Ride suggestions 30km easyish. Company?

bookworm1707

Ride suggestions 30km easyish. Company?

Postby bookworm1707 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:16 pm

I am looking for some ride suggestions about 30km. I live in Blair Athol but willing to drive. Also if I can tag along with anyone that would be great.

I have a good road bike and come from a road riding background, about 20 years ago. I need to lose about 50kg and am trying to get inspired. My current rides are about 20km and avg speed about 22-24kmh. Lots of trips down the torrens paths and a few along the beach.

My preference would be paths, either dedicated or ones on the road, preferably on quiet roads. I am free most afternoons or weekends, if you wouldn't mind me tagging along, I don't mind getting dropped but would love some inspiration!

Daccordi Rider

Re: Ride suggestions 30km easyish. Company?

Postby Daccordi Rider » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Bookworm,

http://www.bikesa.asn.au/

Go to the ride section of this link and you will find a program of group rides that are open to all. In particular lots of people find the Cobwebs ride a great place to start, well organised and plenty of info shared. This is a good place to start and you will meet people and then be able to hook up with other groups that will suit you. All the best.
Certified Brand Snob

TheBrewer

Postby TheBrewer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:07 pm

I think Stephens Terrace is a good place for you to consider as it opens up a million different opportunities for you.

In terms of tracks obviously there at 9th Ave you can head either into or out of town along the Linear Park, and from memory Stephens Tce to Gorge Rd along the bike track is 30ish k's round trip with a few little hills thrown in. The beach is much the same distance, it might be a bit further but much flatter.

You can then head South to Magill, The Parade, Kensy Rd or even as far as Greenhill Rd and venture up into the hills pretty much remaining on bike tracks all the way.

I also like the other side of town around the tram tracks and the path/ roads down to Sturt Rd from Beckman? Ave I think it is near Anzac Highway. You can go back streets from the city right down to Sturt Rd, and meet up with the Veloway along the expressway and get some hills that way too.

bookworm1707

Postby bookworm1707 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 pm

I have seen the cobwebs ride, a bit long at the moment. Once I am getting 40km down then I will use the cobwebs ride to push a bit further.

Good suggestions there Brewer, I go down linear park at the moment, mostly heading down to the beach. will have a go at Anzac hwy / tram path.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:41 pm

+1. Been on a few of these rides. Usually get about 15-20 riders all meeting at Becks Bakehouse in Port Noarlunga, and riding to Willunga via California Road and the C2V trail and back. Takes about 2.5-3 hours and finishes at Beck with a coffee and cake. A bit of 50/50 with dedicated bike tracks and public roads. But mostly the roads have limited traffic and the bike shoulder lanes. Pace is about 20-25kph depending on how many other people are slower/faster. They welcome all riders of all levels.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD