Roadworks - drummoyne

Strawburger

Re: Roadworks - drummoyne

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:27 am

JV911 wrote: do you know anything about what's going on around lyons rd west?

is it me or are they narrowing the road??? the west-bound cycle lane was only 1m wide to begin with and east-bound non-existant :roll:
Not sure what works they have going on up there. There shouldn't be anything near vic rd as the cycleway stuff is all on the east side, the road doesn't narrow on the upgrades to vic rd, so it must be a local council project.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 am

Strawburger wrote:
JV911 wrote: do you know anything about what's going on around lyons rd west?

is it me or are they narrowing the road??? the west-bound cycle lane was only 1m wide to begin with and east-bound non-existant :roll:
Not sure what works they have going on up there. There shouldn't be anything near vic rd as the cycleway stuff is all on the east side, the road doesn't narrow on the upgrades to vic rd, so it must be a local council project.
I think Jeremy is referring to the road work at Canada Bay end where the road turns around the old golf driving range. Went through there a few weeks ago and saw the road crew but not sure where they are at right now. The Canada Bay BUGs are usually pretty active and I am surprised if they didn't have an input here.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:37 am

sogood wrote:I think Jeremy is referring to the road work at Canada Bay end where the road turns around the old golf driving range.
exactly

they've torn up the old kerbs/gutters - the new kerbing is quite a bit higher than the old level (must be raising the level of the road) and IMO moved inwards
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:47 am

aah, crane st/lyons rd. I am not sure why they would be reducing the width of the road there. It is very wide and fairly tight for large vehicles (trucks need that extra space to get around that corner. It also looks like they are installing a footpath around that area.

I could have a guess here (so don't take it as this is what they are doing). Perhaps they are forcing the cyclist to head up edith ave to avoid the tight bend near the school. Or they could be installing shared use paths, narrowing the road and gaining enough space for the shared path.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:48 am

i should also add that area is prone to flooding in heavy rainfall so they are probably correcting the road grades and drainage system to avoid further flooding, hence the higher kerb.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 am

checked it out yesteday - devinately 0.5m narrower i.e. the width of the old bike lane

anyone know the logic behind removing the left turn lane off lyons rd onto victoria rd (i.e victoria rd north bound)??
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:43 am

JV911 wrote: anyone know the logic behind removing the left turn lane off lyons rd onto victoria rd (i.e victoria rd north bound)??
It's not being removed. It will now be a signalised left turn. Safer for pedestrians at the bus stop, dedicated bus stop lane (better flow for the traffic), plus there are going to be some monster traffic signals stretching over the lanes. Vic Rd Drummoyne as you knew it will be totally different...

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:11 am

Strawburger wrote:Vic Rd Drummoyne as you knew it will be totally different...
I hope that includes stopping parking on the westbound side during the morning rush hour - the delays that causes drives me mad when I have to get the bus to work :evil:

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am

gavinr wrote:
Strawburger wrote:Vic Rd Drummoyne as you knew it will be totally different...
I hope that includes stopping parking on the westbound side during the morning rush hour - the delays that causes drives me mad when I have to get the bus to work :evil:
city-bound traffic on saturday is worse than weekday due to the parked cars
Strawburger wrote:better flow for the traffic
not for traffic coming off lyons rd!

you now have to wait for the lights where previously it was a "turn left at any time after stopping" type arrangement
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 am

JV911 wrote:
Strawburger wrote:better flow for the traffic
not for traffic coming off lyons rd!

you now have to wait for the lights where previously it was a "turn left at any time after stopping" type arrangement
I think they are trying to get better flow for that intersection for the buses on vic rd rather than the cars on lyons rd. They may well be aiming to deflect the traffic down through Westbourne St to turn left instead of turning left at lyons rd.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 pm

Strawburger wrote:Any more cycling related feedback on this area (i have an involvement in the project and am interested how it turned out)?
Someone needs to trim the tree that's next to the new westbound cut-through in the middle of Wrights Road. I'm very aware of the fact that the lower branches hide me from motorists who've just turned left off Victoria Road to go up Seymour Street, but from the look on the face of the driver I waited for yesterday, he didn't see me until he was passing the tree :-)

Other than that it's all good from my POV. Still waiting to see what's happening at Cary Street though.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 am

wrights rd being resealed (yet again) today and tomorrow
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Strawburger wrote:The Cary st intersection is open for discussion at a very high level so debates continue what to do with that dodgy arrangement as it stands.
Looks like it is being replaced with something dodgier :-(

The Bus Stop seems to be moving closer to Cary Street. From how it currently looks, anyone who comes down the 'dead end' part of Roseby St and uses the new bike path down to the Cary/Victoria junction will now have no view of left turning traffic, as it will be obscured by buses/bus stop/passengers. So it will still be 'take your life in your hands' as you cross Cary to get on to the (existing) Lane Cove Bridge shared path.

The current arrangement at that junction is not good. When you're waiting to cross it's difficult to identify left turning traffic. I don't see that what is replacing it is any better from a cyclist or pedestrian viewpoint.

gavinr

Postby gavinr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am

gavinr wrote:Good news - there are now 'bike gaps' in the barrier between the two parts of Wrights Road at the Seymour Street junction.
Bad news - overnight these 'bike gaps' have had the biggest speed humps I have ever seen inserted into them.

These have flat, angled (not smooth/rounded) sides, are about 10cm high and have the potential to seriously damage your wheels on the downhill stretch. And I see no need for them on the uphill side.

There is no signage alerting you to the new additions, so do take care.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:45 pm

gavinr wrote:
gavinr wrote:Good news - there are now 'bike gaps' in the barrier between the two parts of Wrights Road at the Seymour Street junction.
Bad news - overnight these 'bike gaps' have had the biggest speed humps I have ever seen inserted into them.

These have flat, angled (not smooth/rounded) sides, are about 10cm high and have the potential to seriously damage your wheels on the downhill stretch. And I see no need for them on the uphill side.

There is no signage alerting you to the new additions, so do take care.
yes.. what the hell are those bumps about? Are we not to be trusted to know there are roads (to give way) on either side?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:21 am

the road around the bay run is currently being "resurfaced"

you may want to use the bike/jogging/wandering aimlessly/dog/off-leash children path for now
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:32 pm

JV911 wrote:the road around the bay run is currently being "resurfaced"

you may want to use the bike/jogging/wandering aimlessly/dog/off-leash children path for now
That's a bit harsh - I have noticed a significant reduction in the number of dills on the bike path.

It's probably down to 1 or 2

Per trip

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Road is done. Smooth and fast...just hope they're planning on doing more than the 1km they've between Thompson and Brent streets. Around near rodd point is still crapola :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:56 pm

JV911 wrote:Road is done. Smooth and fast...just hope they're planning on doing more than the 1km they've between Thompson and Brent streets. Around near rodd point is still crapola :roll:
Thanks for the update. I'll have to give it a go soon.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:55 pm

The resurface is awesome! I did some laps around there on Saturday morning with a tailwind on the resurface. Easily holding > 40 kph and on one lap, where I got a bit of a draft from a car, was exceeding 50 kph.

The only downer was the moron (unsurprisingly in a Ute) who thought that I shouldn't be on the road and tooted and abused me as he roared past only for me to overtake him at the speed hump, claim the lane and slow down. Seemed to make him unhappier! Not sure why :)

Agree with the statement about Rodd Pt. I think I've still got some saddle struck somewhere!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:55 pm

Might want to be a bit careful if you are riding along the new stretch of tar - the house at 124 Henley Marine Drive lost its retaining wall Friday afternoon. THey were cleaning it up when I rode past, but if the rain keeps up I suspect there will be more debris on the road by the morning
Google street view