WA Bike Network Plan for public release

CycleSnail

WA Bike Network Plan for public release

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:14 am

The BTA reports that the WABN Plan will be presented to the public on the 19.3.12 1800 at the Alexander Library.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Re: WA Bike Network Plan for public release

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Pity it is a Monday evening, would like to have got along.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:Pity it is a Monday evening, would like to have got along.

Andrew
We got the BTA AGM on Tuesday night, come around for a beer and we will talk about what we learned on Monday. All people riding bicycles are invited....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:19 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Pity it is a Monday evening, would like to have got along.

Andrew
We got the BTA AGM on Tuesday night, come around for a beer and we will talk about what we learned on Monday. All people riding bicycles are invited....
Tuesday I can make :)

Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:02 am

CycleSnail, what a shameless plug for BTA's AGM Meeting on 20 March 2012 at 5:30pm - more details here.

In relation to the WA Bike Network Plan on the 19 March 2012 at 5:30pm, I find this very, very, very interesting that it is being held at the Alexander Library. Alexander Library was used back in Sept 2007 for a consultation forum for the next Perth Bike Network document - for those poor at maths, that is around 4.5 years ago. At that session we were asked to provide feedback on the venue, with the biggest complaint being the lack of bike parking at the library. Doesn't anyone find this ironically that this feedback hasn't been listened to and the public launch is occuring again at the same venue where once again, a large proportion of the people attending will be travelling by bike.

I've found the document I prepared for that 2007 meeting, where I had listed such items as Hutton St, Cedric St, Karrinyup Rd, Gribble Rd, Civic Place overpass, City of Perth and also suggested that PBN should run on the west of the freeway at the recently opened Ikea Store (doesn't time travel fast when you think that Ikea has been at this location for around 5 years now).

I gave a hard copy of that document to a member of BikeWest.

I'm really hopeful that these items and more will be addressed in the WA Bike Plan, and that the Alexander Library now has more cycling parking.

I'm hopeful that this does not come as a surprise, I will be attending the WA Bike Network Plan event.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am

I'll be there with glow in the dark spokey dokes on* :mrgreen:

*not literally :P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:44 pm

rolandp wrote:CycleSnail, what a shameless plug for BTA's AGM Meeting on 20 March 2012 at 5:30pm - more details here.
Thanks for the heads-up. Missed this notice. Will be there :)

Andrew

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:15 pm

WABN Plan will be launched by Minister Buswell 13 March 2012 09.30
I'll provide a synopsis soon afterwards
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I have just been adviseed by Dept of Transport staff that the WABN Plan is a draft for 3 months of public comment.
Errr we gave feedback ffour and half years ago and have been calling for this continually.
Dejavu?

Edit - added

I have sent an email to DoT staff to clarify (this is edited)

How soon until we see the final WABN Plan? After three months public comment and consultation, what are the structured timelines within DoT to bring the final plan out?

And we do it all over again.
Really looking forward to seeing a structured implementation plan that uses the already identified priorities that have been established for over twenty five years, funding strategies, partnerships and timelines for building cycling infrastructure in a coordinated fashion.

We dont want a plan for a plan, we want a plan.

fixed

Postby fixed » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:56 pm

And the response from DoT Director Craig Wooldridge
The consultation period is required to ensure that the wider public has input into the final plan. Our experience with the Public Transport Plan consultation late last year has demonstrated that the public is very interested in providing input into strategic plans before they are finalised. During the consultation period the usual cycling activities will continue and a number of these activities tie into the delivery of the new plan.

A review of the consultation comments will be undertaken after the consultation period and supplied to government. We are planning to start the implementation group shortly after the consultation period closes.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:31 am

Give me a spade, I'm happy to start digging the tunnel under Karrinyup Rd intersection. I should have started this four years ago, as I'm sure I would have finished it by now.

It had better be a really good draft Plan.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 am

rolandp wrote:It had better be a really good draft Plan.
If the experience with the Bicycle Regulations is anything to go by, I wouldn't be getting to excited; after all this is the Department of Transport we are talking about here.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

The BTA will try to help them to make a good plan. We will try to have some feedback sessions within the three months period.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 am

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am

And from the second article:
There is no funding commitment but, under the plan, government and cycling representatives would co-ordinate its implementation. The number of people cycling to work or for leisure had increased more than 500 per cent since 1996, with an estimated 300,000 cyclists taking to Perth roads and paths each month, the plan said.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:10 am

rolandp wrote:And from the second article:
There is no funding commitment but, under the plan, government and cycling representatives would co-ordinate its implementation. The number of people cycling to work or for leisure had increased more than 500 per cent since 1996, with an estimated 300,000 cyclists taking to Perth roads and paths each month, the plan said.
From the paper "They include expanding existing bike paths, including an extension from Grant Street in Cottesloe to Fremantle - a stretch where a 26-year-old cyclist was killed last week after he was hit by a car."

