Rotating Tyres to Balance Wear

Dial

Rotating Tyres to Balance Wear

Postby Dial » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am

Curious to know if there is any best practices regarding tyre wear and the replacement of tyres. My back tyre always wears out quicker than my front. Should I be rotating my tyres (front to back, back to front) or should I just not worry and replace the tyre when needed? (current practice)

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am

I've heard it said 'no, you shouldn't', but exactly why, I can't remember. probably to do with the front tyre being used fro braking/handling more, so it should be the better tyre at all times, instead of having 2 equally worn tyres.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:53 am

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:58 am

Correct, like car tyres, you should always have the best tyres at the front. So the easy way is to just keep moving the tyre.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Re: Rotating Tyres to Balance Wear

Postby MichaelB » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:01 am

Dial wrote:Curious to know if there is any best practices regarding tyre wear and the replacement of tyres. My back tyre always wears out quicker than my front. Should I be rotating my tyres (front to back, back to front) or should I just not worry and replace the tyre when needed? (current practice)
Oh dear, here we go again .......

Many will advise against it, but for 98% of people, as long as common sense is used, it is a good way of evening out waer on a tyre.

Did it to mine atfer 1,000km, and am about to do it again.

Have I noticed any difference ?

None at all.

Is the theory correct ?

Yes.

Reality ?

Up to the individual.

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:07 am

True, that. Following that theory, you only swap if the rear tyre wears, then put the new one on the front and swap the front to the rear.
Me, really? I can't be bothered. Ride it til whichever goes bust, then a straight replace.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:12 am

I've done tyre rotation in the past, but no more. The advantage in tyre rotation is that you get to change both tyres at the same time, which is great if you want to change the colour or size. The disadvantage is that you end up with a worn tyre on the front, which also may be a bit squared off.

I'm in preference of putting a new tyre on the front and moving the existing rear tyre to the rear.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:13 am

If you were going to do it...the main thing to look for is if your rear tyre is squared off....ie flat in the middle then a notice corner before tapering to the sidewalls.If so then dont do it as it will handle like a pig and likely let go in a corner when you least expect it.Got to say why bother thou...wear out the rear...put a new one on!..$30 aint that much to spend for peace of mind.

Dial

Postby Dial » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 am

So the answer is Yes and No
No, don't rotate tyres to even wear
Yes, when replacing the back tyre put the new tyre on the front and the old front tyre on the back.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 am

Guess the answer can also depend on your purpose of cycling. Riding on bike paths at 15km/h max and only during the dry, then who cares if the front tyre is squared off. If you do pace, in the rain and/or race, then you don't want to have worn tyre at the front. So the theory makes sense and is even more relevant when you are pushing the limits.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.