Post Your Ride

Juppy

Re: Post Your Ride

Postby Juppy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:40 pm

Of course. It is very popular. Especially the last two years.
People like crazy. Everybody began to assemble 29ers.
But I think that for races with my height the 29er is not very suitable.
So I will assemble a 26er hardtail.

By the way, congratulations with new bike!

PS
Background buildings is the Zhukovskiy City.
http://maps.google.ru/maps/ms?msa=0&msi ... 13e63f9a9a

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:58 pm

I have a Russian friend who is a keen mountain biker. :D

It is wonderful to see that you have such a thriving mountain bike scene around Moscow. Do you continue to ride and race in the winter, or are the conditions too difficult?

By the way, I have the same model Cannondale, in Silver. I have changed the wheels to Crossmax SLR, and replaced the SRAM/Avid gear with Shimano XT dual-control brakes and drivetrain. I have a son similar age to yours. I am having some challenges getting him to train for the 24hr teams race we are doing in 3 weeks ... girlfriends :roll:

Juppy

Postby Juppy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:I have a Russian friend who is a keen mountain biker. :D

It is wonderful to see that you have such a thriving mountain bike scene around Moscow. Do you continue to ride and race in the winter, or are the conditions too difficult?

By the way, I have the same model Cannondale, in Silver. I have changed the wheels to Crossmax SLR, and replaced the SRAM/Avid gear with Shimano XT dual-control brakes and drivetrain. I have a son similar age to yours. I am having some challenges getting him to train for the 24hr teams race we are doing in 3 weeks ... girlfriends :roll:
About winter: :)

Of course, in winter, conditions for the bike some more difficult. Even at prepared track speeds is slower and you have to steer more precise, because of snow.
But it is all the same interesting. :)

I also changed some of the components on my Rize:
Brakes and triggers

front derailleur (old Shimano XT)

And rotors

With age, the son, too, tries to wriggle out of sports.
It appears other interests too - girls :lol:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 pm

Bentnose wrote:I posted this a while ago when I first built it up but I've upgraded anumber of parts since and now consider it to be finished, well maybe until I save up for those new suspension forks :)

That bike would look good with my seat :D

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Do you have an On One bike to go with that seat Mugglechops?
No signature

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Looks like it might be lurking underneath the seat? :wink:

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:06 am

I can see a bit of white and the brake hose attachments look like On One's, is it a white Inbred gen 2, or am I completely off the mark?
No signature

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:00 am

No its a Merida CX bike. Had an on-one gimp seat years ago and it was comfy. Saw the in-bred and bought it and its good for 150km rides.

Picked up my 29er today. Bloody rain so no ride yet. Should be dirty by tomorrow as I am riding it to work.

I changed the brakes to XT icetechs and put some new XT trail pedals on it.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 am

Some vey nice bikes in here, but this is an MTB section so how about a bit of dirt peoples ?

I put this up in the bike gallery. It must of freaked them out seeing dirt on a bike not sitting in front of a cream garage door, not on the big ring.

If it's any consolation it is slammed down without any spacers under the stem.

My Tallboy got a free mud pack facial in Sundays 4 hour at Murennbong.

Image[/quote]
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:27 pm

One of my good mates has one of them. Very nice bike. I'm going to try to persuade him to let me swap the pedals and take it for a test ride - he has flats on his and I can't get with them with my normal riding shoes. :(

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Just finished a shock seal replacement this evening after it felt weird last night - really soft for the first 10mm of travel and then ramping up suddenly. Thought maybe the negative air chamber seal was gone. Anyway, all good now after a trip to City Bike Depot for the seal kit.

