Bike Bags

For Australian Cyclists travelling and touring OS

Bike Bags

Postby Fluidz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Hey guys,

My last post on stuff I need is a bike bag and JetStar has the following conditions for a bike to be accepted:

Code: Select all
Bicycles will not be accepted for carriage unless they are suitably packed in a Bike Pack. Jetstar does not provide Bike Packs at the airport, so it is your responsibility to obtain one before your travel date. The bike must be packed in the following condition:

Tyres must be deflated.
Pedals must be removed.
Handle bars must be fixed parallel to the frame.
If the bicycle’s length exceeds 180cm, the front wheel should be removed and fixed next to the rear wheel, within the pack.
If the Bike Pack constitutes excess baggage, then excess baggage charges will apply.


With that said what is a good, cheap solution?

Thanks for any help,

Fluidz
Fluidz
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm

by BNA » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 pm

BNA
 

Re: Bike Bags

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Don't fly Jetstar?
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18437
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Bike Bags

Postby Fluidz » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:29 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't fly Jetstar?


If we don't we will have to pay hundreds more for the flights, this will work out a lot cheaper. Is this bag good enough?

Code: Select all
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vaude/bike-bag-pro-ec021734#reviews


We were thinking of lining it with cardboard, Styrofoam and old bed sheets. So essentially some makeshift padding,
Fluidz
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Bike Bags

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:59 pm

It really p!sses me off, the attitude of airlines (and some rail & bus services) to the simple task of transporting a bicycle.

Overseas in Europe, UK and other places, one recommendation for bicycle packing is this, for convenience, easier handling and awarenes of the baggage handlers (hence less damage).

Image


The Vaude bike bag will be fine (if you don't mind pulling your bike down - wheels, mudguards, racks off). Ground Effect do a similar bag calle the Tardis, but it does weigh ~4kgs apparently. Cardboard stiffener/packing is a good idea.

PS. Avoid letting your tyres down, at least not below 50-60psi. The risk of a tyre explosion in mid-air is miniscule, especially as the baggage hold is pressurised. Even in a total loss of cabin pressure, the tyres will still readily handle the 8-10psi increase in relative pressure :roll: If you do let all the air out of the tyres (like the airline's staff will tell you) you risk rim damge as the bike is dropped/tossed about :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18437
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 pm

I have a Ground Effect Tardis. I got it based on some solid personal recommendations but I'm yet to use it in anger. It's 1.5kg and folds to about 1.5 to 2 reams of A4 paper.

Unfortunately, right after I ordered mine, a mate moved over from NZ with his newly restored Peugeot and when he unpacked it he had a tacoed wheel. On reflection, it seems that, because the rim was a Mavic Open Sport with a pinned joint rather than a welded one, some sustained pressure on the rim caused the joint to break.

Image

I'm using mine on a plane to Perth in a couple of weeks to test it out.
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby Fluidz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:23 am

WestcoastPete wrote:I have a Ground Effect Tardis. I got it based on some solid personal recommendations but I'm yet to use it in anger. It's 1.5kg and folds to about 1.5 to 2 reams of A4 paper.

Unfortunately, right after I ordered mine, a mate moved over from NZ with his newly restored Peugeot and when he unpacked it he had a tacoed wheel. On reflection, it seems that, because the rim was a Mavic Open Sport with a pinned joint rather than a welded one, some sustained pressure on the rim caused the joint to break.

Image

I'm using mine on a plane to Perth in a couple of weeks to test it out.


Thanks mate. I have ordered one of these for myself after checking reviews and such, very pleased to see it folds into such a tiny size. Many thanks so far for all your help :DDD
Fluidz
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Folded Tardis compared with Carlsberg stubby for scale:

Image

Image
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby scirocco » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:49 pm

If low cost is the most important thing, a cardboard bike box (free from the LBS) can easily be modified to fit a bike in it with the wheels off. Add cheapo bubble-wrap and polystyrene packaging inside it and you're good to go. Has worked for three trips to Europe for me, but I spent a fair bit of time with boxcutter and tape.

If you value your time then buy one of the commercially available boxes or bags.
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm

scirocco wrote:If low cost is the most important thing, a cardboard bike box (free from the LBS) can easily be modified to fit a bike in it with the wheels off. Add cheapo bubble-wrap and polystyrene packaging inside it and you're good to go. Has worked for three trips to Europe for me, but I spent a fair bit of time with boxcutter and tape.

If you value your time then buy one of the commercially available boxes or bags.


