Southbank cafés don't open early enough!

Southbank cafés don't open early enough!

Postby Sauce » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I took the opportunity this morning to ride into the city at 5am for the river loop. I ate a light breakfast before I left home (150g yoghurt + muesli). My plan was to catch a nice café brekky before heading back home as I knew I would be getting hungry on the way back.

I was pretty annoyed to find out that not a single café in Southbank was open at 7am. What's the deal? There were HEAPS of people out and about, surely it wouldn't hurt business to open a little earlier on weekends?
Sauce

by BNA » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am

BNA

Re: Southbank cafés don't open early enough!

Postby sumgy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am

Strange.
The ones at Little Stanley Street are usually open by then (Garage, Denim etc).
sumgy

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:31 am

My view is that if your business isn’t open (online for those that can operate in that environment) then you can’t take paying business. I know that having your store open costs money but if you’re not open you can’t take my money
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby Oxford » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:01 am

At the end of the day its about profit, if its not profitable to be open and they are not running a charity, then it makes good business sense not to be open. Those that have owned and run a business will understand that basic premise.

The flip side of that is that sometimes you do need to occasionally (maybe more often) run a loss situation to build good will (or compete in the market place) in order to make profits down the track. To me its obvious these business owners feel the potentially lost goodwill is worth not being open.
Life is not about waiting for the rain to pass.....it's about learning to dance (or ride) in the rain.
- anonymous
Oxford

Postby Dimma » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Denim is open from 6am everyday.
Dimma

Postby myforwik » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:31 am

You can thank fair work australia. Any hours outside of 9am to 5pm are now basically penalty periods and they have to pay time and a half. Plus if the person comes early enough (before 6:30am), they get time and a half for the entire shift, as they will be counted as night shift workers. So even though you have young people lining up looking for some extra $$$ you can't employ them or open with such a huge jump in operating costs. Its basically the difference between running the shop with 2 people and running it with 3 people.
myforwik

Postby uncle arthur » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:45 pm

Southbank is a tourist destination - the real cafes around in Little Stanley St generally cater for the early morning walkers/runners/swimmers/cyclists and are open earlier.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Tell me about it. I start work at 5am at South Bank. It's a long wait to get the first decent coffee.
Long day's journey into alt-bars
pentlandexile

Return to Queensland