Being overtaken when going around a corner at intersection

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:56 am

Gudday

Well I said that I wouldn't ride around being angry and vindictive, but if I had a chance to chat with someone about something they'd done to me, then I would. And I did.

I was riding into my work complex which has it's own legal and public road network, indicating to go left at an intersection (from the through road of a T-intersection to the adjoining road). Then a ute appears next to me, also indicating, and proceeds to overtake me on the corner with his back wheel level with me. The intersection is very tight and there was a car waiting to turn right. He came pretty close but it wasn't too bad, but I gave a shout anyway (haven't fitted a horn to this bike!). I was in the left wheel track of the lane approaching the turn.

Anyway, him and I were going to pretty much the same spot so I spotted him getting out of his ute and approached for a chat. Well he wasn't really interested, telling me how you shouldn't be on the road in his book etc blah blah, but I was calm and just tried to convey that overtaking anyone on a corner like that is unsafe.

My question is, is it? It's been happening to me a bit lately. A lot of the corners are quite wide and so I don't really think much of it, other than "you wouldn't do that to any other road user" and "you're looking right while I'm on your left in your blind spot, but yes, you're probably aware of me". But this corner was very tight. If he had have waited for me to be through it, it would've added about 5 seconds to his trip.

AndrewBurns

Re: Being overtaken when going around a corner at intersecti

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:14 am

It might anger idiots like him more but perhaps take the corner a lot wider? If you're right in the middle of the lane when you corner then it will be physically impossible for them to overtake you without running you over (though some people will do just that).

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:23 am

Yeah, I did think of that, and if I'm approaching a T-intersection from the road that intersects with the through road then I make a point of doing this. But in this situation, I wasn't too far right because most traffic continues straight through this intersection on the two lane road I was approaching it on. I usually stay left so that cars can get past me - not because I don't feel like I should be there or anything, more to be courteous.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:35 pm

Lemme guess, he was wearing waaaaay oversize shiny shoes and had a bulbous red nose?

Agree with the general sentiments, give a clown room and they'll try to make a joke of your survival.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:56 pm

yes its unsafe.

Similar situation is those turn left at any time lanes at traffic lights. Whole bunch of cars lined up and the cyclist sticks to the left and goes onto the main road (onto the cycle lane). It appears a easy merge, if the car turning left decides to cut close to the apex at the right/wrong time, the cyclist is going to be in trouble.

I this situation I always wait behind the first car, look and see if there is a steady stream of traffic coming before moving on.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Unsafe, illegal.... and a prat to boot.

Always make sure you take plenty of space for your speedy corner. You shoulda been going way faster than a 4WD hulk, cornering on your bike, anyway.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:11 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
Anyway, him and I were going to pretty much the same spot so I spotted him getting out of his ute and approached for a chat. Well he wasn't really interested, telling me how you shouldn't be on the road in his book etc blah blah, but I was calm and just tried to convey that overtaking anyone on a corner like that is unsafe.

It amuses me that some people don’t think it through. Like people who steal car parks. Dude, you just ticked someone off in your car, now you’re going to walk away and leave your car unattended whilst the other person seethes in anger? :roll:
2012 Oppy A4

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 pm

The australian road rules requires that a driver turning left keep as far left as practical. This would seem to prohibit overtaking when making a left turn.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:06 pm

myforwik wrote:The australian road rules requires that a driver turning left keep as far left as practical. This would seem to prohibit overtaking when making a left turn.
Not really, if the cyclist stays as left as is practical, then there will be room (or perceived to be enough room) for a car to overtake on the outside. It would no be practical for the car to stay as left as possible since there is a bike there.

Anyways, to the OP I suggest either slowing down so you can stop. I would have stopped when the car was level with me. Would not have been a nice stop ... but I would never take on a car in that situation. Or take up more space, screw the courteous to other road users bit if it's going to put you in a more dangerous position, as you said it would only be for a brief period.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:42 pm

I love intersections... /sarcasm off

I don't care who I annoy, when it comes to intersections the lane is mine, absolutely and fully mine. It's safer for everyone that way.

Ride wider next time to ensure noone can over take you on the corner.
2010 BMC SLC01

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Just a question, did u indicate that u were turning left.

I sometimes dont give a hand signal that I'm turning left if there is a vehicle close behind me.

Tends to make them think I'm going straight on and hopefully the wont 'left hook' me....

If they do come up beside me I can be ready for their left movement and avoid them.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 am

Here is your problem Pete. You didn't follow the advice of the Police Safety Council (1940's safety advice it seems) ... :D

Yes I know it is a "right" turn equivalent.

Andrew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I wonder how the ute driver would react if a motorbike pulled that same stunt
fictional ute driver wrote:I was driving into my work complex which has it's own legal and public road network, indicating to go left at an intersection (from the through road of a T-intersection to the adjoining road). Then some lunatic on a motorbike appears next to me, also indicating, and proceeds to overtake me on the corner with his back wheel level with me. He came pretty close but it wasn't too bad, but I ...
hit the horn and gave him a free and frank character assessment ??