Truth on diet and weight control

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
PawPaw

Re: Truth on diet and weight control

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 pm

sogood wrote:There are always new research papers being published on the matter of calorie/weight control. Here's a good one and one that makes good sense.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-an ... 1tjef.html

The associated new calculator is at,
http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/
IME, dietitians realize a consistent weight loss rate is reliant on a consistent Calorie deficit, as bodyweight declines.
I've never heard an Australian dietitian give advice such as reduce your food intake by one latte per day to attain a consistent rate of wt loss.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 pm

PawPaw wrote:IME, dietitians realize a consistent weight loss rate is reliant on a consistent Calorie deficit, as bodyweight declines.
I've never heard an Australian dietitian give advice such as reduce your food intake by one latte per day to attain a consistent rate of wt loss.
I would think that NIH scientists/doctors carry some weight in their area of expertise.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:29 pm

sogood wrote:
PawPaw wrote:IME, dietitians realize a consistent weight loss rate is reliant on a consistent Calorie deficit, as bodyweight declines.
I would think that NIH scientists/doctors carry some weight in their area of expertise.
Like the article says, the calculator hasn't taken the world by storm. And it isn't rocket surgery to realize you stop a Calorie deficit when you want to stop wt loss. Therefore, you have one Calorie intake for wt loss and another once you reach your goal and want to maintain the lower weight. If you want to lose a lot of weight, say 15kg or more, then at some point (say after losing 7kg), you'd revise your Calorie intake down to meet the reduced Calorie needs of a lighter body, and maintain the same Calorie deficit.

Indeed, how on earth does straight line weight loss, as depicted in the NIH simulator, on the same Calorie intake (after an initial short faster loss of glycogen), fit with anything said in the SMH article?