Gone Fishing...

GJ_Coop

Re: Gone Fishing...

Postby GJ_Coop » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:59 pm

Sorry I missed that "except" in there.

In general the trout season starts 1 October but for some reason down there there's quite a few rivers with later dates, or even an open season.

That was from some official looking site, Southland conservancy, but exactly what site, err, I've misplaced.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Righto, just ordered one of these Ron. Might get a chance to try it out on some bream in the estuaries around Walpole - Denmark - Albany In a few weeks (if it gets here in time)...

RonK

Gone Fishing...

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:02 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Righto, just ordered one of these Ron. Might get a chance to try it out on some bream in the estuaries around Walpole - Denmark - Albany In a few weeks (if it gets here in time)...
Mine took a little over a week, so you should be right.
A legal sized bream would be good sport on the little pen rod I think.
If you are going to use it in salt water you'll need to give it a good rinse off afterwards.

Posted via Tapatalk
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 am

Max wrote:Why's that?
Personally, I don't want to take the chance of accidentally injuring or worse, killing a Platypus. Often closed rivers and many part of rivers that are closed. are closed to protect wildife.

Illegal fishing with opera house traps and set lines and lazy fishermen failing to recover lures and lines is the biggest cause of platypus deaths ... from drowning.

Opera house nets being used illegally to capture Spiny Freshwater Crayfish in creeks and rivers take a heavy toll on the platypus. This type of net is a death trap for platypuses, water rats, turtles and some diving water birds. These nets are often left overnight when some of these animals are most active. In NSW it is illegal to use opera house nets east of the Newell Highway and in Victoria offenders found, detected, possessing or using an opera house net in or close to inland waters can be issued with a $597 penalty infringement notice or be charged under summons to appear in court and face a maximum fine of $11,300. Vessels and vehicles may also be seized in Victoria. Under the Wildlife Act 1975 the maximum penalty for killing a platypus is $5,500 and/or six months imprisonment. Opera house nets can be used on private property in both NSW and Victoria.

Fisherman killed two Platypus in the Murrumbidgee River here in the ACT, just last week. Fortunately both fishermen were caught by ACT Fishing Inspectors but unfortunately only given on the spot fines of $1100 each. Prosecution, the maximum fine and 6 month gaol would have been a more fitting penalty.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:21 am

RonK wrote:Jeez Wazza - keep posting those photos and one day I'm going to turn up on your doorstep and camp there until you take me on a trip.
Ron, Thank you for your kind comments but anyone would go mad touring with me. If they were thinking that what should be happening, should be a bike ride. I'm too slow and I stop too often to look at stuff and I fully subscribe to the use of a bike being a push-bike.

I started reading a report from two tourists from Old Blighty cycling around Oz, and I found it too frustrating. Especially when they rode through my neck-of-the-bush and saw nothing that this region offers. Nothing at all. I kept saying to myself, if they had only slowed down they wouldn't have missed many magnificent areas, features and views ... one k up this track they would have seen something extraordinary and one of the greatest views in Oz and another k up that track there is this and they got so close to here and there. They saw nothing but did it with mind numbing photography.

Like Detail aka GJ Coop wrote about his travelling, like a wandering ant, I haven't found a way off the ant hill called the Great Dividing Range yet, it is slow push-biking ... hike-a-bike some call it and not many riders like playing that game.

Above the valley of the Tumut River, in the Jagungal Wilderness. A great place to ride and to fish in the more isolated streams.

Above Lady Northcote Canyon the headwaters of the Geehi ... still gone fishing, but I like to do a bit of push-biking. Just don't ride here up on top ... push-bike or carry the bike until you can coast down hill to the Geehi.

On the Ram's Heads. There is no fishing up top in the headwaters of the Snowy but it is a good ride into Ethridge Ridge along the Summit Road. It wasn't so long ago that we could ride to the summit of Kosci'. With the newly proposed Kosciuszko Heritage Trail who knows where we will be able to ride to, again.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:59 pm

Well, I have a Mepps Ultralite kit and a Mepps Spin Fly kit on the way. Aren't they purty...

They cost as much as the rod and reel. Now I've gotta getta trout or two.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am

Ron, G'day.

Mepps Men understand everything about their Mepps lures. What have you heard from Mepps lately? ... http://www.mepps.com/resources/lure-sounds/

Also, if you spot any fishing stores in the regions that you're visiting, in the store they might have a cards or different cards of 6 flies that are seasonal flies for the particular region, usually about $6-10. Fish can be most particular with what they like to strike at.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:57 am

A shot for Max.

The Platypus in my neck-of-the-bush have been a little wet this week.

Warren.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 pm

WarrenH wrote:Mepps Men understand everything about their Mepps lures. What have you heard from Mepps lately?
Hi Wazza - it's an interesting story isn't it. Probably a grain of truth in there amongst the "spin". :lol: Hope you are keeping your wheels dry - looks like we may have a cyclone forming just north of here. :(

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:41 am

My brother lives in Balfour (a great place to be if you're into trout fishing) which isn't that far from the Mavora Lakes. I've never had much luck at the Mavora Lakes myself - the fish are cunning & very wary of fishers (fly, spinning or trolling from a kayak). I have caught quite a few rainbow trout out of the Mararoa River though but beware - they do tend to lurk in fast water (look for a "seam" in the water) & fight like crazy for the first few minutes. I'd recommend a Rapala lure (imitation brown or rainbow trout) for the lakes & a black & gold or silver toby for the river. I haven't been fishing in NZ since didymo (aka rock snot) arrived (probably on the felt boots of a fly fisherman) but I've been told it has not been kind to the Mararoa. Just remember you have to clean & dry all your fishing gear (especially footwear) before you move to a different waterway. All the best with it - nothing better than standing by the river eating a fresh trout cooked in wet newspaper on a bed of embers.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:40 am

RonK wrote: Hope you are keeping your wheels dry - looks like we may have a cyclone forming just north of here. :(
Ron, the weather is here, I wish you were beautiful.

That creek with the flooded Platypus sculpture above, is Ginninderra Creek. There are spots where I can normally step over it where I live in West Belconnen. It has been hard to keep the wheels dry this week because at the end of our the street the creek has been 100m wide for several days.

... but 4 kilometres further down the creek, where it goes over the 65m high falls, just before entering the Murrrumbidgee River, it looks like this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsydV2_B52o

This should be a good year for the Silver Perch. They require clean sandbanks to breed. The sticky muddy silt is being flushed from the creeks and rivers exposing the river gravels again, this is good ... except that the mud is being washed into peoples homes down stream.

Now there are cyclones forming in your neighbourhood? Good luck.

Warren.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:49 am

WarrenH wrote:... but 4 kilometres further down the creek, where it goes over the 65m high falls, just before entering the Murrrumbidgee River, it looks like this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsydV2_B52o
The falls are indeed impressive, and I had no idea there was anything like them so close to Canberra.

Tim the Yowieman - is that your alter-ego Wassa? Love the hat...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am

BandedRail wrote:My brother lives in Balfour (a great place to be if you're into trout fishing) which isn't that far from the Mavora Lakes. I've never had much luck at the Mavora Lakes myself - the fish are cunning & very wary of fishers (fly, spinning or trolling from a kayak). I have caught quite a few rainbow trout out of the Mararoa River though but beware - they do tend to lurk in fast water (look for a "seam" in the water) & fight like crazy for the first few minutes. I'd recommend a Rapala lure (imitation brown or rainbow trout) for the lakes & a black & gold or silver toby for the river. I haven't been fishing in NZ since didymo (aka rock snot) arrived (probably on the felt boots of a fly fisherman) but I've been told it has not been kind to the Mararoa. Just remember you have to clean & dry all your fishing gear (especially footwear) before you move to a different waterway. All the best with it - nothing better than standing by the river eating a fresh trout cooked in wet newspaper on a bed of embers.
Yes, I can see that Balfour would be a great location for a trout fisherman. Thanks for the tips on the lures too, I'll see if I can get them in a small size for this little rod. I must say I had my doubts that NZ trout would be any easier to catch. I go with high hopes and low expectations.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 am

Pulled this in last night from my bush camp in Yakima Canyon, Washington State, USA on my Pen Rod. Used a small weight, 1m leader and this playdough bait stuff called power bait. What a great way to spend the evening!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:48 am

Fantastic Pete, great to see the pen rod is a real chance to catch a fish.
I'll be putting mine into action in about 10 weeks time, when my Gone Fushing tour of NZ starts. Fresh trout for dinner anyone?

BTW, what leader did you use. I've been wondering how best to rig it.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Just a metre of the line it came with. I figure if it'll break that line, I don't want to try to reel it in on this little rod, nor will I likely be able to eat it all...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2