I've done that too and will certainly do it again. I bought the bag because:

- I don't have to worry about sourcing a box in an unknown place
- I can ride to and from the airport
- I can use it during the trip for buses/trains/internal flights
- I can sling it over my shoulder with the linen skip bag full of panniers over the other shoulder

Of course, it's a heavy thing to carry around and you have to dismantle the bike a lot more than a box, but I'm going to give it a whirl...
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:44 pm

I've come across a little problem while packing my bike into the Tardis for the first time.

With the wheels tucked in and the frame in the middle, the disk rotors were leaning up against the frame - perfectly positioned to be bent by the slightest knock. So, the disk rotors need to be removed. To do this with the Rohloff, I need to partially disassemble external gearbox axle plate, which requires a T20 Torx bit and a marker. The SON deluxe uses a cassette lock ring kind of tool to remove the rotor, so that's another tool I'll need to carry and more dismantling to do.

So yeah, more tools, more dismantling of something that already needs a lot of dismantling. I'm not put off yet though. I'm getting to know the bike more at least...
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby scirocco » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm curious to know how much padding you were able to fit in the bag. Is there room to get some sheets of cardboard or something down the sides of the bag? Or between the wheels and frame? Did you pad the frame at all?
scirocco
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:32 pm

scirocco wrote:I'm curious to know how much padding you were able to fit in the bag. Is there room to get some sheets of cardboard or something down the sides of the bag? Or between the wheels and frame? Did you pad the frame at all?


I'll tell you later when I've actually finished packing it...
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Well it took quite a while to dismantle the bike and get it packed up, and then to reassemble it at the other end. I'm pretty slow and steady at these kinds of tasks though; I reckon I could do it more quickly and will do with more practice.

Padding the bag out with cardboard and rags was easy. I put some cardboard over the flat panels on the outside of the wheels and ran strips of cardboard around the narrow edge of the bag on both legs of the trip - I reckon this works pretty well to help prevent compression of the bag.

Image
Packed Ground Effect Yards

The bit of foam in the picture wasn't used on the trip back, but the bike still arrived intact (although I haven't reassembled it yet).

I'm pretty happy with the Tardis and will use it again.
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Image

Kiwis, as usual, are all over it... This is at Auckland Airport apparently...
Last edited by WestcoastPete on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby baghwan » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:14 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Kiwis, as usual, are all over it... This is at Auckland Airport apparently...


Something went wrong with your image on my end I think.

Here is a imgur link

http://i.imgur.com/24Gd3.jpg
baghwan
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 am

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:46 am

Ta mate. Fixed it.
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby coffeeandwine » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks for your posts, looking at the Ground Effect Tardis, so your info has been very helpful.

GE suggest removing rear derrailleur-is this required?

Has anyone any experience with the Torpedo 7 Soft bike bag with wheels, looks similar size to the Tardis??

Is there any extra room for bike gear, knicks, jackets, shoes,bottles. I presume helmets wont fit?

We had been looking at hiring bikes when we get to our destination, but now considering purchase of bike bags (similar cost to one week bike hire) and if need be paying QANTAS $20 for extra baggage allowance.
Image
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
User avatar
coffeeandwine
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm
Location: Buninyong, Vic

Re: Bike Bags

Postby Meditator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 pm

I'm not sure where you are going but $20 for extra allowance is not at all a bad deal. How many extra kilos do you get. Really its very difficult to keep everything under 23kg + 7kg onboard - if you are using a box it will weigh about 3kg. However, if the bag you but weighs about the same, why would you bother. Tracking down a box in a foreign country is just an interesting part of the experience. see my picture. http://www.photoblog.com/ShangriLa/2008/02/14/ I've got to say i love travelling through this part of Delhi on a rickshaw. I've even ridden my bike through something similar. That said, it would be less hassle to be able to ride to the airport and whip out your bike bag thereby saving you a taxi fare. If your trip is short maybe a bike bag is not a big deal but if you are travelling for months, it wouldn't be worth it at all in my opinion.

Still i probably wouldn't ever bother with a bike bag. You can always find boxes at bike shops.
Meditator
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:57 pm
Location: North of Cairns

Re: Bike Bags

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Kiwis, as usual, are all over it... This is at Auckland Airport apparently...

Yes - there are similar facilities at Christchurch Airport.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Bike Bags

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 pm

I've posted this information elsewhere, but I think it's probably more relevant to post in this thread,

I've been interested in the Tardis for some time, but have stuck to my wheeled bag as I've found it difficult to handle bike bag and panniers at the airport when I'm travelling solo. Brisbane Airport is a bloody pita when it come to getting into the terminal from the passenger drop-off lane. But the bag weighs 7.5 kgs empty, and with changes to airline sporting goods policies and steep excess baggage charges I'm reluctant to continue using it. So for my flight to NZ later this year, I'm tossing up between the Tardis and a cardboard bike box with a wheel caddy attached.
Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 pm

coffeeandwine wrote:Thanks for your posts, looking at the Ground Effect Tardis, so your info has been very helpful.

GE suggest removing rear derrailleur-is this required?


I'd definitely unbolt the RD and strap it to the chain stay (after wrapping it in a rag), and perhaps protect the derailleur hanger with some clothing. My bike has an IHG so no derailleur issues though.

coffeeandwine wrote:Has anyone any experience with the Torpedo 7 Soft bike bag with wheels, looks similar size to the Tardis??

Is there any extra room for bike gear, knicks, jackets, shoes,bottles. I presume helmets wont fit?


There is plenty of room for extra stuff in the bag with the bike. GE suggest putting clothes etc in to help protect bits. I managed to fit my bike, front and rear racks, fenders, 5 bidons (2 for my wife) and there was room for my helmet.

coffeeandwine wrote:We had been looking at hiring bikes when we get to our destination, but now considering purchase of bike bags (similar cost to one week bike hire) and if need be paying QANTAS $20 for extra baggage allowance.


Qantas charge $20 for an extra piece of checked baggage up to 23Kg at the moment; I used this option to check my bike in plus the panniers on my last short tour. I didn't bother saying it was a bike when I booked the ticket. I checked it in via the oversized baggage service - that's where it came out in Perth, but it came out on the conveyer in Darwin, which was fine.

RonK wrote:But the bag weighs 7.5 kgs empty


Tardis weighs 1.5kg doesn't it?
Last edited by WestcoastPete on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:
RonK wrote:But the bag weighs 7.5 kgs empty


Tardis weighs 1.5kg doesn't it?

I'm referring to my wheeled bag, which has an internal frame and castors, and weighs 7.5 kgs empty. That's why I'm looking at alternatives...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Bike Bags

Postby elStado » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Great thread. Bookmarked. I'm still deciding whether I will take my bike over or just buy one there to avoid the hassle and cost of taking it. However I would really like to have my own bike when OS and have been researching the various options for packing the bike together. The Tardis looks pretty good aside from having to spend a bit of extra time dis/reassembling it. A lot easier to carry around/to the airport than a big, heavy cardboard bike box. I'll be staying with my family for a few weeks and getting picked up from the airport in Germany, so I'll have the time and space to reassemble the bike and leave any extras behind such as the bag.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Bike Bags

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:07 am

RonK wrote:
WestcoastPete wrote:
RonK wrote:But the bag weighs 7.5 kgs empty


Tardis weighs 1.5kg doesn't it?

I'm referring to my wheeled bag, which has an internal frame and castors, and weighs 7.5 kgs empty. That's why I'm looking at alternatives...


Ah, righto. Ta.

elStado wrote:Great thread. Bookmarked. I'm still deciding whether I will take my bike over or just buy one there to avoid the hassle and cost of taking it. However I would really like to have my own bike when OS and have been researching the various options for packing the bike together. The Tardis looks pretty good aside from having to spend a bit of extra time dis/reassembling it. A lot easier to carry around/to the airport than a big, heavy cardboard bike box. I'll be staying with my family for a few weeks and getting picked up from the airport in Germany, so I'll have the time and space to reassemble the bike and leave any extras behind such as the bag.


I reckon I'd be pretty tempted with just using a box if I was heading to a place where I was being picked up and taken to a nice place to assemble the bike, and then not need to pack the bike up again until the end of the trip. They're pretty cumbersome, but they're not impossible to handle. The protect the bike well and require less disassembly, but they take up more room in the car at the other end. Hmm...

Don't go thinking about it too much eh...
User avatar
WestcoastPete
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Coburg, Victoria

Re: Bike Bags

Postby elStado » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:40 am

WestcoastPete wrote:I reckon I'd be pretty tempted with just using a box if I was heading to a place where I was being picked up and taken to a nice place to assemble the bike, and then not need to pack the bike up again until the end of the trip. They're pretty cumbersome, but they're not impossible to handle. The protect the bike well and require less disassembly, but they take up more room in the car at the other end. Hmm...


Good point. Mum's got a VW Polo which is a pretty small car.. I don't think the bike box + bike will fit in it without being pulled apart. It's a 200km drive to the airport from where they live so I might even have to take the train. So maybe the Tardis is a better option.

Don't go thinking about it too much eh...


Impossible. I am a chronic over thinker, I agonise over every little detail. Can't help it, it's hereditary (damn Germans). :wink:
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Next

Return to Touring Overseas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit