Dealing with curbs

Pravda

Dealing with curbs

Postby Pravda » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 am

Just want to know how everyone deals with those occasions where you need to jump up onto the footpath for whatever reason. My personal preference is to slow down and lift the front wheel up before taking my weight off the back end. Though i have considered just bunny hopping up curbs at higher speeds but I've been too scared ill damage my rim/frame coming down.
Not that this stops me hopping over the occasional puddle or speedhump during my rides.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

zero

Re: Dealing with curbs

Postby zero » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:27 pm

More likely to damage a rim or pinch flat going up imo. Coming down the only technique required is to unweight the frame (ie weight slightly off the saddle on bent legs), and its not time sensitive like hopping is. On my roadbike, I nearly halt to climb up, but can go off a kerb from a sharepath at whatever speed I'm doing.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Pravda wrote:Just want to know how everyone deals with those occasions where you need to jump up onto the footpath for whatever reason. My personal preference is to slow down and lift the front wheel up before taking my weight off the back end. Though i have considered just bunny hopping up curbs at higher speeds but I've been too scared ill damage my rim/frame coming down.
Not that this stops me hopping over the occasional puddle or speedhump during my rides.
It really comes down to how fast your approach is. If slow, I do individual wheel lift(s). If going too fast to individual wheel lift but not fast enough to bunny hop, I may do a (fairly risky) sidewards bunny hop up a curb by traveling almost parallel to the curb before. Obviously if going > 20 Km/h a bunny hop should be fairly straight forward for most.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Bunny hop or Step Up, ie Lift the front up & as it lands lift the rear.
Also use this technique to avoid obstacles such as branches that you can't easily go round.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:41 pm

i think you're tempting fate routinely curb (kerb?) hopping with 23c tyres