Doing the wrong thing fines and demerits

t_mhulme

Doing the wrong thing fines and demerits

Postby t_mhulme » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 pm

This may have been done before if so please point me to this discussion, but as a bike rider if I run a light or exceed the speed limit do the police have the power to fine or can they also take points from your car license ?

Comedian

Re: Doing the wrong thing fines and demerits

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:15 pm

What state are you in?

t_mhulme

Postby t_mhulme » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm

My bad Im in NSW

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Fine and Points in NSW

Ribz

Postby Ribz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Qld is the same. Fine and points.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Sorry for stating the obvious, but don't do it (run red lights etc).... :wink:

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:02 pm

gururug wrote:Fine and Points in NSW

really ??

I am interested as in, can you provide a link ??

As it is pointed out by aushiker, it is only fine in wa, and no points.
The same as in victoria.

I highly doubt it is different elsewhere..
I had a quick look, and can not find any cycling related offenses that wil get you demerit points..

In the sub cycling section part 15 of the legislation, nothing is mentioned for speeding. :D
nor does any offense mention demerit points.
The only demrit point related to speeding are for drivers,
as the nsw legislation clearly states ; A driver is the person who is driving a vehicle (except a motor bike, bicycle, animal or animal-drawn vehicle).

So as I read the legislation, no demerits for bicycles.

feel free to prove me wrong. 8)

p.s., you can search for demerit offences, so I typed in bicycle..
Only come up with 4 options, and all of them are offenses made by motorists.... :D
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/index ... or=bicycle
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Was thinking of DUI.

philip

Postby philip » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 am

damhooligan wrote:feel free to prove me wrong. 8)
I know for sure a mate of mine has had points taken off his drivers licence for running a red light on his bike in NSW.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:14 am

philip wrote:
I know for sure a mate of mine has had points taken off his drivers licence for running a red light on his bike in NSW.
that could also mean the cop who booked him did not know the rules....

i think if your mate challenged those demerit points, he could get them returned..
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

invisable

Postby invisable » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:18 pm

Hi just reading your post, I know someone who was fined for NOT exceeding the speed limit, but the cops fined him because they determined he was going to fast for the vehicle he was on, it was some time ago, but he was doing about 70km in an 80km zone "down hill ".

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm

invisable wrote:Hi just reading your post, I know someone who was fined for NOT exceeding the speed limit, but the cops fined him because they determined he was going to fast for the vehicle he was on, it was some time ago, but he was doing about 70km in an 80km zone "down hill ".
Sounds like some police officers are making up the rules as they go along.

Unless there were other unreported factors involved in relation to other traffic on the road, pedestrian crossing etc. that is a not fine I would cop on the chin. :roll:

t_mhulme

Postby t_mhulme » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:30 pm

OK now Im confused, obviously dont run a red ! but the speeding thing is intriguing !
Im in a country town that has a notoriously fast piece of public road used for the odd motor race ...
I can easily exceed 80ks where it is a 60 k limit and we often have the boys and girls in blue patrolling that section of road.
so from what I understand, and thanks for all the input on the topic by the way, but if im caught I can cop a fine and also lose points so be it.
but if I dont have a car license for whatever reason, I only get the fine ?? yet the license only applies to driving a car. - sounds a little lopsided to me.

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:59 pm

damhooligan wrote:
philip wrote:
that could also mean the cop who booked him did not know the rules....

i think if your mate challenged those demerit points, he could get them returned..
I doubt it.

Who is a rider: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... N?tocnav=y

References to driver include rider: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... N?tocnav=y

The road rules (http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewt ... 008+fn+0+N) define a bicycle rider as a rider (the same as a motorcycle rider) and a rider is defined as a driver. Therefore all fines and demerits that apply to a driver apply to a rider...
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

Euan

Postby Euan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Demerit points do not apply to cyclists. That doesn't mean the cops won't put the paperwork in, it's up to you to contest it. I got cited for claiming the lane in the CBD, contested it, dropped.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:06 am

Euan wrote:Demerit points do not apply to cyclists. That doesn't mean the cops won't put the paperwork in, it's up to you to contest it. I got cited for claiming the lane in the CBD, contested it, dropped.
+1, I have been fined for what amounts to essentially “claiming the lane” at least half a dozen times over the last 30+ years. I have contested every infringement and won every time without the requirement to attend court.

Never let the ignorance of a few "Law Enforcement Officer" and the general motoring public deter you from operating your non-motorised vehicle in a manner that assure your safety; claim your lane and relish the safety, the alternative is not a safety strategy. :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:23 pm

A friend got done for running a red light the other day. She was following the bunch through and it was red for her but she continued and then "whoop" from the siren and she was nicked. A $110 fine an NO DEMERIT POINTS was the outcome. :)

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:13 pm

ruscook wrote:
damhooligan wrote:
philip wrote:that could also mean the cop who booked him did not know the rules....

I doubt it.

Who is a rider: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... N?tocnav=y

References to driver include rider: http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragv ... N?tocnav=y

The road rules (http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewt ... 008+fn+0+N) define a bicycle rider as a rider (the same as a motorcycle rider) and a rider is defined as a driver. Therefore all fines and demerits that apply to a driver apply to a rider...
No, see Road Transport (Driver Licensing) Act 1998 (NSW) which says, relevantly:

15 Offences for which demerit points are incurred
(1) The regulations may prescribe:
(a) the offences (relating to the driving or use of motor vehicles), and the number of demerit points incurred for each offence [...] and
(b) additional offences (relating to the driving or use of motor vehicles) created under a law of this State for which demerit points may be incurred [...]
(2) The Authority may, by notice published in the Gazette:
(a) recognise offences (relating to the driving or use of motor vehicles) created under a law of this State [...] and
(b) specify the number of demerit points incurred for each of those offences.

There is no mention that I can find in this or any other NSW Act that allows a regulation to specify demerit points for offences committed by a cyclist.