Vitus App'n Society

Mustang

Re: Vitus App'n Society

Postby Mustang » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:32 pm

high_tea wrote:
Mustang wrote:When I bought my Vitus I unknowingly purchased it with a Uniglide cassette (12/21) (7 speed), with a chain ring count of 53/39 on a 51cm frame.
My first ride seems Ok on the flat, but I suspect I'm going to run out of puff on the hills?

Research on Sheldon Brown site suggests one can use a Hyperglide cassette ,(as Uniglide cassettes above 21 teeth are almost impossible to find) file out the wide spline section & use it on your Uniglide hub with the original 12t cog holding everthing together.

Has anyone performed this surgery with success? alternative to my problem I guess is new wheels & hub, with a 12/25 cassette, but as its Sant'e group with Sant'e hubs I'm reluctant to do this. Rear space is 125mm.
Vitus Images
Yeah, I did this to get a 34T rear sprocket on my old roadbike. It was pretty straightforward. I got lucky and didn't have to file out any splines either. Indexing was fine, as I recall. ISTR having to use the top two sprockets but that might be my mind playing tricks. Anyway, I followed SB's description and it all went fine.
Wow 34T & it still shifted, I would have thought 26/28 would have been max? Have found a S/H cassette at $15, to try, out of the US Uniglides are pulling $149 plus shipping :(
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Mustang wrote:
high_tea wrote:
Mustang wrote:When I bought my Vitus I unknowingly purchased it with a Uniglide cassette (12/21) (7 speed), with a chain ring count of 53/39 on a 51cm frame.
My first ride seems Ok on the flat, but I suspect I'm going to run out of puff on the hills?

Research on Sheldon Brown site suggests one can use a Hyperglide cassette ,(as Uniglide cassettes above 21 teeth are almost impossible to find) file out the wide spline section & use it on your Uniglide hub with the original 12t cog holding everthing together.

Has anyone performed this surgery with success? alternative to my problem I guess is new wheels & hub, with a 12/25 cassette, but as its Sant'e group with Sant'e hubs I'm reluctant to do this. Rear space is 125mm.
[url=<a href="http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=875]Vitus" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk">http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... &start=875]Vitus</a> Images[/url]
Yeah, I did this to get a 34T rear sprocket on my old roadbike. It was pretty straightforward. I got lucky and didn't have to file out any splines either. Indexing was fine, as I recall. ISTR having to use the top two sprockets but that might be my mind playing tricks. Anyway, I followed SB's description and it all went fine.
Wow 34T & it still shifted, I would have thought 26/28 would have been max? Have found a S/H cassette at $15, to try, out of the US Uniglides are pulling $149 plus shipping :(
:shock:

Yeah, I changed to an MTB derailleur to handle the 34.

peachy

Postby peachy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:17 pm

A Vitus 992 would have to be one of my holy grail bikes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10703870@N ... otostream/

spirito

Postby spirito » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:57 pm

peachy wrote:A Vitus 992 would have to be one of my holy grail bikes.
There's a small one in WA.

http://wa.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sa ... Z355899467
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

peachy

Postby peachy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

spirito wrote:

Thanks spirito, if it were my size id be very very tempted. 8)

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

2 beautiful examples. The Sean Kelly connection is another reason to love the Vitus frames. I reckon it would be fun to kit out a Vitus frame with "drillium" components and an OMAS Ti bolt/BB/headset kit and anything else Ti from the 80's and just see how light you could make it.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 am

GaryF wrote:2 beautiful examples. The Sean Kelly connection is another reason to love the Vitus frames. I reckon it would be fun to kit out a Vitus frame with "drillium" components and an OMAS Ti bolt/BB/headset kit and anything else Ti from the 80's and just see how light you could make it.
Mine is only 600g heavier than my all carbon 2011 Viner.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 am

spirito wrote:

After looking at Vitus bikes in the US (up to $2500) I think this one is on the money, its a Mark 2 possibly 1988. Its reported these cost around 30% more than the most Italian frames at the time, possibly explains why so many are in good condition.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:06 am

Mustang wrote:
high_tea wrote:

Vitus Images
Tried this at the weekend with a sacrificial cassette & it worked Ok albiet a very tight chain on 28, the teeth shape were also very different. But based on this experiment I now have solutions to a more varied cassette size. Will get a longer chain & should have a choice from 15/26?
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 am

spirito wrote:

Figuring I would never see another small in a 992, I was communicating with him about buying the bike, then an email arrives that it was sold!!
Always in my selling career I gave the first enquirer the right of refusal :( very pissed off with myself :evil:
Last edited by Mustang on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am

"Vitus" lapel pins (various)
lapel pins
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:57 pm

one of the bikes I have is my father's Vitus 979, alloy tubes, bonded lugs etc.
Has a full Shimano 600 Ultegra groupset, in excellent condition and has done 10's of 1000's of kms.
I will need to do all the bearings and cables and tyres etc etc. Rim spoke holes are also shot so I will replace the rims and spokes with the same.
Thought you guys might like to see.

7 steel bikes and counting

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for sharing, looks a big frame, & in great condition & a family heirloom to boot.
Keeps us posted with the improvements.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 pm

its actually only a 57cm.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:38 pm

dillonp wrote:its actually only a 57cm.
When you are a 51cm "thats big" :lol:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:45 pm

This months "Ride,cycling review" has a nice article in their Retro review section.
Its a Vitus 1987 Carbone 9 frame, that apparently was Sean Kelly's race bike from the KAS team.
Total weight 6,660g.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Well I'm a member of this society now too :D . Just bought via gumtree here in Tassie a 979 with pretty much a full superbe pro groupset (sans wheels & headset). This is going to be my special occasions bike, but isn't every day special.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet and can't wait for tomorrow. The bike came with some Ambrosio Montreal singles laced to Suzue hubs, with the one fitted tyre completely knackered. I'll swap a set of spare campy clinchers as a temporary fix. 58cm frame which is exactly my size :D .

LG = Low Gear

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 pm

You can keep your Colnago's and Tommasini's! A Vitus with Supurb Pro? Heaven!
LG wrote:Well I'm a member of this society now too :D . Just bought via gumtree here in Tassie a 979 with pretty much a full superbe pro groupset (sans wheels & headset). This is going to be my special occasions bike, but isn't every day special.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet and can't wait for tomorrow. The bike came with some Ambrosio Montreal singles laced to Suzue hubs, with the one fitted tyre completely knackered. I'll swap a set of spare campy clinchers as a temporary fix. 58cm frame which is exactly my size :D .

The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Well, what a find!!!!! not too much to do ? but like when I got mine, the grease in all areas was very old.
Keep us posted & welcome.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:53 pm

Another interesting Vitus/ Hetchins
Hetchins
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

LG

Postby LG » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Mustang wrote:Well, what a find!!!!! not too much to do ? but like when I got mine, the grease in all areas was very old.
Keep us posted & welcome.
Not too much to do other than check the bottom bracket is ok and search for some superbe or superbe pro hubs. The bloke I bought it off (really nice fella) bought it new in the late 80s. He raced for a while then it hung in his shed for around 20 years. The brake levers have no hoods (I'll put some dia-compe's on for the time being), and I'll swap the saddle over for a black one. It's also got a dura-ace ax stem & Cinelli giro d' Italia bars. Will get a few more pics up when I have a chance to clean it properly (and ride it!).

Beautiful bike in fantastic condition.
LG = Low Gear

dillonp

Postby dillonp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm

I have a Superbe Pro front hub for you, $35+post.
16H, VGC with the Suntour QR. Spaced for a 100mm fork. Still spins nice, I have never used it but it is used.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:05 am

Fellas, I know nothing about these Vituses (Vitii? :roll: ). I've picked up that they're bonded rather than welded aluminium - is that right? Certainly looks it from the seams on the lugs and fork. If they are bonded, what do they use?

I'm just comparing the construction to my 1992 Giant Cadex (alloy lugs / carbon tubes).

One thing's for sure, they look the business.

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 am

Re: the 'Ride Cycling Review' magazine article mentioned above. The story is about a 1987 (approx) Vitus Carbone 9 frame that was built up using all the lightest parts available in 1987 or before. It is not Sean Kelly's frame, but similiar to the ones he rode that year. The goal was to get the bike under the current 6.8kg UCI minimum weight, and it came in at 6.66kg. Get a copy of the magazine if you are a Vitus fan. The standard KAS carbone 9 team bikes with Mavic equipment and more robust wheels were about 1 kg heavier.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:33 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:Re: the 'Ride Cycling Review' magazine article mentioned above. The story is about a 1987 (approx) Vitus Carbone 9 frame that was built up using all the lightest parts available in 1987 or before. It is not Sean Kelly's frame, but similiar to the ones he rode that year. The goal was to get the bike under the current 6.8kg UCI minimum weight, and it came in at 6.66kg. Get a copy of the magazine if you are a Vitus fan. The standard KAS carbone 9 team bikes with Mavic equipment and more robust wheels were about 1 kg heavier.
OOoopps, :oops: I glanced at the headlines & posted my comment before reading it? I guess those guys keep their important bikes? would like to see their trophy room.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.