front wheel spinning roughly - any ideas?

nimm

front wheel spinning roughly - any ideas?

Postby nimm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:32 pm

The front wheel on my bike has begun to spin roughly. It's a Shimano WH-R550 with about 4700km on the clock. It spins 100% true, but rather than silky smooth as it used to you can definitely feel roughness if that makes any sense. It's evenly rough throughout a revolution, not notchy or rough at a specific point.

Any idea what could have happened to cause this - and how to fix?

I removed the wheel and re-seated it just in case it had something to do with that. I also made sure it was solidly clamped in but no difference. There isn't any side-to-side play either - everything feels / looks like normal.
Last edited by nimm on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:10 pm

That sounds like a classic case of chewed out bearings. Try taking the wheel off and turning the axle by hand. If it does not feel silky smooth, your bearings (and possibly the cones) are shot.

Bearings cost about $5 for a handful, so no big deal there. Cones I'm not up with on price, but last time I got some, they were't expensive.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:00 pm

i just replaced the cones on my 550 front wheel! cost was around the $30 mark. now its as good as new! They almost looked pitted! not sure if its bad hardening or what!
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 pm

dr.gonzo wrote:i just replaced the cones on my 550 front wheel! cost was around the $30 mark. now its as good as new! They almost looked pitted! not sure if its bad hardening or what!
That's what happens when the bearings break down: the cones cop a hiding and get little holes in them as the balls lose their roundness.

$30 is okay though.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

dr.gonzo

Postby dr.gonzo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:50 pm

thats what i thought! but i checked the bearings under light/magnification and they were perfect!
If only i could find a Miniature Mongolian Swamp Donkey!

09 Giant TCR Avanced
05 Giant CRX1 - With Carbon Goodies
oh & a sweet Dragster...

buster

Postby buster » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 pm

It sounds like your front wheel bearings are stuffed. Have a look at this video which should give you a few clues about what to look for.
http://bicycletutor.com/overhaul-wheel-bearings/

nimm

Postby nimm » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:50 pm

Thanks fellas.

I'll take a look over the weekend - although I'll need to grab some tools to actually pull it apart.
/ Giant OCR / Go Vegan /

big.birdd

Postby big.birdd » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:20 pm

hmm cool

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:13 am

The right sized cone spanners are about all you'll need.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:50 am

The bearings will feel rough of they have any dirt in them. If the hubs have been wet, ... with muddy water, then this is also a posibility.
If left unchecked, the contaminants in the lubricant are ground down untill the bearing balls are running in an abrasive paste.
This is also a common cause of bearing failure.

Once the hub is stripped, clean it untill it is almost sterile & examine the bearing cups in the hub. If the surface is still serviceable, then look at the balls & cones, but replacing these is a waste of time effort & money if the hub surfaces are not up to snuff.

I prefer to use a marine grease when repacking these bearings & do your final adjustment of the bearings in the frame or fork. You will find that when you tighten the skewer, it actually compresses the cones together just a hair & can ruin your precision adjustment, so adjust, clamp in fork & test, then release, re-adjust, clamp & test etc.
A pain to be sure, but once you get it absolutely right, you will feel the difference on the road.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.