The "Excuses" Thread

Blackrock

Re: The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Blackrock » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:00 am

struck down with man-flu this week. Have had to look at the bike hanging in the garage and it has been made harder by the glorious morning weather.

Damn you man-flu....
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alkhoo

Postby alkhoo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 pm

No riding for me this week. The bike's in for a service and won't be back till Wednesday. On Wednesday, have to go check on the new house - final walkthrough before handover. Mother-in-law is also arriving from overseas tomorrow and my sister-in-law is about to give birth anytime in the next few days. Earliest ride might be Friday followed by Sunday.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Didn't ride today because I want to race this afternoon and the race is across Sydney from where I work, no way I could cycle there in time (or have anything left for the race if I did).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't want to hear a peep from any of you in SEQ about free public transport tomorrow. Just because the bus/train is free does not constitute an excuse. :shock: :lol:

I've ridden to work every day this year and I have no intention of giving up tomorrow! :mrgreen:

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Comedian wrote:I don't want to hear a peep from any of you in SEQ about free public transport tomorrow. Just because the bus/train is free does not constitute an excuse. :shock: :lol:

I've ridden to work every day this year and I have no intention of giving up tomorrow! :mrgreen:

But it’s freeee

Seriously though I was ROFL when I heard about it and then I was “Get a bike” :lol:
2012 Oppy A4

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
Comedian wrote:I don't want to hear a peep from any of you in SEQ about free public transport tomorrow. Just because the bus/train is free does not constitute an excuse. :shock: :lol:

But it’s freeee

Seriously though I was ROFL when I heard about it and then I was “Get a bike” :lol:
Mate... every day this year commuting has been FREEEE for me. :D

Those bloody Vittorias won't wear out and I smear a little lube on the chain once every couple of weeks... I put some batteries in the light.. that's about it.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Add really bad weather to days off, the Kona stripped down for a birthday treat that hasn't gone smoothly and short notice chores for many family members and I haven't ridden since Saturday :( Brakes on the Kona still aint right so it's walk and train to and from work tomorrow.

All crap and no ride makes Mulger Bill a little crazy... :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:37 pm

HTFU MB! :lol:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Oh I'm good now, even if it took me too many hours to get the rear brake just so :oops:

Took the long way in, just 'cos :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Good you're back on the saddle, MB. Now get back to the "how was your commute" thread :D

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Didn’t ride today because I’d set my alarm for my clock in time at work instead of get up in plenty of time to ride to work and cool down :oops:
2012 Oppy A4

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:35 am

Aftera couple of days of hinting at it, my throat at last has hit me with a vengeance. Raging red and not at all nice to taste.

For what I think is the ifrst weekend of the year outside of Mauritius jaunt I will not be riding in to Sassys and the rest of the long ride I like to do.

At least I got out and about yesterday for a few errands to the hardware and so forth. But the ride back from a party at 2:00am was probably not such a smart idea.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Not commiting tomorrow...NO WORK ...Best Excuse ever :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:40 am

Not riding today as I need the car to pick up my shiny new bike after work :D

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Not riding today as I need the car to pick up my shiny new bike after work :D
Now you will be creating a "behold my shiny new bike" thread, won't you??? :D. Congrats mate!

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Mugglechops

Re: The

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Max wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Not riding today as I need the car to pick up my shiny new bike after work :D
Now you will be creating a "behold my shiny new bike" thread, won't you??? :D. Congrats mate!

Max

----------
Wont be shiny for long :D

bosvit

Re: The

Postby bosvit » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Mugglechops wrote:
Max wrote:

Max

----------
Wont be shiny for long :D
Are you talking dirty Muggles?.....

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:28 am

Not today, not today....
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Both my Kona and my cycle computer are getting fixed. Kona being my wet weather ride is no biggie as it isn’t raining. The lack of computer sorta stymies my enthusiasm for being able to measure things (no dirty jokes thanks :) ) Thought I’d try to shoot over straight after work to WOW and see if any Contour gear was discounted but going by the news I didn’t bother
2012 Oppy A4

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:59 pm

Couldn't ride yesterday or today due to:

1. Yesterday I needed to be at the bike shop in time to pick up my road bike before they closed and

2. Today because it was flogging down this morning and I am a giant softc#*k :lol:

The dumb thing is I would have made it home faster on the bike yesterday due to road flooding causing chaos and this afternoon the weather was great. :cry:

I'll need to pull my finger out on the weekend to keep my weekly mileage up.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

JBark

Postby JBark » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:16 am

Ugh, appendix out on Saturday, no riding for me for a couple weeks. It's killing me not being able to ride, especially after I bought a new bike literally hours before ending up in the ER.

Max

The "Excuses" Thread

Postby Max » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:55 am

JBark wrote:Ugh, appendix out on Saturday, no riding for me for a couple weeks. It's killing me not being able to ride, especially after I bought a new bike literally hours before ending up in the ER.
Oh, that sucks :( If you need someone to look after that new bike for you, though... I'm sure there's people here who'd be willing to help out ;)

Max

----------

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:41 am

I've got 165kms in the legs since Monday, and I always pull up really sore after riding through hard rain (and foot deep "puddles"). I feel that's justified :mrgreen:

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:32 pm

JBark wrote:Ugh, appendix out on Saturday, no riding for me for a couple weeks. It's killing me not being able to ride, especially after I bought a new bike literally hours before ending up in the ER.
Appendix out for me on Saturday too!!
Went up to Newcastle for work, supposed to overnight, steak dinner and all that, but had to go to 'walk-in medical clinic' instead. Doc said, go up to the hospital and at 2330hrs I was admitted. One day making way for car crash victims and op was on Sat.
Off work for a week and no heavy lifting for six weeks. Guess I won't be up for riding for at least two...
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomness

Postby tomness » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 pm

I had my appendix out 2 years ago and was doing very gentle rides a week after the op and a short mtb race just over 2 weeks after. I was able to have keyhole surgery though, which is a much less invasive procedure. Plus I was pretty fit then, so I healed well. And I was very careful to watch for post op infection.

Obviously your situations could vary and you need to be realistic about what you can do after an operation. No point in rushing back onto the bike and causing even worse problems. I definitely avoided heavy lifting for quite a few weeks after my operation.