That is over 8 km, and at their current costs ($3.6mio =1.8km) the first ten million, and some, have gone. This plan needs $50mio pa to have a real impact. The 1995 plan was looking for $110mio over ten years...

From the paper "It recommends creating an online journey planner to provide route options for cyclists and information about travel times, end-of-trip facilities and storage facilities".... how about looking it up on "Ride the City"

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 am

Lots of talk again so far. There is a large increase in funding, but it is coming from a very low base, so it's still minuscule.

As you say, the Grant Street to Fremantle path is going to cost many biscuits, this sort of thing will need separate cash injections to ever get off the ground.

Where is minister Buswell launching the plan?

Geoff Hutchison will be talking about the bike plan on ABC 720 this morning. As he says, "plan with absolutely no money".

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

From Inmycommunity ...

THE Town of Cottesloe desperately needs a bike freeway from Fremantle to Perth to get cyclists off Stirling Highway and Curtin Avenue, where it is “quite apparent cyclists were risking life and limb”, Mayor Kevin Morgan says.

The Town had been waiting 16 years for the State Government to build the “key spinal path” from Fremantle to Perth so Cottesloe could link it to secondary east-west bike paths.

“The congestion on Curtin Avenue is diabolical, it’s a very difficult road,” Mr Morgan said.

“There are big trucks and mass amounts of vehicles all trying to move north/south, cyclists trying to move north/south, and school parents moving east/west every morning and afternoon.”

Here is a thought Mayor Morgan, stop whining and do something .... you can build the section missing in the Town of Cottesloe. City of Fremantle is getting on with the connection between Curtin Avenue and Tydeman Road.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:52 pm

The draft plan is available for download from DoT.

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:33 pm

I got three spare hardcopies at the BTA office

dampier

Postby dampier » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Just a few questions, Is this open to public submissions, if so how do I go about it? and if possible is there a sample submission letter so I can get an idea of the format and tone.
Thanks

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 pm

dampier wrote:Just a few questions, Is this open to public submissions, if so how do I go about it? and if possible is there a sample submission letter so I can get an idea of the format and tone.
Thanks
There will be plenty of information and discussion at the WA Bike Network Plan presentation:
Date: Monday 19 March 2012
Time: 5:30pm for a 6pm to 8pm presentation
RSVP: ollie pasarelli by 14 March 2012 ollie.pasarelli@transport.wa.gov.au
This is a public event, all are invited.

Be sure to RSVP by tomorrow! Walk-in's will probably be fine anyways.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:08 am

dampier wrote:Just a few questions, Is this open to public submissions, if so how do I go about it? and if possible is there a sample submission letter so I can get an idea of the format and tone.
Thanks
You have three ways to make a submission on the Western Australian Bicycle Network Plan 2012 - 2021. Comments on the plan can be made:

Online by completing the online questionnaire;
via Email to itp@transport.wa.gov.au; and
via Phone at (08) 6551 6000 and ask for a Cycling Infrastructure team member to make comment on the WABN Plan.

Comments are being accepted up to June 17, 2012.

Regards
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 am

CycleSnail wrote:I got three spare hardcopies at the BTA office
CycleSnail, can you cut them up into 10cm x 10cm sheets, need some for the rest room.

Just look at the acronyms page, and I was hopeful there would be PCP, BL, and their isn't any (Prinicple Cycling Path, Bike Lane). Shared paths were the growing step, we've out-grown them and time for dedicated cycling infrastructure.

The chart on page 18 shows that the Mitchell PSP route is only completed by around 50%, but this won't change until Stirling Alliance is undertaken (ie 8 years out). The remaining outstanding PSP in this area is outside the 15km limit, so again won't be undertaken.

The chart on page 20, Cost Escalation vrs Funding Allocation is unbelievable, and the longer we wait to address this, the costs are going up, with the allocated funds remaing the same for several years.

And another classic find, page 40, Best Practice Findings:
17 A lack of local government support for cycle networks and staff shortages can be barriers to implementation
This is BEST practice? We already have shown that a lot of the local government grant money goes unspent.

I need to reread this again prior to Monday's meeting, I must be missing something.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:48 am

Rolande,
I need to reread this again prior to Monday's meeting, I must be missing something
Sadly I dont think so.