Giant road bikes

fabs

Giant road bikes

Postby fabs » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

I am looking at buying my first road bike, does anybody own an OCR 3? Is it a good bike or would you go up to the OCR 2?

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Me and the hubby tossed around these models and decided that we would have the ocr2 as the componentry was better. We cycle upwards of a few hundred k's each week so thought it was a sensible thing to do.

In the end, neither of us got one!! I went for something I fell in love with, and my husband found last years ocr comp (full carbon and a mix of components) at a really good price so didn't have to think for long (damn budget!!).

It would depend how much you were riding and what the budget said. Both use the same frame so comfort will not change between the two, but the components on the ocr2 will be better and more durable than on the ocr3.

Moo...

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm

My son has the OCR2 and I'd recommend it. It's good bike. Tiagra components - they work very well. You can fit a rack if you need to (can to the OCR3 too).

The OCR3 has Sora components, the next level down - they too work well, just not quite as well.

The OCR2 though, has a carbon fork where the OCR3 doesn't - this gives the OCR2 a better ride.

Quite frankly, if you can afford the OCR2, buy it over the OCR3 however, if you have to buy the OCR3, you are still getting a good bike.

Having said all that, look at lots of different brands and get as many test rides as you can. All the brands and bikes are different and the only way to find the one the feels right to you, is to try lots.

Richard

amattinson

Postby amattinson » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:04 pm

I have and OCR3 which I've build from the frame up with a mix of 105 and Ultegra components, so it is probably the equivalent of the top OCR just because of the components.
As others have mentioned the OCR3 comes with the bottom end components and if the budget will allow go for the OCR2 as you will appreciate the higher spec components. The frame and fork is the same in both. That being said, as with all bikes once you get a reasonable frame and fork go for the highest spec components.

zapata

Postby zapata » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 am

i dont know your location but in adelaide JT Cycles are having a massive sale this weekend with 40% off all bikes...............i think they stock mainly avanti.
also 50% all accessories.

so if your looking for a new bike nows the time to buy.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:11 pm

sigh, wish i was in adelaide.

europa

Postby europa » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:52 pm

stryker84 wrote:sigh, wish i was in adelaide.
There's this thing called a 'bus' ... come on over, make your purchase and ship it home. You may just find the saving offsets the price of the ticket. Of course, a few judicious phone calls first might be a good move :wink:

Richard

fabs

Postby fabs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:04 am

Finally Picking up a new Ocr2 tomorrow

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Giant road bikes

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:17 am

fabs wrote:I am looking at buying my first road bike, does anybody own an OCR 3? Is it a good bike or would you go up to the OCR 2?
I did the same selection in 04 and picked the OCR2 becase at that time, the OCR2 came with cleated pedals and the OCR3 didn't, when I included the pedals, the price diference was so little that it would of been silly for me not to go for the better bike.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:06 pm

fabs wrote:Finally Picking up a new Ocr2 tomorrow
Good one :D Don't forget to brag about her when you get her home.

There's quite a Giant club on this forum.

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Sounds 8) fabs, Could you give us a review? I'd like an opinion on the current OCR 2, It will be the first one I test ride mid year.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:00 pm

The alloy or the carbon one?

fabs

Postby fabs » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
The alloy or the carbon one?
I wish it was Carbon :), Just the alloy OCR2

fabs

Postby fabs » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Sounds 8) fabs, Could you give us a review? I'd like an opinion on the current OCR 2, It will be the first one I test ride mid year.
I have done a couple of short one hour rides and very happy with it, ...apart from seat! :cry: I have had a a couple of days rest now and will be going for longer ride tomorrow & test the seat again!! :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:12 pm

Seats are a personal thing. Good luck with guessing the right one.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20 pm

Thanks Fabs, I'll be testing one soon, good luck with the saddle.

fabs

Postby fabs » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Absolutely great!:D I tried it on my 'MOUNTAIN BIKE" ondulating road course and improved my average speed by 7km an hour! Hills are hell of a lot easier, and riding against the wind has been less frustrating. Even the saddle has now been "worn in" and feels quite comfortable. Tyres, brakes and gears have felt good :D Overall thumbs up! Coming to grips with the Shimano Pedals has been my only problem!! :?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:50 pm

Thanks Fab, I tested one mid week and fell in love :) She's mine as soon as I come up with a bit more cash. I'm getting the LBS to swap the pedals for MTB items so I can use my old shoes. This is gonna be great 8)

europa

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:03 pm

There's no doubt the 'modern generic bike' is a darned good item. I steered my son towards Giant OCR2 because of the triple chainring - Trek only have doubles in that style of bike. It serves his 'need for speed', his 'I'm Stuart O'Grady in disguise' attitude, his need to maintain fitness for the soccer season (his true love). And it has worked better than I'd hoped.

We need to grow past this belief that cycling is only about 'racing'. Do that, and the cycling world has some wonderful bikes on offer (it's a largely Australian industry psychosis).

Regardless of all that, isn't it geat when you climb aboard your 'perfect' bike :D I still feel special when I climb on my Trek520 :D

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:05 pm

europa wrote:Regardless of all that, isn't it great when you climb aboard your 'perfect' bike :D I still feel special when I climb on my Trek520 :D
Oh Yeah, every ride on Princess is still an adventure four years later :)

europa wrote:We need to grow past this belief that cycling is only about 'racing'. Do that, and the cycling world has some wonderful bikes on offer (it's a largely Australian industry psychosis).
IMO, the industry in general still subscribes to the "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" mindset. How many of us are good enough riders to really do justice to a bike like the euroPro from Teschner that Lucky Pierre mentioned in another thread or the Ethos ClimbMax from the fat side of the Aussie framebuilders fence? (Not that we can't drool gently of course)
Apart from that, the mindset among non riders is still firmly fixed in the "bikes=toys" mould, which, again IMO, isn't really helped by certain cycling groups and media who seem only too willing to perpetuate this in their dealings with the public.
DAMMIT! I wanna ride to work on the other 364 days too!

Phew, sorry 'bout the thread jack, Fabs. I'll shut up now :oops:

Shaun

BTW does your new girl have a name yet?

europa

Postby europa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:11 pm

I've been standing back and staring at the Black Beast lately. She looks super swish leaning against my dining room table. What a pity I'll never see her on the road (ain't no-one riding my baby but me)

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Know what your saying, the only other bum that's been on Princess is Tims, if he has to check out anything and my daughter sat on her for two minutes to check frame sizing.

You can't get anyone to take a happy snap for you?

Of course you could always slow down as you pass shop windows...

europa

Postby europa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Of course you could always slow down as you pass shop windows...
You mean you don't :wink:

Richard

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:53 pm

Mulger bill wrote: Of course you could always slow down as you pass shop windows...
Isn't that why cars have mirrors on the passengers side - so that we can see ourselves in them? :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:55 pm

I refuse to answer that quest............... :lol:

Ever since we got the lounge/dining room floorboards polished, the GLW won't let Princess into the house :?