Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Express

Timc89

Re: Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Expres

Postby Timc89 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 am

If battery size is an issue for you get this done
http://paintmybike.com.au/Di2Conversions.aspx

As for the tyres, I called CE on the weekend and got told they would send out Rubinos to me but I had to request it through an email (So far no reply). It is definitely not a deal breaker but I for some reason like to get what I paid for.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am

Timc89 wrote:If battery size is an issue for you get this done
http://paintmybike.com.au/Di2Conversions.aspx

As for the tyres, I called CE on the weekend and got told they would send out Rubinos to me but I had to request it through an email (So far no reply). It is definitely not a deal breaker but I for some reason like to get what I paid for.
I am curious as to when rubinos were advertised as the tyres on them?

The specs and pics that I have all show zaffiras.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes , I only ever remember seeing Zaffiro's in the specs.
I'm sure that is what was listed when I ordered mine last August.
Unless it changed at some point , then changed back.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:19 pm

The photos always showed Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.
But the written specs had Rubino back in early August 2011.
See below.

Specifications:

Sizes: S,M,L,XL
Frame: HM Carbon 12K
Fork: Azzurri High Modulus Carbon with Carbon steerer (hand made)
Groupset: FULL Shimano Ultegra Di2
Shifters: Shimano Ultegra Di2
Cranks: Shimano Ultegra 6700 53-39T
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-25T
Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra Di2
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultegra Di2
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Brakes: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra 6700
Wheelset: Reynolds Solitude
Tyres: Vittoria Rubino Pro
Handlebar: FSA RD305NS
Stem: FSA
Saddle: Fizik Arione
Seat Post: FSA carbon RK260
Headset: Integrated

Complete Bike Weight: 7.4kg

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:13 pm

I dropped into Cycles Skills at The Shed (Seventeen Mile Rocks) this morning and the guys had just built one up. they have a deal going with CE whereby they sell some of CE's bikes up and charge them for it, but CE gets to sell the bikes off a showroom floor.
Anyway, one of these is sitting beside a 'Dale Evo with Dura Ace Di2 atm. It's nowhere close on weight (the Evo is only just over 6kg and illegal) but for what you pay it looks bloody fantastic.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:18 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:I dropped into Cycles Skills at The Shed (Seventeen Mile Rocks) this morning and the guys had just built one up. they have a deal going with CE whereby they sell some of CE's bikes up and charge them for it, but CE gets to sell the bikes off a showroom floor.
Anyway, one of these is sitting beside a 'Dale Evo with Dura Ace Di2 atm. It's nowhere close on weight (the Evo is only just over 6kg and illegal) but for what you pay it looks bloody fantastic.
gah - am now tempted to go over to cycleskills and have a look. can't this weekend though. but next monday.......

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Toyopet wrote:The photos always showed Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.
See below.

Specifications:

OK , must of been the picture I was thinking of.
Wasn't sure on the spec sheet.

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:59 pm

ozzymac wrote:I am curious as to when rubinos were advertised as the tyres on them?
They were listed in the specs from the beginning of the deal until this week (or last week?).

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Toyopet wrote:The photos always showed Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.
See below.

Specifications:

Ok, that was back in August, so when we're they changed? As the people complaining ordered for February delivery, as I am sure it was changed end of January when I ordered mine.

Cheers

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:51 pm

ozzymac wrote:Ok, that was back in August, so when we're they changed? As the people complaining ordered for February delivery, as I am sure it was changed end of January when I ordered mine.
mezla wrote:
ozzymac wrote:I am curious as to when rubinos were advertised as the tyres on them?
They were listed in the specs from the beginning of the deal until this week (or last week?).

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:04 pm

mezla wrote:
ozzymac wrote:Ok, that was back in August, so when we're they changed? As the people complaining ordered for February delivery, as I am sure it was changed end of January when I ordered mine.
mezla wrote: They were listed in the specs from the beginning of the deal until this week (or last week?).
Point of quoting me?

As you said they were in the specs until a week or so ago?

I think they were changed before then.
cheers

Ps: mine arrived yesterday, finished setting it up today and took it for a ride.
A fair bit different to the Cannondale. First thing I noticed was the handlebars were a lot narrower. Upon measuring when I got back about 3cms narrower.

Steering feels very touch also compared to the canondale.

Gear shifting is pretty amazing though.
Nice looking bike.

Overall not bad.

But I do have a clunk in the front end. It seems like there is some free play when you wiggle the forks. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Cheers again.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:38 pm

BikeExchangeAd STILL (as at 4.30pm 29/02/2012) lists the Rubino Pro's
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

mezla

Postby mezla » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:17 pm

ozzymac wrote:But I do have a clunk in the front end
I had a clunk in the front end which turned out to be a warped tyre. Might be worth checking if you haven't already.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Timc89 wrote: As for the tyres, I called CE on the weekend and got told they would send out Rubinos to me but I had to request it through an email (So far no reply). It is definitely not a deal breaker but I for some reason like to get what I paid for.
Has anyone actually heard from Cycling Express, or even been sent the Rubino Pro tyres?

My Azzurri also came with the Zaffiro tyres, despite it being advertised at the time of purchase as coming with the Rubino Pros. (I still have a printout of the original specs when I bought the bike). I didn't notice it until I read this forum, and also because I don't know much about tyres. But it does seem the supplied Zaffiros are quite a step down from the advertised Rubino Pros. I think if that's what was advertised, that is what we can expect to recieve. After all, if they advertised the bike as having a carbon frame and we all got an aluminium frame instead we would definitely be jumping up and down wouldn't we?

Timc89

Postby Timc89 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Apparently there are no Rubinos in the country. They are sorting the issue out now. I have been dealing with Peter, he is really helpful

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 pm

It seems they do it with other items they sell to.