Put the Crossmax wheels back on after fitting some new rubber for the Mont. Took it for a spin - man the bike feels good, accelerates so fast :) And looks a lot more weapon-like :D

Juppy

Postby Juppy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:20 pm

trailgumby, you need to slide down the rubber bumper on a fork.
otherwise you can damage the frame by the fork's leg.
The rubber bumper have to touch the down tube when front wheel fully turned to the left.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:38 pm

It still does the job where it is, but yes, it would be better down the bottom. Moved it up to clean around the base there on the weekend and forgot to slide it back. :oops:

limetang

Postby limetang » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Thought I would post this bike again.... Its been through a few evolutions as Ive tinkered to find out what works for me and what doesnt.
Helped me a lot with my next purchase..... pics to be uploaded Wednesday!
Recon Gold RL forks, Deore M596 Brakeset, Ergon GA1 grips are the latest additions and theyre all great! The brakes especially compared to Shimano M445's
Weighs in at 12.3kgs including pedals, cage & Garmin sensor, which is not too bad with this frame i reckon!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Nice! :D

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Hey Trailgumby, what are you using for a chain stay wrap on your cannondale? I've been using lizard skins neoprene thing that has velcro holding it together but it moves around too much. Is that an inner tube taped onto the stay or an actual product?
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Inner tube slit down one side and overlapped 50% each wrap. Secured at each end by a cable tie. You need to trial fit first and then work out how you're going to cut the ends so that the first bit and the end both go on square on the chainstay but allow you to wrap it at the required angle.

Funny story: After my first race back in 2008 I made the mistake of leaving my number plate on the handlebars when I took the ferry to work. Parked it in the rack, chose a seat and enjoyed the pretty harbour coastline sliding by.

Came back to my bike just as we were passing Taronga Zoo to find about six people drooling all over my kermit green bike checking out all the finer details, and the thing they were most taken with, it seems, was ... <drum roll> ... the inner-tube chainstay chainslap protector! :lol: Go figure. :?

It's starting to look a bit tired up near the cranks, might be time to dig another one out of the retired parts bin.

Occasionally I see discards by the side of the road and pick them up 'cos I don't actually use tubes in any of my mtbs and haven't for 3-4 years. I think that one was a BMX tube that some kid just chucked on the footpath because they couldn't be bothered sticking it in their pocket for a kilometre down the hill to the Allambie Heights shops. :x So I re-cycled it (boom-tish!) :mrgreen:

Juppy

Postby Juppy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm solved this poblem with two holes on Lizard Skins wrapper. :)

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Hmmm - I will try the inner tube I think, the lizard skin is looking quite ratty (and my bike hasn't got anywhere convenient to anchor the wrapper like that one Juppy - nice job though!)
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 am

Sliced up neoprene mousepad and some cable ties does the job on my Trance. Might try some old tube next time, not like there isn't a few in the shed.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kenzo

Post Your Ride

Postby Kenzo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 am

trailgumby wrote:Inner tube slit down one side and overlapped 50% each wrap.
that's how I've wrapped my stay protectors. The tube I used also has a thin blue line and has created a nice pattern along the wrap. Have the old-tube style protectors on all but the singlespeed (which doesn't have any chain slap issues).

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:38 pm

In the past I've used spiral wrap for cables. It's hard as nails and comes in white, neutral and black.
No signature

limetang

Postby limetang » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:48 pm

New toy.... NOS 2011 Giant Anthem X2
Size is XL, fits me very comfortably and is set up similar to my hardtail.
Im doing the 12hr event at the Kona Dirty Weekend in Adelaide here in May, cant wait to see how she goes.
Just waiting on a chainstay protector + bottle cage! ( oh yeh and wheel decals and dork disc..... gotta go!!)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Nice bike! :D

:idea: You could consider moving your controls further inboard so you can get the one-finger braking thing happening. I reckon you have enough room before the centre taper to move them in a good 50mm or more if you so choose.

That means you still get plenty of braking power, but less arm pump on the rough stuff because you've got 3 fingers and thumb around the grip instead of only 2.

For some reason they always seem to come with the controls spaced out much too wide ex-factory. :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey, it's my bikes little brother 8)

Gumby is right about the controls, tho' if you have short little thumbs like me, you'll have to run the levers inboard of the pods and that means jettisoning the indicators. Not a big job.

Dunno about your sizing, but slamming the stem on my size (M) Trance did wonders for the handling, front end feels much more planted.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011