"Why are cyclists so angry" Article in The Age

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-styl ... 1tmzr.html

I've got to say that that road user or abuser campaign has rubbed off on me. Maybe I was already getting to the stage, but I'm feeling less motivated to get angry and confront people who do the wrong thing. If I get a chance I will, but I'll be polite about it and I'll only do it if it's safe. The last couple of times I've had a crack at someone who passed too closely I felt really self conscious about it, think that the other road users around me just thought I was being a duck instead of being on my side.

I must be growing up. I like the change though. I've got better things to do than ride along angry and being vindictive - I'm on a bike!

RonK

Re: "Why are cyclists so angry" Article in The Age

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Maybe I was already getting to the stage, but I'm feeling less motivated to get angry and confront people who do the wrong thing. If I get a chance I will, but I'll be polite about it and I'll only do it if it's safe.

I must be growing up. I like the change though. I've got better things to do than ride along angry and being vindictive - I'm on a bike!
Funny that - reading some of the threads here leaves me shaking my head at the amount of angst generated. And yet I rarely experience issues with motorists, whom I find for the most part patient and courteous. Yes, I do encounter the odd redneck or bogan from time to time, but they don't bother me much. I guess it must be my attitude...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:37 pm

I remember a surfer I used to know. He was just about the best surfer in our area - wonderfully talented. But he wasn't always likeable. One day, when the surf was pretty nice and you'd think anyone lucky enough to be there would be revelling in the sheer pleasure of being able to do such a thing, I was amazed to see him swearing and smashing the water every time something didn't go his way, eg, he fluffed a move or missed a wave. Had me wondering that if that's how he felt, why did he stay out there?

A famous older surfer once said, "the best surfer is the one having the most fun".
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:47 pm

RonK and MREJ, we need more citizens like you. I'm usually fairly placid, but lost my cool on Wednesday when a guy was walking through a local reserve with his cattle dog. Unfortunately (for me) the dog was 200 metres behind its owner doing circles around my bike. Perhaps I looked like a sheep. :lol: It didn't bite me. After being rounded up a second time, I looked around and saw a human. Assuming (correctly) that he was the dog's owner, I firmly suggested he might consider either watching his dog more closely or preferrably walking it on a lead. :oops: I may or may not have dropped an F-bomb or two. :evil: Despite this, I think I achieved the higher moral ground as the owner apologised as I rode past him.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Oxford wrote:some people are just fortunate, whether route, time of day, whatever. count your blessings, I hope you never come to grief.

personally having been rear ended, hospitalised and will probably have life long spinal issues to contend with I reserve the right to get upset when someone decides to play russian roulette with my life.
Well, I can sympathize with that, having been rear-ended by a drunk driver myself. Fortunately I suffered no serious long-term injuries, but I know how it feels to be pitched over the handlebars and tumbled down the road expecting the car wheels to run over me. Even so, motorists rarely bother me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Angry? I dunno... :?

By my totally non scientific reckoning, I'd say I spend at least 98% of my ride time either in a state of blissful oneness with all of creation or am desperately trying to stuff my lungs back into my chest. Dills rarely upset my equilibrium but those of potentially murderous intent will often get a rise. I don't take well to threats.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Had an interesting "discussion" with a driver tonight. Usual "I ride a bike but you guys are always running red lights" which I thought was a curious observation to the 20 or so cyclists stopped at the red light.

I thought I would try engaging him in pleasant & mild conversation.

Funny thing was each time he failed to get a rise out of more, the louder & more expletive laden his ranting got. Apparently he has a 2 tonne car but we don't respect him.

Lights turned green, but motorist was unable to turn left as the stationary line of cars ahead hadn't moved.

Sure I didn't make a new friend, but I rode home happy & I don't think he could say the same.

Maybe next time I will ask why he is so angry.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:42 pm

I drove to work today, probably the first time in a year cause I didn't have enough time to commute everywhere by bike after work.

I can tell you I was starting to get rather angry and impatient having to wait in all the f-ing traffic :evil:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 am

Oxford wrote:some people are just fortunate, whether route, time of day, whatever. count your blessings, I hope you never come to grief.
I agree. Would love to live in this world of such bliss ... where attitude apparently makes trucks pass safely and all wonder of things happen....

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 am

eeksll wrote:I drove to work today, probably the first time in a year cause I didn't have enough time to commute everywhere by bike after work.

I can tell you I was starting to get rather angry and impatient having to wait in all the f-ing traffic :evil:
You were not stuck in traffic. You were traffic.
What are these salesmen peddling?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am

Thanks for sharing. I am trying to learn to leave the camera to do the talking now days ... I get it right sometimes but I do tend to react when someone tries to kill me ... :oops:

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 am

Aushiker wrote:

I agree. Would love to live in this world of such bliss ... where attitude apparently makes trucks pass safely and all wonder of things happen....
Well, perhaps you should read my reply to that post before making half-smart comments. I have been rear-ended by a drunk driver in similar circumstances.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:00 am

In daily life, particularly with family, you often have to take a deep breath and let it slide.

Out on the road when someone disturbs your equilibrium by threatening your safety by their uncaring or dangerous behaviour, it good to get it off your chest and do a bit of venting instead of bottling it up and letting it disturb the rest of your ride. :evil:

Angry cyclist?

Only if you upset me and then only for about 30 seconds. :D

Aushiker

Re:

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:57 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Well, perhaps you should read my reply to that post before making half-smart comments. I have been rear-ended by a drunk driver in similar circumstances.
I did ... Your comment was ...

Funny that - reading some of the threads here leaves me shaking my head at the amount of angst generated. And yet I rarely experience issues with motorists, whom I find for the most part patient and courteous. Yes, I do encounter the odd redneck or bogan from time to time, but they don't bother me much. I guess it must be my attitude...

Are you now saying this is not your view?

Andrew

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 am

Wayfarer wrote:
eeksll wrote:I drove to work today, probably the first time in a year cause I didn't have enough time to commute everywhere by bike after work.

You were not stuck in traffic. You were traffic.
Correctamundo! Hahaha
I just love riding my bike!

RonK

Re: Re:

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

[quote="AushikerI did ... Your comment was ...

Are you now saying this is not your view?

Andrew[/quote]

Please don't try to twist my words. I said:
Yes, I do encounter the odd redneck or bogan from time to time, but they don't bother me much. I guess it must be my attitude...
and that has nothing at all to do with making "trucks pass safely and all wonder of things happen.".

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:21 am

RonK wrote: Funny that - reading some of the threads here leaves me shaking my head at the amount of angst generated....
Maybe let it slide eh guys...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:48 am

RonK wrote:Please don't try to twist my words. I said:
Yes, I do encounter the odd redneck or bogan from time to time, but they don't bother me much. I guess it must be my attitude...
and that has nothing at all to do with making "trucks pass safely and all wonder of things happen.".
With respect, you left yourself open to misinterpretation there. I gather you're saying that with your attitude, you dont get upset by it much, whereas it was easily interpreted as saying becasue of your attitude, things that might put you at risk don't happen to you much.

The reason Andrew has taken the latter understanding is that others have put the view that if things happen to you a lot, you must be doing something wrong or have "the wrong attitude" and your expression sounded a bit like that.

Let's all take a deep breath and count to ten - that's what the anger management counsellor I'm making the bogan's insurance comapny pay for tells me to do, and trite as it sounds, it helps take the heat out of the situation... but not as much as having a camera running and knowing that if the threat was real, you can do something about it later. :twisted:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 am

trailgumby wrote:Let's all take a deep breath and count to ten - that's what the anger management counsellor I'm making the bogan's insurance comapny pay for tells me to do, and trite as it sounds, it helps take the heat out of the situation... but not as much as having a camera running and knowing that if the threat was real, you can do something about it later. :twisted:
Does going for a ride to do the shopping count :) Lots of fun at the shopping centre car park for sure :)

Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:01 pm

:(

I am a motorist who gets frustrated by cyclists who please themselves as to which road rules they follow and which they don't.
Early the other morning I was parked on a quiet road and opened the door of my car only to almost hit a cyclist centimetres away from the door - when there were no cars on the road at that time. He then proceeded to loudly swear at me. I don't see why he was so close to my car???
My understanding was that if you use the road, use a lane on the road???
Maybe more education is required on all of this.
Commenter
Daisy
Date and time
Feb 23, 2012, 12:05PM

Get’s told that she is 100% in the wrong. Has the legislation quoted to her and she responds

To whoever quoted the rta site, it also says this:
"Under NSW law, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and subject to the same road rules as other vehicles" - a car would have been travelling along a lane marking to get that close to me.
And whoever told me to look in my mirror - the cyclist would probably have not been visible as they were SPEEDING along.
Take some responsibility for yourselves cyclists!!!
Commenter
Daisy
Date and time
Feb 23, 2012, 05:26PM

:(
2012 Oppy A4

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:18 pm

OK

I read through every single comment made in reply to that article. Invoke Godwins law if you must but replace the word “Cyclist” with “Jew” and you wouldn’t be to far off the mark :roll:
2012 Oppy A4

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:28 am

Im guessing they are angry because the world wide death toll score is something like this?

CARS VS BIKE DEATHS WORLDWIDE

DEATHS CARS VS BIKES

0 deaths 50,000 deaths

Hardly a fair game to play...
With 300 dollar fine penalty?

Greasy Sam

Postby Greasy Sam » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:55 pm

I was a a bit of an agro cyclist when I first took it up a few years ago, I had a few small incidents but the only one that has really stuck with me was just after I had come to a sudden stop in the bike lane, with my chain caught in the spokes. I turned around to check the damage, spotted half my derailleur up near my chainring, and just at that moment was clipped softly by a driver as he passed too close to me. I hurled an absolute storm of abuse in his direction, and felt completely justified until I turned around to find a guy in a car waiting patiently behind me. Instant shame.
Since then, I've tried to be always mindful that I'm an ambassador for cycling, and that its in my own interest as well as everybody else's to behave in a polite way. I wait at the lights (bar pedestrian crossing lights; I treat those as zebra crossings) and I'll shoot a wave at any driver who is polite or considerate towards me on the road, and I get to enjoy my ride a lot more.
Having said that, targeted abuse or absolute stupidity on the road will always get the blood pumping, but I tend to just work it off on the pedals instead. 8)

Downhill

Postby Downhill » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 am

Greasy Sam wrote:I've tried to be always mindful that I'm an ambassador for cycling, and that its in my own interest as well as everybody else's to behave in a polite way.
+1. Well said.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6