Anyone want to go to France in June?

donald

Anyone want to go to France in June?

Postby donald » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:32 am

G'day everyone,

New to the forum here - thought I would stop being such a loner and see if anyone wanted to go with me this time! This will be my forth tour in France. Have done a lot of the famous tour climbs in the past. This year planning on riding the Grand Alps and some Italian Collees for about four weeks in June 2012. Is anyone interested in joing me for some/all of this trip?
I'm 61 but fit as a fiddle (have ridden all the big climbs in the Alps and Pyranees).

Cheers,
Don

garbo

Re: Anyone want to go to France in June?

Postby garbo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:17 am

Hey Don, a mate and I were thinking of going over to the Alps, but in July, so we could catch the Tour. But I'm thinking it might be a bit of a circus, and hard to find somewhere to stay. So in a way, June might be better.

Does anyone know what it would be like finding accommodation, and how crazy the roads would be, if we were in the Alps around the time the Tour goes through?
Yeti 575
Azzurri Forza Di2

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:29 am

CGOAB is your friend.

You can research the areas, advertise for companions in the Classified section and there's a newish article on touring in France in the Articles section.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Young lady at our cycling club, new to cycle-touring, was talking about doing just this, leaving in June for 4-5 months. But she is focussing on Scandinavia and eastern Europe.

She is a sweetie, if I was 20 years younger....
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

donald

Postby donald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi guys,

I like to have the roads to myself, so I go in June. It is cooler, not much traffic, evertything is cheaper and accomodation is easier to find.
Can get snow on some of the cols, but that can happen anytime.The Tour is great to watch but the crowds are unreal, campervans take up the sides of the cols
3-4 days in advance-everyone sits watching TV and getting high?. If you get caught in the mess you have to wait until it moves on a real experience. I always stay away from the tour now days having seen a few stages.
I travel with a normal road bike with a compact double ring. When you get tired the extra gears are very handy. I carry a small back pack with the essentials only, it can be a nuisance but you can still hurtle down hill.
Feel free to ask any questions-I will try and answer them.
Don

donald

Postby donald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm

To westcoast Pete. thanks for that I will have a look.
Don

donald

Postby donald » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:20 pm

To Ilpadrone

I start in Geneva, ride around the lake and head straight to Morzine where the fun starts to get serious.I am planning on doing D902 plus several
side shots to Finestre etc. Down to Bonette from where I attack some near by cols. from there back over all the famous climbs around Alpe d hue.
thats the plan but it is flexible.

Don

donald

Postby donald » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 pm

HELLO Guys and youg lady biker.
I always avoid the Tour De France I have been caught up in the mess. The Campervans take up position on the Cols 2-3 days prior.
I go earlier so I can watch the tour when I get home. I also like the cooler weather as July August can get HOT and the French Holidays start end June.
Last year it was lonely on the Cols the way I like it. There is also more snow about which makes for a better picture.

This year I land in geneva and head straight for Morzine where the action starts, I have a few Collees in Italy to try and on to the Bonnette.
Company would be welcome. Usually do a couple of Cols a day and maybe 50-100k depends on how I feel and how much photography I do.

This is my fourth trip so if I can give any advise I am happy to do so

Don

chalkie

Postby chalkie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:41 pm

I'll be in France in 2014 if you're there then. (not much help for this year I know but if you're planning ahead)....