactly 6 months to the day that the PSP was pulled up by these developers.

The bad news, the developers vehicles were all over this area with no traffic management in place. One vehicle was parked next to the diverted PSP, next to an exit point onto the road. As the vehicle was blocking my view, I edged my bike out to see what was behind this truck, and the clown started to reverse into me. Took off like a jack-rabbit, as didn't want to be a squashed rabbit, yelling as I went.

To top it off, they had blocked off sections of the road (again with no traffic signs), so not only weren't cyclists able to get through, residents were inconvenienced by these developers.

Has anyone had any experience with taking developers to court, as I’ve already fallen off in this area, almost got squashed now twice, and am getting very tired that this development did not resolve the destruction of the PSP earlier?

TCR-A1

Postby TCR-A1 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Unfortunatley, only a small amount of people have put pressure on the council to do something about it.

The council will act if enough constituents raise the issue. Unfortunatley, if you are a cyclist just passing by, you will have no impact unless you get killed or injured of course.

Then they may listen.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:01 am

Yesterday I was physically and verbally assaulted in this area.

Long story, but I had enough and was about to take some photos of illegally parked cars as I had reported to the Council the day before the truck issue and nearly being squished and they had indicated that all parties had been contacted and there should be no further issues. It wasn't the case so there I was ready to get some visual evidence on what is happening in this area.

An additional car came close to me, stopped, occupants get out, and are illegally parked. I called out to them and asked if they knew they were illegally parked, resulting in several colourful words, and eventually being pushed around by one of them, so much so, that I lost my bike computer off the bike.

No serious injuries, I reported it to the police, but not much they can do.

Rode through the area again this morning, and got wolf whistles and what I felt was aggressive calls.

I'm going to keep trying to get Main Roads or the City to address this as it now 6 months since that PSP was destroyed by the developers.

leguman

Postby leguman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 pm

An update of sorts. I made a complaint via the Main Roads website <Cycling and Pedestrians menu - report a hazard> and within 2 hours received this reply from Main Roads.

“Thank you for your email regarding the PSP diversion through Princeton Estate.

We have recently been liaising with the City of Stirling regarding this situation. A site visit was undertaken by the City of Stirling on the 12 September which identified several shortcomings with the detour route and signage. As a result City of Stirling is currently working with the developer to rectify these. The City of Stirling has advised us that they will be sending patrols daily to ensure that a safe, clean detour is maintained while works continue. They will also be organising regular patrols to control any unauthorised parking.

A Main Roads representative will also be meeting with the developers on Monday to discuss this situation. Please be assured that we are aware of the problems associated with the closure of the PSP and are working with the City of Stirling and Developer to overcome these. “

I imagine that a few more Hazard Reports from forum members will ensure that the urgency that Main Roads and the City of Stirling take into these meetings with the developers is maintained.

See you on the PSP…

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:39 pm

Pity the place is not closer to my home. I'd love to detour through there myself and "crash" into some illegally parked cars. I wonder if any of the workers there are parked in the "crash zone"?

What does it cost to respray a car door these days? :twisted:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:45 pm

TCR-A1 wrote:...you will have no impact unless you get killed or injured...
sorry, I must disagree. It should read "...you will have no impact even if you get or injured..." :wink:

Unless of course you hit one of the illegally parked cars, in which case the argument would read "...if you get killed or injured you will have had a major impact..." :shock: [/u]
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:47 pm

I contacted Main Roads, and got this reply:

Apologies for the delay in responding but Main Roads have only just been made aware of the closure.

It appears that the closure has been put in place with out our knowledge, by the developers of the Princeton Estate. The developers are upgrading the PSP as part of the new housing estate in the area. A closure of this nature should have been approved by Main Roads prior to the implementation to ensure that we could have notified the public and set up appropriate detours.

The PSP will be closed for several months while the upgrade takes place and once completed will be a far superior path then the original path. Main Roads have requested Traffic Management Plans from the developer which will be reviewed and any changes necessary will be made.

If you have any further questions regarding the closure please contact me on the number below.

MAIN ROADS WA

the wheels of Govt turn slowly :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:06 pm

sittingbison wrote:I contacted Main Roads, and got this reply:

MAIN ROADS WA

the wheels of Govt turn slowly :wink:
Not only are they slow, but if you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see they sent you the same letter they sent out in March. "Only just been made aware of it"? Ya reckon? :roll:

Does anyone here have media connections? I smell a rat ....
---------------------

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:52 pm

hehe, yagotme :wink: