Base training

ICU812

Base training

Postby ICU812 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:32 pm

I would love some advise on how the best way to go about proper base training without killing myself in overdoing it. I realise this is going to take some effort and I have a determined streak within me to become a stronger rider. Our BUG group is going to Canberra and will be doing some rides around the area. I have put my name down but realise I have a lot of work to do. Is it possible to become a better rider in 6-8wks? I am starting to pick up pace after an illness that knocked me off my pegs for a short while but I'm now better and on the road picking up my pace. I am a poor hill climber which I put down to not being fit enough, so I guess that means keep doing hills and there are no shortage of those in Bathurst :lol: I would really appreciate if I could be steered in the right direction. Many thanks Sam

sogood

Re: Base training

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Base training is all about sustained endurance riding. So for a start, you don't want to ride with a competitive partner. Either just by yourself or someone who is calm and willing to keep the pace low. Just ride and ride. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

paladin

Base training

Postby paladin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

When you say pace low what do you mean?

Measured in terms of:
Km/h?
Hr zone?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:48 am

I am in a "base" period now ... personally I couldn't think of anything more boring than long slow km's.
I have been mixing it up with 1 hour cyclo cross races during the heart of winter and now that they are finished I am going hunting strava KOM's on long efforts 5 to 20 minutes long ... bagged one today and missed another by 12 secs :lol: ... can't complain as I am on my base training lead weight bike.
6-8 weeks could see a very big improvement...to me it sounds like you just need to ride more (5 times a week) slowly upping the time on the bike each week.
Set some times on longer climbs and try have a go at beating them once a week :D .

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:21 am

ICU812 wrote:Is it possible to become a better rider in 6-8wks?
Yes

For the next 6 weeks, add 15-30 minutes per week to the riding you are doing now.
Ride frequently, 4 days/week minimum, 5-6 per week is better.
Do some days flat, some days with hills.
One longer ride day, one day with some efforts lasting 5-10 minutes where you push yourself hard, one day with a group.
Keep the strain on the chain.

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 am

Hi ICU812,

I'm currently in a 'base phase'. Coming back from an extended lay-off (due to injury), I'm basically base training to get the legs ready for more intensive riding in a month or two.

Basically, I christened this month "small-chainring January". Probably 95% of my riding has been in the small chainring, keeping it all at low intensities. Part of the benefit is being able to back-up day after day (as the legs haven't been smashed by high intensity work).

What I'm finding (for me!) is best is to do less-per-day, but ride more days. For example - in base phase, its better to ride 5 days for an hour/day, than ride 3 days for 2hrs/day (numbers plucked out of the air for arguments sake). Also, as Alex said, throw one day/week in there of higher intensity (not super-high/anaerobic) helps as well.

I've seen some really big improvements during this phase - hopefully you will as well. :D

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Keep the strain on the chain.
That's a great definition!

It's amazing what volume (all that ks) can do for one's cycling ability. But the hours needed is hard to come by. Then again, some people don't believe in so called "base training" and can do just as well. :roll:

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:57 pm

Hypothetically if a (road) rider rides all the time (6 days a week) and has been riding and racing for about 5 years how does a base fit in and is it needed? Should this hypothetical rider just start upping the intensity/distance/time he spends on the bike to get to be a better/faster/stronger rider. This hypothetical rider is a male age in late 40s.

Abby

Postby Abby » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Ross,

In my opinion, base is much less important for such a hypothetical rider. They have so many km's in the legs they should be right...

I think you'd maybe have a few short base-style periods (say 2-4 weeks each) spread throughout the year - mainly if you reach a point where the legs are starting to get chronically tired from too much intensity. A bit like giving the legs a brief holiday while stil riding.

That's just my totally unscientific approach...

Cheers,
Abby

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Ross wrote:Hypothetically if a (road) rider rides all the time (6 days a week) and has been riding and racing for about 5 years how does a base fit in and is it needed? Should this hypothetical rider just start upping the intensity/distance/time he spends on the bike to get to be a better/faster/stronger rider. This hypothetical rider is a male age in late 40s.
I understand that base training is part of the periodisation regime that serious riders use to prepare the start of their season. It's a way to recondition themselves following their off time and be ready to intensify their training, and allows them to maintain their higher level of performance later in the season for longer. For the non-competitive and amateur riders, I don't see there's any absolute need for "base training". Just go and ride lots and build on endurance and aerobics. In ICU812's case, low intensity "base" riding would permit the rider to ride long and enjoy it, without getting exhausted quickly by intensity work.

ICU812

Postby ICU812 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. Bathurst doesn't have much in the way of flat bits. There are a few rides around that aren't hilly. But which ever way you look at it, it is up, steep up. There are even sections around Bathurst that are dubbed 'the wall' and 'the euro' by local competitive riders. So I guess I will have to suffer no matter which way I go :) Anyway I'm willing to give this my best shot.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:12 pm

ICU812 wrote:Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. Bathurst doesn't have much in the way of flat bits. There are a few rides around that aren't hilly. But which ever way you look at it, it is up, steep up. There are even sections around Bathurst that are dubbed 'the wall' and 'the euro' by local competitive riders. So I guess I will have to suffer no matter which way I go :) Anyway I'm willing to give this my best shot.
Take it on easy gears and try to enjoy it. Isn't that why we are in this cycling thing for the long haul? Good luck!

Stickybeak

Base training

Postby Stickybeak » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm planning on doing the conquer cancer ride in October which is 2 days of 100 ks each. I've been in preparation for about 6 weeks. Last weekend I did 20k on sat and 25 on sun. I did another 21 today.
I am looking at doing some shorter tour rides (50 at bobbin head; 70 blayney to bathurst; 100 erina), to build up and for fun but I'm worried about my ability to climb.
I am not sure whether I should attack a hill (heartbreak hill from city to surf is almost at my front door) in isolation or work it into my rides. I have some hills in all the courses I ride but their pretty tame compared to heartbreak.
I'm 50 and have not been fit for 30 years but back then I rowed and was super fit so I know what hard yakka is.
Input gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:58 am

Stickybeak wrote:I'm planning on doing the conquer cancer ride in October which is 2 days of 100 ks each. I've been in preparation for about 6 weeks. Last weekend I did 20k on sat and 25 on sun. I did another 21 today.
I am looking at doing some shorter tour rides (50 at bobbin head; 70 blayney to bathurst; 100 erina), to build up and for fun but I'm worried about my ability to climb.
I am not sure whether I should attack a hill (heartbreak hill from city to surf is almost at my front door) in isolation or work it into my rides. I have some hills in all the courses I ride but their pretty tame compared to heartbreak.
I'm 50 and have not been fit for 30 years but back then I rowed and was super fit so I know what hard yakka is.
Input gratefully received.

This might sound a bit harsh, but unless you have a significant heart or lung condition, you are really under-challenging yourself.
I'm 48, have been road-riding since Easter last year, and would not really consider 20 km a ride as anything more than social. You should easily be able to increase your capability, just keep riding.
You have officially become your parents.

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 am

Similar to what Ken said above.

You've only been going for 6 weeks - so don't go attacking anything!! :wink: Just ride as much as you can. And better to ride shorter distances on lots of days, than big rides on just a couple of days...

Before you know it, 50km+ rides will be a piece of cake. Then you can start worrying about hard efforts up hills, and when to place them in your ride...

Best of luck - its a great goal you've got... :D

Cheers,
Abby

Stickybeak

Base training

Postby Stickybeak » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:24 am

I should have mentioned that I started this plan at 131kgs

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:04 am

Stickybeak wrote:I should have mentioned that I started this plan at 131kgs

So, don't attack anything. Steady as she goes, and increase a bit at a time. You might take 6-12 mths to get to 100km distances.
You have officially become your parents.

Stickybeak

Base training

Postby Stickybeak » Tue May 15, 2012 4:16 am

Doing at least 1 100k ride per week. Down 10kgs.