Good Rides near Kallangur

yanjarra

Good Rides near Kallangur

Postby yanjarra » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:09 am

Hi,

I have just moved out to Kallangur and was wondering if anyone could share any good rides/loops with me that arent too inundated with traffic? Coming from Nudgee area I was a bit spoiled with the kedron brook bikeway but I just cant seem to see anywhere out here where I can string together a ride that doesnt require a fair bit of dangerous road riding. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

RonK

Re: Good Rides near Kallangur

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

It's quite a while since I lived at Kallangur, but there were no off road routes that could be strung together then, and I doubt that it has changed much.

North Lakes has a very active cycling community and the bike shop seems to be the main organiser, so perhaps you could start by asking for information there.

My regular long ride from Kallangur was out through Narangba and Burpengary, Deception Bay, Redcliffe, Sandgate and home via Bracken Ridge, Strathpine, Lawnton and Petrie, all on roads.

For a short ride I'd go over Mango Hill to Redcliffe and do a lap of the peninsula and back.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Amonza

Postby Amonza » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Head north to Oakey Flat Road then east out to Bribie Island, most of those are reasonably quiet roads.

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

I did a ride through Kallangur on Christmas day, which ended up at Elimbah, and that was because it was my limit. If you wanted to, and had the courage to ride on the old highway, you can get all the way to Caloundra.

This is a very long ride, but you don't have to go all the way to Caloundra:

http://g.co/maps/kwfrp
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm

- I am unsure if there's a caretaker living at Lakeside these days, but try it on. It is a great place to train, and can be accessed by a rail underpass via Marsden Rd

- A loop I did over 15 years ago - Balstrup, Kerr Rd West, Old Gympie for a few hundred metres, Alma Rd, Marsden or Thompson, Ann, School, Brickworks.

Narangba and Old Gympie are too busy at peak hour in my view.

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm

thanks all....

i rode burpengary road through to morayfield and came home via oakey flat road yesterday but there was too much traffic on these roads and too many places with no shoulder for my liking......so back to square one i guess....i may just have to put the bike in the boot and head to nudgee which is a shame to have to travel so far to feel like i can ride in safety.

i will give lakeside a go though also when this weather clears up as i live right by there.....

thanks again

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:19 pm

yanjarra wrote:thanks all....

i rode burpengary road through to morayfield and came home via oakey flat road yesterday but there was too much traffic on these roads and too many places with no shoulder for my liking......so back to square one i guess....i may just have to put the bike in the boot and head to nudgee which is a shame to have to travel so far to feel like i can ride in safety.

i will give lakeside a go though also when this weather clears up as i live right by there.....

thanks again
OK, if you are prepared to drive to the start, go down to Scarborough and near Morgans Seafood on Reef Point Esplanade there is a little shop and carpark just behind the Scarborough Holiday Village caravan park. From here you can follow the bike path all the way to Shorncliffe Pier and back. There is a short section on the road at Reef Point and again between Scotts Point and Woody Point, but traffic is usually fairly quite around there.

Here is a Google Map. You can see the bike path fairly clearly.

Here is a Streetview of the shop and parking area.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...