I ordered a few other things at the same time as them bike one of which was lube.

Received a bottle different to what I ordered, complained and they sent me another bottle of some other lube which was $4 cheaper than what I paid for.

Not impressed with them.

Cheers

mezla

Postby mezla » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 am

Arlberg wrote:Has anyone actually heard from Cycling Express, or even been sent the Rubino Pro tyres?
I heard back from them promptly, and I received my Rubinos a few days later.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,
Can someone tell me what the standard Cassette size is on the Azzuri?

Also to work out the size do you just count the number of teeth on the biggest and smallest cogs?

Cheers

rebem

Postby rebem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:00 pm

ozzymac wrote:Hi,
Can someone tell me what the standard Cassette size is on the Azzuri?

Also to work out the size do you just count the number of teeth on the biggest and smallest cogs?
12-25 on mine.

Yes, you just count the first and last and typically (though not always) it is one of Shimano's standard sets.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:58 am

Arlberg wrote:
Timc89 wrote: As for the tyres, I called CE on the weekend and got told they would send out Rubinos to me but I had to request it through an email (So far no reply). It is definitely not a deal breaker but I for some reason like to get what I paid for.
Has anyone actually heard from Cycling Express, or even been sent the Rubino Pro tyres?

My Azzurri also came with the Zaffiro tyres, despite it being advertised at the time of purchase as coming with the Rubino Pros. (I still have a printout of the original specs when I bought the bike). I didn't notice it until I read this forum, and also because I don't know much about tyres. But it does seem the supplied Zaffiros are quite a step down from the advertised Rubino Pros. I think if that's what was advertised, that is what we can expect to recieve. After all, if they advertised the bike as having a carbon frame and we all got an aluminium frame instead we would definitely be jumping up and down wouldn't we?
Difference between the two tyres is only $17 - Rubino is only worth $28 so it's nothing special anyway. Most people wouldn't be able to pick the difference in ride and handling. A carbon vs aluminium frame is a lot different. The whole bike is only really entry level anyway, I haven't saeen any pro teams riding Azzurris. Just ride it and stop fussing over minor details like tyres.

Sounds like there was a supply isue with Rubino tyres (as I guessed in my earlier post) and so instead of delaying sending out the bikes that people have already been waiting months for, CE whacked on another set of the same brand of tyre and shipped the bikes out.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:37 am

Ross wrote:
Arlberg wrote:

Difference between the two tyres is only $17 - Rubino is only worth $28 so it's nothing special anyway. Most people wouldn't be able to pick the difference in ride and handling. A carbon vs aluminium frame is a lot different. The whole bike is only really entry level anyway, I haven't saeen any pro teams riding Azzurris. Just ride it and stop fussing over minor details like tyres.

Sounds like there was a supply isue with Rubino tyres (as I guessed in my earlier post) and so instead of delaying sending out the bikes that people have already been waiting months for, CE whacked on another set of the same brand of tyre and shipped the bikes out.

The point is though, that it would of been common courtesy to let buyers know if there was a problem supplying a advertised part of the bike that people had paid for upfront.

Communication is the key to good business.

And also on the point of it being only $17 difference lets say 50 x 17 = $850 a little bit extra in the pocket. Every bit helps.

Cheers

paulz

Postby paulz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:10 pm

I didn't really care about the bike arriving with a different tyre. I changed mine to Conti's GP4000s. Anyway all of this is a bit off topic. There are other forums that deal with CE service and tyres. I am looking forward to hearing about other's experience with the bike. My opinion hasn't changed from my earlier posts. Darn good value for money. I had one LBS tell me they would struggle to get the Ui2 group set for the price of the bike.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Yes , thanks Paulz for bringing us back on topic... Reviews......

Battery life for Di2.
Have done 1850 ks on a charge so far , it is showing solid red light on the battery gauge.
That equates to 25-50% charge left.
So for me that means , easily 2k in-between charges , thats 2 months riding for a 90 minute charge time. :D
Whats the charge life of the battery meant to be, 500 charges??

I think that means , the battery is going to outlast me by a long way.......... :shock:

Yep still happy with mine , would not buy another bike without electronic shifting.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:23 pm

ozzymac wrote:
The point is though, that it would of been common courtesy to let buyers know if there was a problem supplying a advertised part of the bike that people had paid for upfront.

Communication is the key to good business.

And also on the point of it being only $17 difference lets say 50 x 17 = $850 a little bit extra in the pocket. Every bit helps.

Cheers

I'm sure CE are going to shut up shop and retire to the Bahamas with a massive profit like that. :roll: CE are losing profit by sending out a free set of tyres to the whingers.

Maybe CE have been busy doing stuff... like sourcing unreal deals on carbon bikes with UDi2 for $2600 and didn't have time or just forgot to notify customers about the tyres.

mezla

Postby mezla » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I DECLARE THE TYRES ARGUMENT BORING AND TYRED ( :lol: )
Move along imo... lots of valid points... just people have different levels of expectation, so noone is right and noone is wrong.

Having done >500kms and broken the PBs on my two most common routes, I can say I am very happy with the bike. The shifting is really quite wonderful... it has a positive effect both psychologically and physically IMO. Shifting while standing/sprinting is effortless and perfect every time. I haven't ever had a carbon bike before, but I can't imagine that this frame could not be considered stiff... I'm 90kg and not weak, and I feel a lot of power transferred to the road when I sprint.

I'm still tweaking my geometry a bit - saddle angle, height and position, and I may change the angle of my bars (which also came installed ever so slightly crooked), but I find the bike very comfortable and stable... pretty much a joy to ride. I replaced the saddle because it was a bit hard and small for my liking.

Pic here: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 55#p768655