"New" CEO for BNSW

The 2nd Womble

Re: "New" CEO for BNSW

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:35 pm

The only people who should reasonably be expected to profit from cycling particiation are your LBS and the companies that supply them and us, BUGs - who do alot more for cyclists than the State Bodies, and Cycling Australia IMO.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Here you go peeps, from the BNSW newsletter - he doesn't want to talk to bfv but he is willing to receive your emails. Pity, it is actions that speak louder than words. He also wants to convey he did a cycling trip around Europe.
From the bike saddle of new Chief Executive Officer Bicycle NSW - Alex Unwin

I am very excited to be back at Bicycle NSW and take this opportunity to thank Omar Khalifa who as CEO at Bicycle NSW played a key role in increasing grass roots support for bicycle riding reflected in the number of local bicycle user groups affiliated with Bicycle NSW growing more than four-fold to be close to 50. In August of last year Bicycle NSW published a 5 year Strategy focusing the organizational purpose of “Creating a better environment for cycling” regardless of how or what bicycle riding you enjoy! We are all in this together which makes total sense to me. While I have been away I indulged my passion for cycle touring and enjoyed a trips through California and much of France and Switzerland. My view is that life's better on a bike and I look forward to working with a wide range of stakeholders to help deliver the public policy support for bicycle riding that is justified by the significant transport, health, environmental and economic benefits bicycle riding delivers. I very much welcome comment and input from all our members and anyone else who has ideas and perspectives to help us achieve our purpose of creating a better environment for cycling. aunwin@bicyclensw.org.au
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Maybe we should start a "Meat the vegan" campaign (pun intended) to get him to come to the table. :lol:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:33 pm

*groans*

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:43 am

CommuRider wrote:Here you go peeps, from the BNSW newsletter - he doesn't want to talk to bfv but he is willing to receive your emails. Pity, it is actions that speak louder than words. He also wants to convey he did a cycling trip around Europe.
From the bike saddle of new Chief Executive Officer Bicycle NSW - Alex Unwin

I am very excited to be back at Bicycle NSW and take this opportunity to thank Omar Khalifa who as CEO at Bicycle NSW played a key role in increasing grass roots support for bicycle riding reflected in the number of local bicycle user groups affiliated with Bicycle NSW growing more than four-fold to be close to 50. In August of last year Bicycle NSW published a 5 year Strategy focusing the organizational purpose of “Creating a better environment for cycling” regardless of how or what bicycle riding you enjoy! We are all in this together which makes total sense to me. While I have been away I indulged my passion for cycle touring and enjoyed a trips through California and much of France and Switzerland. My view is that life's better on a bike and I look forward to working with a wide range of stakeholders to help deliver the public policy support for bicycle riding that is justified by the significant transport, health, environmental and economic benefits bicycle riding delivers. I very much welcome comment and input from all our members and anyone else who has ideas and perspectives to help us achieve our purpose of creating a better environment for cycling. aunwin@bicyclensw.org.au

Yep, I got that email too.
The first communication I have had with BNSW since the change in leadership.
They haven't been mentioned or said anything that I can find in any news or current affairs programmes that I can find in recent times.
Barry has roadblocked more bike lanes in Sydney and they haven't said a thing. NRMA has.

I don't see BNSW as a valid organisation anymore.
2010 BMC SLC01

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 am

This is what I'm thinking about sending to Alex Unwin. Constructive feedback appreciated.
Greetings, Alex.

I’m wondering what you are going to do to address the decline in BNSW relevance and membership since Omar Khalifa’s resignation?

In particular I am concerned about your failure to engage with the media. Your decision to decline a request for interview from Bicycle Network Australia’s David Halfpenny is mystifying. I don’t know many people who would be more sympathetic and provide you with a better opportunity to get your message out, yet you seem reticent - almost afraid – to give interviews. Instead, in your most recent email, you want to talk about a cycle tour you did in Europe.

Dude, who cares? There is an enormous public safety issue caused by driver attitudes and sense of entitlement at the expense of cyclists, yet through this whole Shane Warne fiasco when cyclists were being cut up on the road daily by haters, you have nothing to say. An outstanding opportunity to make constructive comments and take the high moral ground in teh public domain has been let slip.

Most people I know who were members of BNSW only kept their membership because Omar’s call-it-as-he saw-it attitude to cycling issues and his willingness to engage with media gave them hope that BNSW might again be a relevant advocacy agency to take on government indifference, something notable by its absence during your tenure. Prior to his tenure, they (as I) were members of BNSW only for the insurance cover.

All of those people (about half a dozen) have now indicated they are going to or have already joined either BV and Bike SA. As soon as my membership expires I expect to do the same ... unless my concerns are addressed and we start to see BNSW represent our interests to government and in the public domain.

I look forward to a meaningful response.

Y/f

TG

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am

I'd remove this bit:
trailgumby wrote:Instead, in your most recent email, you want to talk about a cycle tour you did in Europe. Dude, who cares?
Other than that, looks fine to me. :-)

Obviously, he cares enough to tell about his cycling trip to Europe. It might not matter to YOU, but it matters to HIM ;-)

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:06 am

trailgumby wrote:This is what I'm thinking about sending to Alex Unwin. Constructive feedback appreciated.
Greetings, Alex.

I’m wondering what you are going to do to address the decline in BNSW relevance and membership since Omar Khalifa’s resignation?

In particular I am concerned about your failure to engage with the media. Your decision to decline a request for interview from Bicycle Network Australia’s David Halfpenny is mystifying. I don’t know many people who would be more sympathetic and provide you with a better opportunity to get your message out, yet you seem reticent - almost afraid – to give interviews. Instead, in your most recent email, you want to talk about a cycle tour you did in Europe.

Dude, who cares? There is an enormous public safety issue caused by driver attitudes and sense of entitlement at the expense of cyclists, yet through this whole Shane Warne fiasco when cyclists were being cut up on the road daily by haters, you have nothing to say. An outstanding opportunity to make constructive comments and take the high moral ground in the public domain has been let slip.

Most people I know who were members of BNSW only kept their membership because Omar’s call-it-as-he saw-it attitude to cycling issues and his willingness to engage with media gave them hope that BNSW might again be a relevant advocacy agency to take on government indifference, something notable by its absence during your tenure. Prior to his tenure, they (as I) were members of BNSW only for the insurance cover.

All of those people (about half a dozen) have now indicated they are going to or have already joined either BV or Bike SA. As soon as my membership expires I expect to do the same ... unless my concerns are addressed and we start to see BNSW represent our interests to government and in the public domain.

I look forward to a meaningful response.

Y/f

TG

Jut a few typo's to correct. I bolded and underlined them.
2010 BMC SLC01

find_bruce

"New" CEO for BNSW

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Go for it TG. My email went to him more than a week ago. No response yet, but we live in hope
Anything you can do, I can do slower

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:FYI BNV have been the worst of the lot to the point where Vic Roads and the Victorian Govt won't even go up against them. Several recent comments from Brennan in the media strongly point to BNV having strong links to motoring groups, and BNV have even distanced themselves from the other State Bodies who they felt were 'holding them back'. This move is not for the benecit of their membership.
Brennan has openly stated that it's members concerns are not his or BNV's where cycling safety is concerned. Again their sole function is to encourage more cycling participation for financial gain. Cycling safety and advocacy is hidden in the Attic like the disfigured family freak.
I think you all should join BSA to make the point to the others
How can BNV be there for making a profit when they are listed as a non-profit. Pretty sure there are laws to keep that sort of thing in line. Just asking, know other motive involved. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Yes Id love to see that Financial Report btw. Money buys power and influence. It's alot of money if BNV's influence is anything to go by

zero

Postby zero » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 pm

martinjs wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:FYI BNV have been the worst of the lot to the point where Vic Roads and the Victorian Govt won't even go up against them. Several recent comments from Brennan in the media strongly point to BNV having strong links to motoring groups, and BNV have even distanced themselves from the other State Bodies who they felt were 'holding them back'. This move is not for the benecit of their membership.
Brennan has openly stated that it's members concerns are not his or BNV's where cycling safety is concerned. Again their sole function is to encourage more cycling participation for financial gain. Cycling safety and advocacy is hidden in the Attic like the disfigured family freak.
How can BNV be there for making a profit when they are listed as a non-profit. Pretty sure there are laws to keep that sort of thing in line. Just asking, know other motive involved. :D

Martin
As you increase the size of the budget a non-profit commands, the board will see the need to reward the mate they installed as CEO by increasing his salary to match.

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:10 pm

zero wrote:
martinjs wrote:

Martin
As you increase the size of the budget a non-profit commands, the board will see the need to reward the mate they installed as CEO by increasing his salary to match.
Proof?

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:20 pm

CommuRider wrote:I'd remove this bit:
trailgumby wrote:Instead, in your most recent email, you want to talk about a cycle tour you did in Europe. Dude, who cares?
Other than that, looks fine to me. :-)

Obviously, he cares enough to tell about his cycling trip to Europe. It might not matter to YOU, but it matters to HIM ;-)
True, but that's not my cycling. Sure he can do that in his own time: all power to him, let him write a travelogue article in Australian Cyclist . But in his role as CEO of BNSW I have an expectation that he will represent *my* interests. If not, well there is a marketplace I can go to.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 am

Maybe SCA should start organising a new insurance deal with an underwriter that'll do the same thing. At least then BWhatever wouldn't get a cut of your money. Pay the right insurer directly and cut out the State Orgs' crapola.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:08 pm

That's a good idea, Womble. I don't see why they wouldn't offer an agency arrangement to smaller organisations, it doesn't cost them anything and might net them some disgruntled riders.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:46 pm

trailgumby wrote:... let him write a travelogue article in Australian Cyclist . But in his role as CEO of BNSW I have an expectation that he will represent *my* interests. If not, well there is a marketplace I can go to.
& that is what he has done in the current edition of Australian Cyclist. What he does not appear to have done is any advocacy.

Despite his written pleas for comment from members, I am yet to receive a reply to my email. I sent a follow up today
Dear Alex,

I was pleased to read in e-news that you “very much welcome comment and input from all our members” and similar comment in the Australian Cyclist. Unfortunately however I still have not received a reply to my email of 8 February, copy below.

Could you please advise when I might expect a response.
It is rapidly getting to the point where I will only renew my membership to support changes to the constitution and wholesale changes to the board.

Does anyone know of prospective candidates who are not middle aged white male lawyers ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:40 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:That's a good idea, Womble. I don't see why they wouldn't offer an agency arrangement to smaller organisations, it doesn't cost them anything and might net them some disgruntled riders.
If that is possible, I can see it...this website offering bicycle insurance! Who would have thought! :-)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Maybe SCA should start organising a new insurance deal with an underwriter that'll do the same thing. At least then BWhatever wouldn't get a cut of your money. Pay the right insurer directly and cut out the State Orgs' crapola.
I'm in for that Womble, make it happen and shake up the Bwhoevers...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm

trailgumby wrote:... let him write a travelogue article in Australian Cyclist . But in his role as CEO of BNSW I have an expectation that he will represent *my* interests. If not, well there is a marketplace I can go to.
Finally got what you were on about and flicked through the mag today and noticed the photos of Alex's Eurotrip including the one with beer on saddle. Didn't read the article as I thought the gratuitous email to all members about his Eurotrip was enough.
find_bruce wrote:& that is what he has done in the current edition of Australian Cyclist. What he does not appear to have done is any advocacy.
I totally disagree*. In fact in the same mag, BNSW has advertised that they actually advocate::

As a BNSW member, you support the advocacy work....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*What freaking advocacy?

Not only is BNSW out of touch with its members, it is deluded about its own achievements. If BNSW had any advocacy bones in its pockets, it would be providing a full-service hotline for injured cyclists out there, spending a quarter of its $1M+ annual membership kitty on a TV ad that promotes safe riding/safe driving, and spending half of its budget on lobbying the govt. Instead there's a $5K page ad telling members that you join an org that advocates.

Advocacy?

Advocacy?

Just pass me the hypocrisy bag as I need to puke. What did Orwell say about the use of language? Ugh.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:It is rapidly getting to the point where I will only renew my membership to support changes to the constitution and wholesale changes to the board. Does anyone know of prospective candidates who are not middle aged white male lawyers ?
List of board members. Not encouraging. Their CVs impart that they know a lot about organisations but they also read that they are so out of touch from the membership base.

http://www.bicyclensw.org.au/content/board-information

Lawyers and white collar occupations plus BUG north reps. Hope their D&O insurance is up to date though being convened by a lawyer, I can only wonder what their insurance premium is and how many memberships are paying for it.

Alex was wearing a Portfolio Partners (owned by Aviva, investment mgmt) jersey in his Eurotrip photos so he may be partly-employed by them because surely as full-time (?) CEO he is being paid by BNSW unlike the board members who serve on the board because they feel a strong obligation of service to the wider cycling community.

And it would be totally inappropriate, irresponsible and unprofessional for BNSW that they appointed a CEO who was full-time employed at another organisation.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 pm

Please don't take offence to this (surely no!) but IMO, if you join BNSW for the advocacy that Alex is capable of, you must be the stupidest of stupid. I give Scientologists more credit for being sensible.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Because I support the cycling advocacy I am now a proud member of Bike SA

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

feral grasshopper

Postby feral grasshopper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:10 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Because I support the cycling advocacy I am now a proud member of Bike SA

FoM
congratulations! they are a pretty good mob with a great model, and good services for members etc etc :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:Does anyone know of prospective candidates who are not middle aged white male lawyers ?
I'm not a lawyer. Does that help? :mrgreen: