M7 Shared Pathway Water

Nic.

M7 Shared Pathway Water

Postby Nic. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi

So I emailed Westlink M7 about the possibility of getting more bubblers on the M7, to summarise their response, they said 'no'!

I'd suggested a 3 way cost split between Sydney Water, Westlink and the local council. I'm in Blacktown Council region. No interest.

So I wrote to the local paper, Blacktown Advocate, and they're interested in doing a story. They're taking photos tomorrow 1st March at 15:00 at the bubbler on the M7. Come along :)

I've written to Blacktown Council to gauge their response to this and to see if we can get some action.

I've created a Facebook group "Westlink M7 Shared Path - H2No", please if you have any interest in this at all, join it, comment on it, do something.

Now nothing may come of this, but I know lots of runners and cyclists who want more water sources on the path. If we don't ask, we don't get.

Enjoy

jules21

Re: M7 Shared Pathway Water

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 pm

good luck. we have a different problem on melbourne shared pathways - too much water. a lot of the paths do double duty as flood overflow reservoirs (being adjacent to creeks, the yarra river) so when it dumps down, they are flooded.

Nic.

Postby Nic. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks. :D Perhaps you could bottle the flood water and send it our way ;)

One water source for 40km of path is not enough. This is probably more of a runners issue than a cycling issue, but I'm sure there are hundreds of cyclists out there who want more water.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Yep, we need two more......at least. This has been brought up a few times. The main argument being that vandals would damage taps.

I think the only chance is if it's more like 75/25 council/m7.

Nic.

Postby Nic. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:15 pm

It's been raised all over the internet, but over the years I've discussed it, but never done anything. So this is my small attempt to make it happen.

Another 2 would be great. Both midway between each end and the existing bubbler.

The argument of vandals damaging the taps (Which is Westlinks argument) - The existing tap always appears to be working, so either it doesn't get vandalised or Westlink are on the ball with fixing it.

And if the situation was that bad, the existing tap would not exist, as Westlink so helpfully told me, they have no obligation to provide any water.

And if you look how much revenue from the M7 for 2010, an extra bubbler in the grand scheme of things is peanuts.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

Trust me Nic, you do not want to drink Moonee Ponds Creek water. :o (You'll have to imagins the multicoloured stream issuing from poor ol' Smileys mouth)

Good luck with your quest, it sounds eminently logical and sensible...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nic.

Postby Nic. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks Shaun. I'll pass on the creek water then!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Trust me Nic, you do not want to drink Moonee Ponds Creek water. :o (You'll have to imagins the multicoloured stream issuing from poor ol' Smileys mouth)
why not shaun? it's not like they discharge sewerage into it, is it? or do they? :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Not that I'm aware of Jules, but seeing as it's the stormwater drain for a large part of the inner nth west, it's usually got a lovely iridescent scum after rain. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nic.

Postby Nic. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:58 pm

The quest is gaining some momentum.

45 members of the Facebook group.
Photos with the local paper yesterday.
Support of other groups in the running community as you'll see if you look at the group.
MPs backing us and writing to the relevant people on our behalf.

Not bad for 2 days.

I spoke to a number of riders out there yesterday in the humidity, every one of them said they wanted more water sources.

So please, join the group http://www.facebook.com/groups/180675468699283/ and email Westlink at info@westlinkm7.com.au telling them you want more water.

:P

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Nic. wrote:So I wrote to the local paper, Blacktown Advocate, and they're interested in doing a story. They're taking photos tomorrow 1st March at 15:00 at the bubbler on the M7. Come along :)
How did it go Nic - it would be sadly ironic if your photo shoot had to be called off due to too much water falling from the sky.

Nic.

Postby Nic. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:42 pm

It was humid out there rather than wet. Just as well they did the photos near the bubbler or we'd have been gasping :lol: